Fitness...do you?

Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That's also possible. My attention span when it comes to BE threads is, er, minimal. Partly due to the fact that it's impossible to remember what was discussed where since we wander all over the place.
The thread had gone dormant for a few months as well, it was just recently posted to again, so it's easy to forget.

I don't get use out of a gym membership, and since my theory is that the best exercise is the one that you actually do, I'll stick with rowing for now. Maybe throw in some situps and pushups or something.
I'm torn. I joined so I could use the treadmill to start couch to 5K, and so I could try lifting weights because I heard it helps with endurance and general fitness (which it absolutely does), along with other benefits like functional strength and obviously muscle is better than fat on the days where I inadvertently go into a surplus. But now that I can actually run, I wonder if I really need to lift the weights anymore, I mean what good is that really going to do me at 40, that I couldn't get from bodyweight fitness or calisthenics?

But I'm sort of invested, and my gym is super dirt cheap (like sub $30.00 a month with no additional charges or fees).
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The thread had gone dormant for a few months as well, it was just recently posted to again, so it's easy to forget.

I'm torn. I joined so I could use the treadmill to start couch to 5K, and so I could try lifting weights because I heard it helps with endurance and general fitness (which it absolutely does), along with other benefits like functional strength and obviously muscle is better than fat on the days where I inadvertently go into a surplus. But now that I can actually run, I wonder if I really need to lift the weights anymore, I mean what good is that really going to do me at 40, that I couldn't get from bodyweight fitness or calisthenics?

But I'm sort of invested, and my gym is super dirt cheap (like sub $30.00 a month with no additional charges or fees).

Actually, I think that the older you get the more important weights become, so that you don't lose muscle mass. It's good for all sort of things. Bodyweight gets some of it, eg pushups. Every injury I've ever had, I've been told to lift weight to strengthen the muscle.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I think that the older you get the more important weights become, so that you don't lose muscle mass. It's good for all sort of things. Bodyweight gets some of it, eg pushups. Every injury I've ever had, I've been told to lift weight to strengthen the muscle.
That doesn't make my decision any easier

It does help with running and soccer though, especially goalkeeping. I should go back for a week or two, deload all the way back to the empty bar and see how far I get. If I can get my squat back up to 225 again, it might be worth it. Though, for about $4-500.00 I could get all the bits and bobs to do the same thing at home.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It does help with running and soccer though, especially goalkeeping. I should go back for a week or two, deload all the way back to the empty bar and see how far I get. If I can get my squat back up to 225 again, it might be worth it. Though, for about $4-500.00 I could get all the bits and bobs to do the same thing at home.

If the extra step of getting to the gym is the obstacle, I would say go for having the stuff at home if you can swing it. I got my Concept II off Craigslist at a screaming deal for just that reason.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

If the extra step of getting to the gym is the obstacle, I would say go for having the stuff at home if you can swing it. I got my Concept II off Craigslist at a screaming deal for just that reason.
It is and it isn't. It's only a half hour drive and it's worth it for the lower cost. But again, that's an hour of traveling plus at least 45 minutes actually working out etc. I'll give it another go, I think, and see how I feel after a week or two.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It went well.... I managed a split of 2.29. Our coach gave us very specific instructions - stroke rate of 24, maintain split rate throughout. ie don't go mad at first and then paddle to the end.
I messed up the start - started the timer inadvertently and only realised that it would completely mess up my times when I'd done almost 1k meters. So I started again. I was absolutely cream crackered at the end. Coach reckons I would get it down to 2.25 if I did it again since I had actually rowed almost 6k.
Doesn't matter - I'm in the 8 for the regatta!! In a novice women's 8 and mixed open 8 I think.
I started rowing because my son was rowing and I was having to get him there, wait around and get home. I love it. I like being in a single for sculling. Otherwise very happy to sweep. Even the thought of a pair terrifies me! Might try a 4 this weekend. We'll see.
My son is now away at university in NL and we have such a great relationship and have loads of chats about rowing. Just for that, it's been worth it.

