Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Finding it all too overwhelming

Finding it all too overwhelming

Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice
Default Re: Finding it all too overwhelming

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Yes. The F-1 student visa grants you a period of 12 - 18 months (depending on field of study) after you graduate in which you can look for a job. If you get a job, your employer can choose to sponsor you for an H-1B (work) visa. The H-1B work visa is a path to permanent residency, which is a path to citizenship. If you can't get a job in that time, you have to go home. No second chance unless you do an entirely new degree.
12-29 months (depending on the field of study)*

As others have mentioned, apart from getting married, the best option would be to study in the US. You may want to have a look into how much this costs though, as it can run into the $100k+ region quite easily.

It may be best to see this as a long term option. Obviously your situation makes this difficult, however studying for a degree in the UK and either working for a company with the aim to get a transfer to the US or studying a masters degree in the US would be a good plan.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TangoBlue
12-29 months (depending on the field of study)*
Oh, they must have changed things again since my OPT days. Back then they were extending things for STEM, and I know there were other changes in the works. Thanks for providing the updated times!
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

TheDaveP93 is an unknown quantity at this point

From all these answers, I think I'm going to TRY come on a student visa and go back to school. I'll finish my bachelors degree and try get a job related to what I studied for. Is there anywhere I go to learn how I can do this? Maybe a guide in simple explanation? Maybe a checklist of things I have to sort out?

EDIT: I was researching the F-1 visa and found this

"F-1 visas are normally granted for the duration of the course of study; however, candidates may remain in the country for up to 60 days after the course is completed." - http://www.globalvisas.com/us_immigr...dent_visa.html

Is this outdated or am I getting confused? From what you've been saying I was under the impression that I would be able to stay up to over 12 months after finishing my course.

Last edited by TheDaveP93; Oct 1st 2012 at 4:11 am.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDaveP93
From all these answers, I think I'm going to TRY come on a student visa and go back to school. I'll finish my bachelors degree and try get a job related to what I studied for. Is there anywhere I go to learn how I can do this? Maybe a guide in simple explanation? Maybe a checklist of things I have to sort out?

EDIT: I was researching the F-1 visa and found this

"F-1 visas are normally granted for the duration of the course of study; however, candidates may remain in the country for up to 60 days after the course is completed." - http://www.globalvisas.com/us_immigr...dent_visa.html

Is this outdated or am I getting confused? From what you've been saying I was under the impression that I would be able to stay up to over 12 months after finishing my course.
Here's the US government's web site.
Looks like you can only stay 60 days after your visa expires.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They were talking about OPT.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDaveP93

You have 60 days to leave the US after you graduate if you haven't applied for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is what allows you go job search for 12 - 29 months depending on field of study.

The only way to learn how to apply for the F1 is to do what all of us did: research and read.