Fitness...do you?

Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Running is still going well. Still going every day (48 days and counting) and ran my first half marathon distance with a time of 1hr 50mins. Pretty crap I know but hey ho, it's one I've always wanted to get under my belt! Now the OH is trying to get me to sign up to a half marathon race, bugger that.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Running is still going well. Still going every day (48 days and counting) and ran my first half marathon distance with a time of 1hr 50mins. Pretty crap I know but hey ho, it's one I've always wanted to get under my belt! Now the OH is trying to get me to sign up to a half marathon race, bugger that.
I've never run one but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that any sub-2h half marathon time isn't crap at all. That's around an 8:30 pace, or thereabouts, which certainly kicks my arse
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've never run one but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that any sub-2h half marathon time isn't crap at all. That's around an 8:30 pace, or thereabouts, which certainly kicks my arse
It might not be crap - I just always look at the top results in recent 5km/10km/HM races and compare myself to that, so I feel I'm slow or not doing too great, and it just makes me want to get faster!

Although I have to say, the HM was worth it. Went for happy hour for dinner, I ate 6 sliders, 2 portions of fries, cheese curds and 2 pints of beer. All for under 20 bucks too!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It might not be crap - I just always look at the top results in recent 5km/10km/HM races and compare myself to that, so I feel I'm slow or not doing too great, and it just makes me want to get faster!

Although I have to say, the HM was worth it. Went for happy hour for dinner, I ate 6 sliders, 2 portions of fries, cheese curds and 2 pints of beer. All for under 20 bucks too!
That's a decent post-race feed.

I don't even look at other peoples' times though, since most people can run a 10K faster than I run 5
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a decent post-race feed.

I don't even look at other peoples' times though, since most people can run a 10K faster than I run 5
Yeah, the waitresses face when I asked for 'exactly the same as the first time round minus cheese curds, please'. She replied 'Are you sure? Another 3 sliders, fries and beer?' Like come on girl, I know what I'm about

Yeah I'm super competitive so soon as I break my PR, I want to beat it again. Or I'll compare my times to others and be like I want to run faster lol. It's not a great trait!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:48 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah, the waitresses face when I asked for 'exactly the same as the first time round minus cheese curds, please'. She replied 'Are you sure? Another 3 sliders, fries and beer?' Like come on girl, I know what I'm about

Yeah I'm super competitive so soon as I break my PR, I want to beat it again. Or I'll compare my times to others and be like I want to run faster lol. It's not a great trait!
She was just impressed at your dedication to cultivating mass

The good thing about being a relative beginner is you beat your best times reasonably often. Haven't been out in a while though, so my times will suck balls for about 2-3 weeks once I start again.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

She was just impressed at your dedication to cultivating mass

The good thing about being a relative beginner is you beat your best times reasonably often. Haven't been out in a while though, so my times will suck balls for about 2-3 weeks once I start again.
Love an it's always sunny reference I think she may have been surprised that 150lb guy can eat so much

Oh yeah, I haven't beaten some times for a while now I'm out the super beginner phase. Still a beginner, mind.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Love an it's always sunny reference I think she may have been surprised that 150lb guy can eat so much

Oh yeah, I haven't beaten some times for a while now I'm out the super beginner phase. Still a beginner, mind.
I have seen enough small and thin people pack away amounts of food that even I would have trouble with. They must have incredibly fast metabolisms but they can stuff it in at an impressive rate and stay thin. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least

I don't know if I will start road running this week or not, but I'm going back to the gym tonight for the first time since last year, so it'll be a quick deload to 95lbs for the squat and we'll see how we go. If my legs are still flexible enough afterwards, I'll do a mile on the treadmill as usual and see how I feel in the morning.

My legs 'feel' reasonably strong still though, even though it's been about 8 weeks. Have to get back in shape for soccer though - just about 6/7 weeks to go
Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just helped out a neighbouring curling club with their Olympic open house and it had over 100 people come in and give it a go. Fun seeing how another, small club does things, especially as our club is doing it this weekend.

A dedicated club nearby has 1200 people signed up to give it a go as well, in a few weeks. They had something like double that at the last Olympics. That should be interesting.

Winter Olympic games in western MA, and the missus will have a wheelchair curler as their lead. It's really neat to see how they curl, depending on their chair and the Olympic para curlers that I've seen last summer were awesome. Also fun seeing stick curlers.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Good price for all that food! But I have to inject a word of warning here. Be careful that you don't get too accustomed to the eating of masses of less-than-healthy meals....

My husband used to eat like you. When I met him decades ago, he was a skinny guy who ran miles a couple of times a week. He could--& did-- eat anything he wanted, fast food, sweets, you name it. (Very annoying to watch, that was!) Nowadays his joints can't take the longer runs any more, so he's had to cut way back on the running, yet his appetite is still completely "undisciplined". Consequently, for the first time in his life he's struggling with his weight. Just be aware that your metabolism will inevitably slow with age....
Old Feb 20th 2018, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Good price for all that food! But I have to inject a word of warning here. Be careful that you don't get too accustomed to the eating of masses of less-than-healthy meals....

