Fitness...do you?

Old Mar 28th 2018, 8:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Maste
If you think an ass kicking will help, sure. I'm in Chicago area this weekend, I'll just pop round
Metaphorical, of course, I'm too out of shape to deal with an actual one

Cheers, some days have been tough. I actually feel better for doing fasted stuff. If you can cope with fasting, it's actually very beneficial to men especially, so look it up on nerd fitness if you want to understand it more It basically forces your body to use up the glucose in the system, then use the fat storages to keep the engine chugging
I've seen a bit of info about IF here and there, but I think for me, with my tendency to fall off the wagon hard where food is concerned, CICO with no restritions on what I can eat is the way to go, as long as I can maintain a 500-1,000 calorie deficit, I should lose weight steadily enough again. I dropped 25lbs doing that before, until I crashed and put it all back on again, with interest.

Don't worry, I'd be ripped too if I didn't keep starting and stopping since around 2015! Hindsight is 20/20, it's what we do now that matters most!
Aye, this is true. I should still hold myself more accountable though, I really have no excuse for not being at my goal weight right now.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Metaphorical, of course, I'm too out of shape to deal with an actual one
Dang it, was looking forward to hoofing an Irish

I've seen a bit of info about IF here and there, but I think for me, with my tendency to fall off the wagon hard where food is concerned, CICO with no restritions on what I can eat is the way to go, as long as I can maintain a 500-1,000 calorie deficit, I should lose weight steadily enough again. I dropped 25lbs doing that before, until I crashed and put it all back on again, with interest.
It's kind of interesting, but your hunger gets more in control, I have less cravings whilst fasting, even during my feasting period, as I'm so focused on getting all my food in that I need, that I'm too full to eat anything else.

Aye, this is true. I should still hold myself more accountable though, I really have no excuse for not being at my goal weight right now.
Well, get to your goal weight by end of this year! Got 9 months to go (sheet, where's the time going already? )
Old Mar 28th 2018, 8:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Dang it, was looking forward to hoofing an Irish
Careful, now.

It's kind of interesting, but your hunger gets more in control, I have less cravings whilst fasting, even during my feasting period, as I'm so focused on getting all my food in that I need, that I'm too full to eat anything else.
If I try to eat an early dinner and avoid snacks in the evening I could probably fudge together some kind of hybrid routine. I throw in low carb here and there to help get rid of water as well, usually works well.

Well, get to your goal weight by end of this year! Got 9 months to go (sheet, where's the time going already? )
Don't know where the time goes, but I'd only have to maintain a rate of 9lbs lost a month to make it (not adjusting for my birthday and Thanksgiving.) Easy to sit here now and say that I can manage it, but we'll see. My long term goal is before I'm 40, so I've got just over a year.

I'd like to be under 200lbs before my next check up in July. That's about 37lbs or so though, so I'll have to grind.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

I did manage to get back to the gym again last night. Only used light weights, worked on form again, and I've started doing the C25K routines on the treadmill to keep me going until I'm ready to go out running properly again. Too heavy and out of shape now, plus I'm fighting a cold so it's not worth trying just yet.

Deloading really helped though. I didn't go all the way back to an empty bar, but I kept it really light (65lb squat, 55lb bench, 75lb row) so that I could get back into it without killing myself. No stiffness in my legs today either, so whatever I did, I did it right, and the app says I should be back up to a 225lb squat in 12 weeks if I stick at it this time.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I did manage to get back to the gym again last night. Only used light weights, worked on form again, and I've started doing the C25K routines on the treadmill to keep me going until I'm ready to go out running properly again. Too heavy and out of shape now, plus I'm fighting a cold so it's not worth trying just yet.

Deloading really helped though. I didn't go all the way back to an empty bar, but I kept it really light (65lb squat, 55lb bench, 75lb row) so that I could get back into it without killing myself. No stiffness in my legs today either, so whatever I did, I did it right, and the app says I should be back up to a 225lb squat in 12 weeks if I stick at it this time.
Kudos on getting to the gym! Glad the deloading worked out for you. Is this the start of you going back to it properly?

I took one day off on Easter sunday this weekend, but that was due to being tired from a 6 mile run followed by a 30 mile bike ride on the Saturday, plus being too full from the Easter grub Sunday!
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Kudos on getting to the gym! Glad the deloading worked out for you. Is this the start of you going back to it properly?
That's the plan, yes. For now, at least this week anyway, I'm just going to focus on lifting with some light treadmill activity. Firstly because of my cold. It's not a bad one or anything but I've a pretty nice hacking cough going on right now and the last thing I want is to get into a coughing fit a mile into a run!

Mostly though, I'm ashamed to admit, it's because I shot up to like 240 in the last few weeks and I'm just too heavy to comfortably run right now, so I'll focus on weights to strengthen my legs and get my endurance up and in a week or so I'll get out and run again. Usually (I say tentatively) after a week or two of lifting, my running gets easier.

