Fitness...do you?

Old Dec 14th 2019, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Any options for you where you can work exercise into your daily routine? I find I fail if I try to specifically exercise as I hate it so much, don't know how people enjoy it, but I have found success working some activity into my daily routine, using the stairs instead of the elevator, taking transit instead of driving, walking more places if its a 20 minute walk or less, things of that nature, but of course its not always possible, but just a thought.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Right, I need you mofos to give me a kick up the arse. Other than football once a week (and not every week so it isn't even a great excuse), I haven't done any proper exercise since I think February, I've put everything I lost over the last 2.5 years back on again with change and Christmas beckons with its lovely, lovely food and I will be treating the 24th and 25th as cheat days. But I need to do something before I end up having a bloody heart attack or something.

So please feel free to verbally abuse me at every opportunity when I don't keep my calories down or do some kind of exercise. Starting Sunday at least, I mean be reasonable ...
Old Dec 14th 2019, 12:16 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Right, I need you mofos to give me a kick up the arse. Other than football once a week (and not every week so it isn't even a great excuse), I haven't done any proper exercise since I think February, I've put everything I lost over the last 2.5 years back on again with change and Christmas beckons with its lovely, lovely food and I will be treating the 24th and 25th as cheat days. But I need to do something before I end up having a bloody heart attack or something.

So please feel free to verbally abuse me at every opportunity when I don't keep my calories down or do some kind of exercise. Starting Sunday at least, I mean be reasonable ...
At the risk of being insulted again I will offer what I know to be the best course of action. There is no doubt whatsoever that exercise is extremely valuable regarding your overall health and well being. And the best advice to avoid a heart attack is to stay sitting in an armchair!!! Unfortunately as a weight loss method exercise is bloody useless! You need to run 30 miles to lose a pound of fat (3500 calories in a lb of fat, 90-100 calories a mile) As the body doesn't use only fat when you exercise that really means you would have to run approximately 50 miles or more, eating nothing!!

The only real answer is to eat less. Dieting is also useless; dieting makes you fat, it has been well established. The answer is to simply reduce very slowly what you shove down your throat! If you are in the habit of a few biscuits with a cuppa then reduce them to one or two. No snacking at all. Cut out the puddings with a meal. If you find you need the pudding then have a few more potatoes instead.; but cut out the pudding, less jam on your bread; that sort of thing. Alcohol contains huge quantities of calories. I don't know your habits but reducing alcohol consumption only slightly is a huge help. The trick is to simply reduce the number of calories you consume in a day. Objective is to lose between one and Two kilos only per week, absolutely no more. If you find you are then eat a little more; now there's a surprise!!! If you lose the weight very slowly you will hardly notice that you are hungry. Eventually you will obtain whatever weight you are seeking.

I taught P.E. for many years and know the value of exercise, it is essential but you won't exercise enough to get, and stay slim. Athletes look the way they do because they exercise hard and watch very carefully what they eat. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you have put back on the weight you lost. You almost certainly lost it too quickly to start with. I could give you lots of technical information regarding exercise and weight loss and am quite willing to continue this conversation should you wish. Over the years I taught, and since, people still argue the merits of exercise regarding weight loss. Quite frankly I give up with these people; Out comes all the claptrap about increased metabolism etc and totally ignoring the example I gave you about running to lose weight.

As regards Christmas, I suggest you enjoy it as a convict on death row may enjoy his final meal. After Christmas resolve to do what I suggest and if you do I guarantee you will lose weight slowly, it won't be too hard, and it will become so habitual it will be your lifestyle. As regards exercise, yes do it of course. Like your eating habits it should also become habitual, not fanatical but regular. If you want more I can go on about both subjects all day!!!
Good luck.

