Fitness...do you?

Old Aug 30th 2016, 8:38 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
did about 3 hours of total walking Saturday between 2 different mostly level hiking areas nearby, my legs still hurt from it, even wore the dog out, but her legs are short, so no surprise, she refused to walk the last 1/2 hour on the last trail, laid down and refused,so had to carry her, but probably a bit much for a small dog.
Don't give up, the first few times pushing yourself is the hardest, then you realize your limits are greater than you thought. Your dog? sounds like perhaps tossing the ball around for a week or so may be in order?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We spend a lot of time playing fetch. And this was the longest we have ever taken her, most walks are 30 to 40 mins for her so can't blame her for being tired. Little dog with little short legs.

We will try a few more hikes hopefully before the weather turns south for the winter.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Don't give up, the first few times pushing yourself is the hardest, then you realize your limits are greater than you thought. Your dog? sounds like perhaps tossing the ball around for a week or so may be in order?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 30th 2016 at 9:08 am.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
did about 3 hours of total walking Saturday between 2 different mostly level hiking areas nearby, my legs still hurt from it, even wore the dog out, but her legs are short, so no surprise, she refused to walk the last 1/2 hour on the last trail, laid down and refused,so had to carry her, but probably a bit much for a small dog.
That's about as long as I end up walking when I go for my longer walks. My legs will hurt for a while afterwards, too, but after a few times it's not the kind of pain that can't be worked through. Normally I'm back in the gym on Mondays and I can get through heavy squats just fine. Then those, in turn help strengthen my legs for more running and walking and the cycle repeats.

Long walks are nice though. Getting a couple of hours just to wander around with only yourself for company is always welcome.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 8:09 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I only post again to help keep myself motivated.
Continuing the 3 mile 9 minutes per every other day and now icing the bottom of my right foot after the run. So far so good! Hoping to get to the 5 miles I did 20 years ago.
Wonderful how after a run you feel 20 years younger, well at least I do.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 5:11 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I only post again to help keep myself motivated.
Continuing the 3 mile 9 minutes per every other day and now icing the bottom of my right foot after the run. So far so good! Hoping to get to the 5 miles I did 20 years ago.
Wonderful how after a run you feel 20 years younger, well at least I do.
9 minutes per mile is bloody good as far as I'm concerned. I hit a 9:30 at my absolute best back when I was running regularly. I still can't run my 5K as well as I used to but I'm back in the swing of it at the weights so I should have strengthened my legs enough to have a decent crack at a sub 40m run tomorrow.

I don't feel 20 years younger after my runs yet, I just wish I was
Old Sep 6th 2016, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Good going guys!

My pace for my runs is around 7 minutes per mile, but I have to advantage of younger legs Also playing a lot of football (soccer) lately, been about 5/6 years since I last played, but I've still got it!! We won 6-2 Sunday and I got to play the whole game.

Does anyone know if the USA offers something similar to Sunday League football?
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by jambey2510
Good going guys!

My pace for my runs is around 7 minutes per mile, but I have to advantage of younger legs Also playing a lot of football (soccer) lately, been about 5/6 years since I last played, but I've still got it!! We won 6-2 Sunday and I got to play the whole game.
7 minutes would be nice one day. I've only been at it for a year though and just before I took the two month break for an injury, I was just about holding a 10:15 average, which I am happy with given I could barely run a quarter of a mile in January when I started.

I play a fair bit of soccer too, just a rec league, 8 a side stuff April-September every year, but we play pretty hard just the same. Distance running has definitely helped my endurance; I can play a full game if we're short on subs without wanting to die now. My pace is still a little lacking though. Still, I scored four goals this year, which were my first since the one I scored in my first season 4 years ago. Three of them were a hat trick which surprised me more than anyone else, I think

Does anyone know if the USA offers something similar to Sunday League football?
Probably depends on your region, but around here it does. Our league is recreational, as I said, but there are fully competitive leagues that operate in our area as well. If you do a bit of digging you might find a few leagues round your way, too.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
7 minutes would be nice one day. I've only been at it for a year though and just before I took the two month break for an injury, I was just about holding a 10:15 average, which I am happy with given I could barely run a quarter of a mile in January when I started.

I play a fair bit of soccer too, just a rec league, 8 a side stuff April-September every year, but we play pretty hard just the same. Distance running has definitely helped my endurance; I can play a full game if we're short on subs without wanting to die now. My pace is still a little lacking though. Still, I scored four goals this year, which were my first since the one I scored in my first season 4 years ago. Three of them were a hat trick which surprised me more than anyone else, I think

Probably depends on your region, but around here it does. Our league is recreational, as I said, but there are fully competitive leagues that operate in our area as well. If you do a bit of digging you might find a few leagues round your way, too.
I think I could hit 6 minutes but the distance I run means I need to keep my pace off a little bit (I run between 10-15km).

haha, good going! I score goals for fun from LB, and once won a top goalscorer award from LB! I wasn't, and have never been, your traditional LB. I'm very quick so I venture forward to the opponents box and I'm quick and fit enough to get back every time!