I can't just keep stopping and starting again, so I want to at least get a solid 12 weeks in so I can get up to a weight where if I do end up going on holiday or something, the 10% deload when I get back won't set me back too far.

I took one day off on Easter sunday this weekend, but that was due to being tired from a 6 mile run followed by a 30 mile bike ride on the Saturday, plus being too full from the Easter grub Sunday!
I think you earned your day off there.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Weekly 21 mile targets still going well. This is also affording me a day off a week if I want it which is nice, and not putting too much pressure on myself to run. Pup and I broke our 5k and 10k records in 1 run on Monday, which we ran an average of 6:58/mile pace. I am happy with my progress!

Home workouts and bodyweight stuff is going well. I'm trying to convince the wife a gym will be much better for us to join due to being able to do proper squats, presses, and whatnot!
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

100th run of the year done today with the pup! Damn it was cold to run in.

Convinced the wife we should join the gym. We are doing a 7 day free trial at a very local gym (less than 5 minute drive away), and after the wife gets back from her 5 day conference next Wednesday, we are signing up officially. 45 bucks for 2 of us to go, which is cheap. She likes to be frugal so I cut 50 bucks from other monthly outgoings to prove we can afford the gym.

Been doing very light stuff with the wife in the gym working on form etc. Convinced her to do stronglifts with me when we officially sign up, hence why we are doing form work, mostly for her and also for me to get back into it. Thankfully, she knows 'lifting weights' won't make her look manly. She knows it's gonna help her get stronger AND toned/curvy. Hooray!
Old Jun 6th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still keeping up with the 21 mile weekly target! Soccer Sunday now in full swing, even when it's been low 90's to play in (somehow managed to not only survive it, but still dominate the games as I seem to do a lot of, my old CM instincts kick in a lot).

Stronglifts 5x5 is going well too. Currently at Squat - 125lb, Deadlift - 175lb, Bench - 85lb, Row - 65lb, and OHP - 65lb. Not great but making progress. Still got a way to go on bench, row and squat I feel. Deadlifts are starting to feel tough, as are OHP's as always!

Sultan - how's it all going?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:14 pm
I have a comma problem

Still keeping up with the 21 mile weekly target! Soccer Sunday now in full swing, even when it's been low 90's to play in (somehow managed to not only survive it, but still dominate the games as I seem to do a lot of, my old CM instincts kick in a lot).

Stronglifts 5x5 is going well too. Currently at Squat - 125lb, Deadlift - 175lb, Bench - 85lb, Row - 65lb, and OHP - 65lb. Not great but making progress. Still got a way to go on bench, row and squat I feel. Deadlifts are starting to feel tough, as are OHP's as always!

Sultan - how's it all going?
Off and on. Due to go to the gym tonight but I had a weeks-long gout attack a while back that meant I was doing bugger all on the run in to soccer season (of which 90% of games have been rained off ), so I can only manage to run 1.5 miles at the moment and my lifts have been way deloaded, but I'll work back up soon enough.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh, and regarding your OHP (and to a lesser extent BP) - get a set of https://www.amazon.com/Ader-Fitness-Olympic-Fractional-Plates/dp/B008RP3KY8, which will allow you to add 2.5lb each week instead of 5 to the smaller lifts. Adding 5lb to a 135lb squat, for example, is only a 4% increase in weight, but it is an 8% increase on a 65lb OHP and these lifts are harder anyway because you use smaller muscles.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, and regarding your OHP (and to a lesser extent BP) - get a set of fractional plates, which will allow you to add 2.5lb each week instead of 5 to the smaller lifts. Adding 5lb to a 135lb squat, for example, is only a 4% increase in weight, but it is an 8% increase on a 65lb OHP and these lifts are harder anyway because you use smaller muscles.
Cheers. Definitely considering that. Smallest weights my gym has are 2.5lbs, so I'd ideally need 1.25lbs in the near future.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 7:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Cheers. Definitely considering that. Smallest weights my gym has are 2.5lbs, so I'd ideally need 1.25lbs in the near future.
The smallest you'll find at just about any gym are 2.5lbs, so it's worth getting a set of fractional plates, as it will also allow you to microload 1.25, or 0.75lbs a workout as you get closer to your max.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

4.5 weeks since I busted out the hamstring and it finally, almost feels normal again, if I don't twist inside to much or quickly.

I see about having a run around with the Brazilians on the weekend if I get time for some footie. Need a little more fitness for the curling championship end of the month. Quite a lot of games in a fairly short well won't be too fun otherwise. Unless I blag being the team skip and just stand there for most of it
Old Nov 8th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Still keeping up on the running - pup and I are closing in on 1,000 miles for the years. Only around 90 more miles to go as of now! We are running upwards of around 30+ a week. She's now able to run 10-15 miles with me on a Saturday. Which makes my long Saturday runs easier for me with my pup along for the ride. Gym is going okay, not as great as my running though!

SoS are you still in the gym?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.