Old Dec 14th 2019, 1:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sultan,
First make sure that your body is functioning ok - get your TSH and HbA1c checked at the docs. Either one of those being too high will make it almost impossible to lose weight.
remember when you were younger and you could eat what you liked and not gain a lb? Why has that changed? Metabolism.......that's why getting the above figures checked is a good start. TSH = thyroid and if that figure is above 6, then maybe look into getting some meds. HbA1c = blood sugar, if that's high then your body is storing the glucose as fat. Look at your diet.... keep a diary for 3 days by photographing everything you are about to put into your mouth. Then review and look at what and when you ate. You're a clever chap - adjust as necessary. Probably reduce carbs and don't eat late. If you drink any soda or fruit juice, just stop it. Drink lemon/lime fizzy water if you need to wean yourself off.
Get your vitamin D levels checked. I would take vitamin d anyway until the doc tells you not to - most people's levels are too low, unless you live in the South, like me. With rowing most days, (even just in the first hour of daylight), my Vit D levels went right up and for the first time ever, I stopped taking a supplement.
How is your sleep? Poor quality sleep leads to higher glucose levels and more fat storage. Improve your sleep, Matthew Walker has a brilliant book about Sleep. Amazing, even just listening to a few of the podcasts he's done will convince you to get enough sleep
look into Intermittent fasting, that has worked for me and for many others. Not eating all the time keeps insulin production low and allows your body to not store fat. I haven't done longer fasts but about 1x per month will eat Friday night and then fast until Monday am after row practice. Jason Fung is a great resource for this.
exercise in the morning before eating if you can - doesn't really matter what you do so long as your heart rate is up, interval training is better.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Hi Sultan,
First make sure that your body is functioning ok - get your TSH and HbA1c checked at the docs. Either one of those being too high will make it almost impossible to lose weight.
remember when you were younger and you could eat what you liked and not gain a lb? Why has that changed? Metabolism.......that's why getting the above figures checked is a good start. TSH = thyroid and if that figure is above 6, then maybe look into getting some meds. HbA1c = blood sugar, if that's high then your body is storing the glucose as fat. Look at your diet.... keep a diary for 3 days by photographing everything you are about to put into your mouth. Then review and look at what and when you ate. You're a clever chap - adjust as necessary. Probably reduce carbs and don't eat late. If you drink any soda or fruit juice, just stop it. Drink lemon/lime fizzy water if you need to wean yourself off.
Get your vitamin D levels checked. I would take vitamin d anyway until the doc tells you not to - most people's levels are too low, unless you live in the South, like me. With rowing most days, (even just in the first hour of daylight), my Vit D levels went right up and for the first time ever, I stopped taking a supplement.
How is your sleep? Poor quality sleep leads to higher glucose levels and more fat storage. Improve your sleep, Matthew Walker has a brilliant book about Sleep. Amazing, even just listening to a few of the podcasts he's done will convince you to get enough sleep
look into Intermittent fasting, that has worked for me and for many others. Not eating all the time keeps insulin production low and allows your body to not store fat. I haven't done longer fasts but about 1x per month will eat Friday night and then fast until Monday am after row practice. Jason Fung is a great resource for this.
exercise in the morning before eating if you can - doesn't really matter what you do so long as your heart rate is up, interval training is better.
You don’t eat anything from Friday night through to sometime Monday? Bloody hell. I would have eaten my arm sometime Saturday night.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me not including the the quotes, it's only to save space but thanks both for the replies.

KJMW - I am exercising for fitness, not to lose weight, I know they are two separate things. I just didn't word my post properly, but yeah basically CICO is the only thing that really works for me as far as what I eat, because if I try to cut certain things out I only end up overdoing it on them when I fall off the wagon. So CICO with a cheat day every once in a while is about the only reliable way to lose weight, though I might combine it with 16:8 intermittent fasting because I've experimented with that before and it seems to help, at least during the week anyway since I tend to eat less on weekends on average strangely enough. The exercise itself is primarily so I can play soccer a bit more effectively and also because I do genuinely feel better when I'm exercising. I can lose all the weight I want but for me personally, that's kind of worthless if I'm still going to be unfit at the end of it. This isn't something I haven't done already before, I've just never managed to lose more than about 15-20 lbs because I go back to eating more.

Petitefrancaise - I get a blood draw a couple of times a year, mainly for cholesterol, but I think that same one does look at blood sugar so as far as I know that's fine, but I'll ask my doctor about that and the thyroid next time I see him next. I don't really drink milk so my vitamin D probably sucks arse, cheese and eggs is about it for that I suppose. Never really thought of that. I did try intermittent fasting before, and will probably do that again but I usually end up doing close to a 16:8 automatically anyway since I don't usually eat breakfast and usually have dinner around 6 or 7pm, which is a nice bonus. Water isn't a problem, I drink at least a gallon of water a day. Fruit juice is a rare treat and I have a couple of diet sodas a week which I am not giving up for anyone, sorry. Sleep is what it is, I get some, sometimes 8 hrs, sometimes 4 but going to bed early just isn't going to happen. If my brain decides it's time to go to sleep earlier, then I can't stop it but I'm not going to spend more time at work than awake at home doing stuff I like. My mental health is more important than anything else, after all.

