Fitness...do you?

Old Nov 25th 2020, 4:13 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Maste
I hit my 2,000 mile running goal over the weekend just gone! I have a trail marathon on Dec 5th, and a couple of ultras in 2021. Looking forward to putting all my training and running into action finally.
Great stuff, well done. Trail running (we call it cross country!) is a great way of exercising.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would sooner enter one of the torture chambers of The Spanish Inquisition than enter a gym and indulge in this fitness mania. Lots of ways to keep fit without using one of those places !
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
Great stuff, well done. Trail running (we call it cross country!) is a great way of exercising.

Haha, I'd agree, except I don't know many cross country runners who are constantly running 15+ miles while climbing a total of 2,000ft minimum on rocks and stuff!
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:32 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Haha, I'd agree, except I don't know many cross country runners who are constantly running 15+ miles while climbing a total of 2,000ft minimum on rocks and stuff!
I suppose where you live might dictate how many you know. Here in the Pyrenees it is quite common.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Ok, time to finally get my arse in gear. I’ve had fads, rowing machines and treadmills, but the useage never lasts. I’m fed up of panting every time I climb the stairs at work, and thanks to a friends Facebook post, I hope I’ve found the answer. I was obviously aware of peloton, but didn’t know they had an app. $13 a month seems reasonable to see if I can keep this up, so excercise bike, cadence sensor, heart rate monitor incoming and an old tv and I’ve got peloton lite! Really excited about this, and the classes look like they will keep me motivated. If I find myself using this enough, I’ll probably fork out for the bike and the full membership next year.

I've got a similar setup using zwift, sits next to my erg.

I'm 3 weeks into a million meter rowing challenge. Managing to most of it on the water in a single or 2x but erg is handy to top up the odd 5-10k meters a day. Bike is for a change...

Old Nov 26th 2020, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I would sooner enter one of the torture chambers of The Spanish Inquisition than enter a gym and indulge in this fitness mania. Lots of ways to keep fit without using one of those places !
I hate the gym too, but it's only $9 a month at my local one. I've tried running on the walking trails and it knackers my knees, which a treadmill doesn't and the trails out here aren't really great for running with the mud/ice/snow till later in the spring. Definitely lesser of the evils, plus don't have room to have decent gear at home.
I'd not really bother if we were curling, but I really don't see that happening this season.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 11:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing a load of zone 2 training right now. Boring,boring, boring. I end up working too hard on the erg, so I'm on the stationary bike. Phone showing HR/Cadence/Speed/Distance. Laptop showing netflix. 1.5 hours a time at 120bpm. We are preparing for regattas/races in the late spring. Who knows if they will actually happen. On the water training has been livened up by the presence of the US olympic rowing team training from our club. I get to see and talk to my rowing heroine (Gevvie Stone), the fastest female sculler in the USA. Big fan girl moment for me . And watching the twentysomething guys walking around is rather pleasant! The staff are calling me Mrs Robinson. Hopefully the boys are too young to get that one...

Old Jan 22nd 2021, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not much happening since the gyms and other places have had to reduce capacity and it's been a bit grim out.

Curling is going to be interesting, with the state travel restrictions here, there's a number of club curlers who were making a run for US nationals, but with our club closed and not being able to travel into NH and back, to the club that's open over there has been a downer for them. One exciting thing though, a club nearby is going to be hosting the US curling open next year, so if arena nationals is cancelled in March, will get an extension to be able to get my timings and on ice numbers in to get certified as a US official.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Started climbing again, after a gap of around six years. A new climbing gym opened just before Christmas, then was forced to shut for three weeks, and reopened at the beginnig of Jan.
Lizzy bought me new climbing shoes for a present, so I'm kind of committed....
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Still pounding the peloton. Bought some dumbbells and am now doing strength training alongside the spinning. Not sure I feel any better really though LOL.

Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Still running here, as usual.

Completed my first ultramarathon this weekend. A 50k with 5,000ft of elevation. I have an IT band injury which I ran the race with, so pretty happy with finishing while injured.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Originally Posted by Bob
I hate the gym too, but it's only $9 a month at my local one. I've tried running on the walking trails and it knackers my knees, which a treadmill doesn't and the trails out here aren't really great for running with the mud/ice/snow till later in the spring. Definitely lesser of the evils, plus don't have room to have decent gear at home....
Talk about doing things you never expected to ...

Like scot47, I vowed never to enter a gym. I have been hiking every day for the past 10 years (minimum 90 mins), and have managed to do things like Half Dome and the Grand Canyon. Then last month, my g/f had eye surgery, and couldn't drive, but wanted to stay a bit active (vision issues made 'street walking' too risky) so .... I drove her to the gym. She twisted my arm and got me to sign up.

Fast forward 6 weeks, I've been every day for 90 minutes a day and I absolutely love it! I still do my hiking every day also, so I'm basically just doubling my 'exercise time' (I'm retired). Our gym offers 2 free hours of a personal trainer, so I signed up for that too. He was absolutely fantastic! Despite all my hiking, I have back issues; I described them to him. He theorized my 'glutes' were not 'participating' enough and he had me use very specific machines to work on my glutes. It's making a LOT of difference! And to give just a simple illustration of his value, I was doing one exercise where my knee hurt. He watched, and said ... 'rotate your foot about 5 degrees while pushing' ... and the pain went away!

This gym has at least 30 different machines, and every machine has multiple settings (weight/resistance, seat height, arm height, etc etc). Knowing how to adjust these machines for optimal benefit is not obvious. And which machines should you focus on? And then - how many iterations, how often? He told me to only do certain things every other day, to allow the muscle to develop/recover. And then he told me when to start advancing - when to do more - and what is 'more' - more iterations, or same iterations but more weight/resistance? These guys really know what they are talking about.

So ... I'm going to keep this up indefinitely! (I'm 60+ so need to start really taking care of my body!).

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 3rd 2021 at 3:27 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Good going!

I finally managed to get a sub 29min 5k the other day and endurance has improved a lot. Curling season is going to start soon, well another month or so before the ice starts to get put in. That's going to be brutal...not done a slide in forever.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Rowing. Still rowing. Only on an ergo, but it's a pretty good workout for most of the body and low/no impact. I go for 35-40 minutes, steady pace for the first half then the so called "high intensity intervals" for the second half (two minutes as hard as I can go, one minute to recover, repeat until fall off the machine). I use music to keep me going and to improve my largely non-existent coordination. Must have done the Amazon/Nile/Mississippi by now.