I'll do some digging - I'm sure St Louis has something of the sort around!
Old Sep 6th 2016, 5:41 pm
I have a comma problem

I think I could hit 6 minutes but the distance I run means I need to keep my pace off a little bit (I run between 10-15km).

haha, good going! I score goals for fun from LB, and once won a top goalscorer award from LB! I wasn't, and have never been, your traditional LB. I'm very quick so I venture forward to the opponents box and I'm quick and fit enough to get back every time!

I'll do some digging - I'm sure St Louis has something of the sort around!
Given we're a league made up of a variety of ages and skill levels, goals aren't always hard to come by (though keepers are usually half decent). We all end up all over the place as far as positions go, but I usually gravitate towards the left wing as the game opens up.

I usually don't score though because I'm better from farther out than close in - but we play on the U12 pitches so the goals are smaller, which means most of the time I'm going to put it over. Only one of my goals was scored from inside the box.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:53 pm
I have a comma problem

Yesterday's run was quite a bit off my best. 3.4 miles in 42'11", which is a pace of 12'13". I've done it in 34 minutes before. I'm never going to increase my distance to 10K at this rate . One thing's for sure, injury or not, I can't take a 6 week break again.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:12 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yesterday's run was quite a bit off my best. 3.4 miles in 42'11", which is a pace of 12'13". I've done it in 34 minutes before. I'm never going to increase my distance to 10K at this rate . One thing's for sure, injury or not, I can't take a 6 week break again.
IMO, the trick with running is to ramp up mileage very, very slowly. If you ramp up too quickly, you're just going to get injured. Also, like you said stopping completely due to injury is a bit of as double whammy: you're injury is healing while you're losing strength due to inactivity. Personally, I can't even take a short break from running. I feel soreness if I take just a week off of running.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:22 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Well fast forward 7 years and start again slow and easy...loving it.
That's awesome!

Until I get a new job here, my exercise is running around with my puppies! Back in the UK, I used to be very active for work, but was also with Virgin Active where I'd go through batches of going 3 days a week until I got hooked with something on Netflix and I'd be on the couch with pizza and wine.

My preferred workout is swimming! lots of swimming or hiking. I've never been a runner (I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong as it gives me lower back pain), so I only do it if I'm super late for a train.etc
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:34 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hiro11
IMO, the trick with running is to ramp up mileage very, very slowly. If you ramp up too quickly, you're just going to get injured. Also, like you said stopping completely due to injury is a bit of as double whammy: you're injury is healing while you're losing strength due to inactivity. Personally, I can't even take a short break from running. I feel soreness if I take just a week off of running.
Ramping up slowly is what I did to get to 5K - using the couch to 5K program I was able to run 3 miles non-stop in 9 weeks, starting from being barely able to run for a quarter mile. 10K is a far off goal, I might work on the treadmill over the winter to slowly increase my distance to 4 miles, then 5, then 6. Though even then, I find it harder to run on the treadmill now because I can't vary my speed as I do running on the paths. I should get back up to my former level in a few weeks, each run is getting easier since I started back. Last night felt reasonably good, if a little slow and the village is running a 5K on Saturday that I might try for a bit of a change.

My injury wasn't even a leg injury either, it was a shoulder. I could (should) have run through it but I used it as an excuse, then when I went back to the gym I tried to squat more than I should have and gave myself really bad DOMS. All self inflicted, so it's a mistake I won't make again. I am very careful not to overdo it when I run. I feel like it's taking 100% right now but when I was running regularly I tried to make it feel like I was using about 80% of my energy (maybe not the right word) to complete my distance. The lifting is a linear progression so if I fail reps, I deload, rather than try to push through at a weight I am not ready for.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

I bike most days, mostly around town, but I do try to get in at least 2 long rides a week. I did the couch to 5k program a few years ago. I'd love to run more, I'm just rubbish at it! I can run 5k in about 30 mins and am training for a 10k at the end of Oct. I still question why I can bike for 50+ miles without really breaking a sweat, but need an oxygen tent after a 5k run
Old Sep 8th 2016, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Using treadmill at steep incline a couple of times a day for cardio. Press ups and some weights as well.
Waiting until temps come down far enough that I can go outside and hike. Too hot and sunny still.

(I dearly miss cold windy rainy days. A distant memory.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.