But yeah, thanks to both for the advice, luckily for the most part it has been things I have tried before with success, and it is really just my own consistency with them going forward.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

2019 was a great year of running for myself and the pup! Overall, we ran over 1,000 miles for the year for the 2nd year running. We also ran our fastest mile, 5km, 10km, and 10 mile races, hitting PRs in all of those (some more than once)! We ran 4 sub 20 minute 5km races (winning 3, 2nd in the other!), we ran a 5:35 mile during a 5k race (aim is to get a sub 5 minute mile with her), and ran 10km in 41:37 and a 10 mile in 1:08:03. All of these PRs would not have been possible without such a high energy, fast German Shorthaired Pointer! She's been a great source of motivation and inspiration. 2020 is a goal year of hopefully breaking the mile and 5km PRs, and also introducing the pup to more trail runs and to start adding in some trail races!

Foodwise - I need to do better. I know I don't eat as well as I should to fuel my runs, but hey ho my running has been going well anyway! I fast 20 hours a day and eat for 4 hours (20:4 IF protocol). I do it because it works for me and my runs, even my longer runs, have been much better fasted than before I was fasting! I also need to be more intentional about our running training if I'm to hit more PRs in 2020, as at the moment all we do is just go out and run and I feed off of how the pup feels!

Soccer is something I'm still playing, and want to play some more of before I start declining in my fitness and ability!
Old Dec 29th 2019, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A 4hr window to eat per day seems extreme to me but hey ho if it works for you.

Congratulations...1K miles is a great achievement.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A 4hr window to eat per day seems extreme to me but hey ho if it works for you.

Congratulations...1K miles is a great achievement.
That is everyones reaction! But, I'm not a breakfast person and work is always busy so it actually helps not having to worry about lunch. It also fits my personality with eating - I'm an eat everything and anything kind of guy, so a big buffet style eating spree for 4 hours works for me! lol
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:45 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

rowing!
I have my first regatta at the end of February ....
after being on the erg ( rowing machine) for most of the winter, my fitness and strength have increased ++ . I really noticed it last weekend when I went for a fairly strenuous hike, with some big boulders/scrambling involved.
tonight I have a 5k erg test. - How quickly can I row 5k meters.....Stroke rate limit for the whole club is 24 strokes per minute ( so you can't just row fast to get a better speed) and we'll be ranked accordingly. This will test our endurance and ability to pace ourselves. I am aiming to keep to 2.30 split rate and possibly work harder for the last section if I've got anything left in the tank.....
Old Jan 29th 2020, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
rowing!
I am aiming to keep to 2.30 split rate and possibly work harder for the last section if I've got anything left in the tank.....
Sounds like a plan - how did it go? I am getting back on the erg after a few months cycling instead to protect a sore elbow (tennis elbow). It still hurts, but i can't stay off the erg any longer. Daughter has been rowing for a couple of years at the local club and now my son has started. Fighting over the erg - who would have thought?
Old Jan 29th 2020, 10:08 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by newadventure
Sounds like a plan - how did it go? I am getting back on the erg after a few months cycling instead to protect a sore elbow (tennis elbow). It still hurts, but i can't stay off the erg any longer. Daughter has been rowing for a couple of years at the local club and now my son has started. Fighting over the erg - who would have thought?
It went well.... I managed a split of 2.29. Our coach gave us very specific instructions - stroke rate of 24, maintain split rate throughout. ie don't go mad at first and then paddle to the end.
I messed up the start - started the timer inadvertently and only realised that it would completely mess up my times when I'd done almost 1k meters. So I started again. I was absolutely cream crackered at the end. Coach reckons I would get it down to 2.25 if I did it again since I had actually rowed almost 6k.
Doesn't matter - I'm in the 8 for the regatta!! In a novice women's 8 and mixed open 8 I think.
I started rowing because my son was rowing and I was having to get him there, wait around and get home. I love it. I like being in a single for sculling. Otherwise very happy to sweep. Even the thought of a pair terrifies me! Might try a 4 this weekend. We'll see.
My son is now away at university in NL and we have such a great relationship and have loads of chats about rowing. Just for that, it's been worth it.

Where do you row?

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jan 29th 2020 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There's an exercise thread? Why was I not informed?