Good job on the 5K (or 6K!) and congratulations on being selected for the regatta. I really enjoyed watching Ken's video as well - awesome performance
I bought my erg 15 yrs ago when i couldn't get down to the water any more. I have done a few marathons on it and trained for some 2Ks at the BIRC. Made it along to Boston for the WIRC a few years ago. I think it is a great bit of kit, definitely get cranky if i am off it for a long period of time

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Where do you row?
a) In the garage, occasionally drag it outside in the summer
b) Charleston, SC
Old Jan 30th 2020, 8:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not involved and it's great....but our curling club is hosting a mixed doubles championship. Almost by chance, group C, only has one team that has not competed in at least US national level...Some of those have competed at the world level. It's going to be a blood bath for that poor team...
Old Jan 30th 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm not involved and it's great....but our curling club is hosting a mixed doubles championship. Almost by chance, group C, only has one team that has not competed in at least US national level...Some of those have competed at the world level. It's going to be a blood bath for that poor team...

I'd never thought of curling as a contact sport. Is there much blood as a rule?
Old Jan 31st 2020, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never thought of curling as a contact sport. Is there much blood as a rule?
It's best avoided...you can't wipe blood up off the ice. A lot of work to scrape it down, then bring the level of ice back up afterwards.

Happens a fair bit when people fall, usually when they're going backwards and clip a stone and go land on their face.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I plan to get some equipment in a basement one day and essentially build our own little gym down there, with squat rack, bench, rowing machine and a bike. That's a good 4-5 years away yet though and will most likely come into effect when we move to a 'family' home and we are starting/just started a family.

I hit my 1,000 mile goal again last year. I've also hit the ground really well this year so far. I racked up 149 miles for January, my highest month total ever so far. I've signed up for a 10k trail race which is a few weeks from now, and also a Half Marathon trail race which is on March 8th. Looking for others to join too, but right now just happy with how I've started the year! My eating habits are my biggest problem, and I struggle to fix that!
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
My wife and I plan to get some equipment in a basement one day and essentially build our own little gym down there, with squat rack, bench, rowing machine and a bike. That's a good 4-5 years away yet though and will most likely come into effect when we move to a 'family' home and we are starting/just started a family.

I hit my 1,000 mile goal again last year. I've also hit the ground really well this year so far. I racked up 149 miles for January, my highest month total ever so far. I've signed up for a 10k trail race which is a few weeks from now, and also a Half Marathon trail race which is on March 8th. Looking for others to join too, but right now just happy with how I've started the year! My eating habits are my biggest problem, and I struggle to fix that!

good job!
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:57 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't know if I'm even arsed doing that to be honest. I have about a million things I'd rather spend that money on if it came to it.

I still haven't talked myself either way yet but I'd probably be better off just sticking with running in the warmer months and I'll always have indoor soccer in winter to keep me going when I can't get outside to run. That seems to make a bit more sense but I don't know.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 4:32 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I've got my first regatta this weekend. In a novice 8 . I'm a novice because I haven't raced before. I'm in bow seat because my bladework is very good, Nancy is in stroke seat and she's great at that. The others - well, c'est le bordel!. So long as we don't capsize and don't come last, I'll be happy.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 4:44 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a gym in the house for over 25 years and there can be no question that if you are serious about exercise then having one is definitely worth it. We have a rowing machine; multi-weight machine stack, some free weights, bike and bits and pieces for push-up etc. All in a fairly small room which can be ventilated. It's great for the days when looking out it's pouring down or too cold. Some people will disparage home gyms but they can't be serious fitness people. I find it a great boon to maintain winter fitness and feel sure you will love one once you have it. Spring is just around the corner, in fact it has 'sprung' already here and I have just inscribed for two triathlons, the gym helped me keep fit during the winter months when I couldn't get out.
Old Mar 7th 2020, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Running going strong this year so far still - currently at 318 miles. Did my first trail race last Saturday (11km, 7 miles) at a local state park with TOUGH, and I mean TOUGH, hills. Had to climb four of them. I finished 16th Overall, 2nd in age group! Finished with an average pace of 7:30/mile, which is good considering the course had a total elevation of 800ft done. Felt horrendous during the run, but finishing I felt accomplished to finish where I did during my first trail race! Tomorrow I have my first half-marathon trail race. It's called 'Quivering Quads' which makes me nervous all on its own!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.