My husband used to eat like you. When I met him decades ago, he was a skinny guy who ran miles a couple of times a week. He could--& did-- eat anything he wanted, fast food, sweets, you name it. (Very annoying to watch, that was!) Nowadays his joints can't take the longer runs any more, so he's had to cut way back on the running, yet his appetite is still completely "undisciplined". Consequently, for the first time in his life he's struggling with his weight. Just be aware that your metabolism will inevitably slow with age....
Thankfully, I am in complete control of my diet, per se! I eat paleo (Meat and veggies all week only), and have a refeed day on Saturdays, to jump start my leptin levels again for the next week!
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:37 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully, I am in complete control of my diet, per se! I eat paleo (Meat and veggies all week only), and have a refeed day on Saturdays, to jump start my leptin levels again for the next week!
Aha my mistake. You discarded the 6 slider buns, obviously, and gave the 2 orders of fries to someone else...

All joking aside, I wish my hubby would eat Paleo, but he's addicted to carbs. All I can do is make sure we have genuine (!) whole-grain stuff in the cupboards, brown rice, brown bread, whole oats, etc.

But unfortunately there's no way I can make his fast food choices "healthy". He'll go for the doughnut and the fries every single time, then complain to me that he's putting on weight due to "my" cooking....
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Aha my mistake. You discarded the 6 slider buns, obviously, and gave the 2 orders of fries to someone else...
It really wouldn't matter in this case though, since an active male around his weight (150 lbs as mentioned) will have a TDEE of nearly 3,000 calories. To put on a pound of fat you have to eat a surplus of 3,500

CICO mah'****ers. It works and as long as you hit your numbers you can eat pretty much whatever you want. Exercising helps you burn more calories and will make you fit, but weight is lost in the kitchen, yo. I much prefer CICO because I don't have to worry about whether I'm 'allowed' to eat something, and restrictive (and often fad) diets just mean I'll inevitably fall off the wagon hard and eat an entire family bag of Doritos or something. If I'm retaining a lot of water I'll have a week of low-carb (25-50g a day) but other than that, my most productive period of weight loss was when I just watched my calories and exercised regularly. Dropped almost 25lbs that way until I got sick and lazy
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

All joking aside, I wish my hubby would eat Paleo, but he's addicted to carbs. All I can do is make sure we have genuine (!) whole-grain stuff in the cupboards, brown rice, brown bread, whole oats, etc.

But unfortunately there's no way I can make his fast food choices "healthy". He'll go for the doughnut and the fries every single time, then complain to me that he's putting on weight due to "my" cooking....
I cannot believe you'd suggest I'd give away burgers!!!! You'd have to prise my burger from my cold, dead hands I'm afraid Paleo is so good, because I'm always full due to the high fat and protein intake, and never craving anything due to lower carbs (only carb source is veggies which is half of my foods everyday!) Paleo also makes it hard to overeat due to constantly being full!

It really wouldn't matter in this case though, since an active male around his weight (150 lbs as mentioned) will have a TDEE of nearly 3,000 calories. To put on a pound of fat you have to eat a surplus of 3,500

CICO mah'****ers. It works and as long as you hit your numbers you can eat pretty much whatever you want. Exercising helps you burn more calories and will make you fit, but weight is lost in the kitchen, yo. I much prefer CICO because I don't have to worry about whether I'm 'allowed' to eat something, and restrictive (and often fad) diets just mean I'll inevitably fall off the wagon hard and eat an entire family bag of Doritos or something. If I'm retaining a lot of water I'll have a week of low-carb (25-50g a day) but other than that, my most productive period of weight loss was when I just watched my calories and exercised regularly. Dropped almost 25lbs that way until I got sick and lazy
Yeah, I need around 3,000 per day, and according to scientific backed research, to increase my leptin levels I need to eat a 50% surplus of my usual TDEE, so my refeed days I need around 4,500 calories IF i do a normal run. If I do a 10+ mile run, my refeed day calorie needs surge to 6,000... Which is impossible to hit but it affords me a true day of not worrying about what I eat!
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah, I need around 3,000 per day, and according to scientific backed research, to increase my leptin levels I need to eat a 50% surplus of my usual TDEE, so my refeed days I need around 4,500 calories IF i do a normal run. If I do a 10+ mile run, my refeed day calorie needs surge to 6,000... Which is impossible to hit but it affords me a true day of not worrying about what I eat!
And even that is nothing compared to what bodybuilders have to eat in order to pack on muscle for competitions. Not uncommon to have requirements of 10,000 or more per day!

Because I'm such a fat-arse, my TDEE is actually about 3,200 calories if I work out 5-6 days a week. Obviously that goes down as my weight does, but it makes it really easy to maintain a 1,000 calorie deficit because if I'm smart with my meals, once I get close to 2,000 calories I can't really eat more anyway BUT, it also allows me the occasional donut or bag of crisps as well if I get a craving.

Anyway, I did make it to the gym yesterday as planned, straight from work so I wasn't able to get comfortable at home and use that as an excuse not to go (though it's more crowded at 5, which is why I prefer working out at 10pm but that's neither here nor there). Lifting was as easy as I expected because I deloaded to a reasonable weight to restart from. I was more surprised that I actually managed a mile on the treadmill afterwards. Only a slight twinge of DOMS today as well, so I may go out for a run after work. It's certainly nice and mild today, even if it is wet, but I don't mind running in the rain anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.