I'm a reformed runner, and used to do races just for the hell of it from 10k to marathon (slowly), but the midwestern weather isn't kind to long distance runners and once I had a child I no longer had time to run 50 miles a week. When I was doing that, I couldn't keep weight on me despite eating all day, every day, except for about three hours before a run. You name it, I ate it, both healthy and unhealthy.

Now it's a bit of a struggle to get to the weight I want - age/office job/less exercise, etc. At the beginning of last year I took up rowing on a Concept II. I have it at home so it's easy to do after work - 30-40 minutes, usually five times a week, covering about 5,600-6,100 meters a go, or so the machine claims. No idea how accurate that is. Goals, such as they are, are both fitness (because I like being fit) and weight loss (because there's more to go). I stopped eating lunch, for the most part, have to have something for breakfast, and then a reasonable dinner after rowing. On this regimen I slowly but steadily dropped a good 20 lbs last year. Need to repeat this year. I only have a short half-mile to my train station for my commute, and not even a 1/4 mile from the station to my office, so little opportunity to build in more activity. Wish I could build in some weightlifting, but don't really know when I would do it. There are a few machines in my office building's "fitness center" but that involves showering during the work day, etc., often difficult to carve out the time. Some years ago my workout regimen was 20 minutes of jumping rope followed by a strenuous weightlifting session, which also worked in terms of weight control but I preferred being outside. The rowing is good though - an all-over exercise and great cardio too.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 30th 2020 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
There's an exercise thread? Why was I not informed?

I'm a reformed runner, and used to do races just for the hell of it from 10k to marathon (slowly), but the midwestern weather isn't kind to long distance runners and once I had a child I no longer had time to run 50 miles a week. When I was doing that, I couldn't keep weight on me despite eating all day, every day, except for about three hours before a run. You name it, I ate it, both healthy and unhealthy.

Now it's a bit of a struggle to get to the weight I want - age/office job/less exercise, etc. At the beginning of last year I took up rowing on a Concept II. I have it at home so it's easy to do after work - 30-40 minutes, usually five times a week, covering about 5,600-6,100 meters a go, or so the machine claims. No idea how accurate that is. Goals, such as they are, are both fitness (because I like being fit) and weight loss (because there's more to go). I stopped eating lunch, for the most part, have to have something for breakfast, and then a reasonable dinner after rowing. On this regimen I slowly but steadily dropped a good 20 lbs last year. Need to repeat this year. I only have a short half-mile to my train station for my commute, and not even a 1/4 mile from the station to my office, so little opportunity to build in more activity. Wish I could build in some weightlifting, but don't really know when I would do it. There are a few machines in my office building's "fitness center" but that involves showering during the work day, etc., often difficult to carve out the time. Some years ago my workout regimen was 20 minutes of jumping rope followed by a strenuous weightlifting session, which also worked in terms of weight control but I preferred being outside. The rowing is good though - an all-over exercise and great cardio too.
I'm almost positive you've posted in here before. I remember talking to you about running in the past

I'm still a fat, unfit bastard, in the interest of context. Indoor soccer has started though, I'll get back to running once the weather isn't shite. I still haven't made my mind up about whether to cancel at the gym or not though. It's like CDs, I just can't seem to let go.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost positive you've posted in here before. I remember talking to you about running in the past

I'm still a fat, unfit bastard, in the interest of context. Indoor soccer has started though, I'll get back to running once the weather isn't shite. I still haven't made my mind up about whether to cancel at the gym or not though. It's like CDs, I just can't seem to let go.

That's also possible. My attention span when it comes to BE threads is, er, minimal. Partly due to the fact that it's impossible to remember what was discussed where since we wander all over the place.

I don't get use out of a gym membership, and since my theory is that the best exercise is the one that you actually do, I'll stick with rowing for now. Maybe throw in some situps and pushups or something.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 1:45 pm
Austin. TX.

watch your back, LiW....
unless you have perfect technique, that amount of erging will cause issues. decentrowing on youtube has some videos that our coaches recommend. You should definitely be doing core work as well to reduce risk of back injury.
other than that ...... GOOD JOB!
I hate erging. I only do it because if I didn't then the coaches wouldn't put me in the raceboats.
some of our team members have recently broken world records on the erg - look on the concept2 website for Texas Rowing Center.
Here is a video of Ken, recently turned 60 years old, breaking a world record last week. With him is Christine Cavallo who is current world champion ladies lightweight 2k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.