Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

First time travelling back to the UK as an expat - Checklist

First time travelling back to the UK as an expat - Checklist

Old May 8th 2019, 3:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time travelling back to the UK as an expat - Checklist

Originally Posted by robtuck
Given Emergency treatment is free, I'm not entirely sure how you'd end-up in a situation where you'd use some of the services and have to pay! Although that is for the package, so maybe you get all inclusive or something?
Emergency treatment is just stabilising the patient, eg in a hospital emergency department. Subsequent hospital stays, surgery, recovery, rehabilitation and repatriation are not covered.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 8th 2019 at 3:42 pm.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I suspect meeting this criteria rests on whether it's accepted that you moved overseas for 'work purposes'
I now work for a different division of a multinational corporation, having previously been employed in the UK by the UK subsidiary of the said same company.

I don't see how it couldn't be successfully argued that I moved overseas for 'work purposes'.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You moved to the US a couple of years ago, so under which of the categories in the link you provided are you still eligible for the NHS.?
As mentioned, Subsection K.

I moved overseas for work purposes, that move was within the last five years and immediately prior to the move I was ordinarily resident in the UK for at least ten years.

I'm not the kind of the person that would fly back to the UK for medical treatment on the basis that I've "paid in all my life" and all that nonsense, but I obtained an NHS prescription on my last visit to the UK and had no qualms about doing so since, on the face of it, I was legally entitled to do so.

Old May 8th 2019, 4:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I now work for a different division of a multinational corporation, having previously been employed in the UK by the UK subsidiary of the said same company.

I don't see how it couldn't be successfully argued that I moved overseas for 'work purposes'.
I wasn't giving an opinion one way or the other, I was just posting some information that I thought may be useful to you.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wasn't giving an opinion one way or the other, I was just posting some information that I thought may be useful to you.
Gotcha.

For what it's worth I'm not necessarily sure there SHOULD be a way for me to access the NHS if I no longer live in the UK or pay tax there any more, but the law - as it stands today - is what it is.

Old May 8th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

and while you should absolutely EXPECT to pay in England, it's not always well prepared for billing.
Old May 8th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
and while you should absolutely EXPECT to pay in England, it's not always well prepared for billing.
Indeed. A couple of years back my wife went to an NHS walk-in centre in Central London, this being a good five or six years since we'd left the UK, and they were "you're still on the computer as an NHS patient: are you *sure* you have to pay?" She did, it was only about forty quid.