British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   It finally happened in real life "I'm a republican" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/finally-happened-real-life-im-republican-933161/)

kimilseung Jun 12th 2020 2:32 pm

It finally happened in real life "I'm a republican"

In this time of lock down, I am back at college studying via Zoom.
The instructor sometimes picks on me for my English/Britishness, he is quite chatty and likes to joke.
He wanted examples of US versus British democracy, to go over Task Analysis, he asked me to get the British examples rolling, I gave him Monarch as head of State.
Later he asks me if Charles will ever he head of State, "I hope not" I say. He sounds genuinely shocked, "I am a republican" I offer as explanation.
"small r, republican" I add realizing my mistake. The session comes to an end, and I realize my explanation addendum probably didnt make things any clearer.
Now on Monday when we Zoom again, do I explain or just forget it?

HDWill Jun 12th 2020 3:55 pm

Re: It finally happened in real life "I'm a republican"

What field is this instructor in? Anyway, it's true that many/most Americans don't know what 'republican' means in the British context unless you explain it to them.

MMcD Jun 12th 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12865714)
The instructor sometimes picks on me for my English/Britishness, he is quite chatty and likes to joke.
He wanted examples of US versus British democracy, to go over Task Analysis, he asked me to get the British examples rolling, I gave him Monarch as head of State.
Later he asks me if Charles will ever he head of State, "I hope not" I say. He sounds genuinely shocked, "I am a republican" I offer as explanation.
"small r, republican" I add realizing my mistake. The session comes to an end, and I realize my explanation addendum probably didnt make things any clearer.

Serendipitous and opportune...it's a perfect case of the "British examples" he says he's looking for when he calls on you. Not a mistake at all.
Vive la différence
And the misunderstanding :lol:
ps: You could muddy the perennial "pond" even more on Mon. by reminding him of James Madison's famous utterance

TexanScot Jun 12th 2020 5:01 pm

"small r, republican" I add realizing my mistake.

If there's one thing that the Republicans and the Conservatives have in common, it's that they both like to blame things on the "Liberal Democrats" :D

civilservant Jun 12th 2020 5:08 pm

Depends on what subject you're studying.

If it's Poli/Sci I wouldn't bother, he probably did get it.

If it's Liberal Arts, then an expanded explanation will probably make things clearer.

Tarkak9 Jun 12th 2020 8:36 pm

If you want to dare to offer more tongue in cheek confusion, you could always say, "absolutely do I believe in - Make America Great .... Britain, Again" .....

MMcD Jun 12th 2020 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 12865910)
If you want to dare to offer more tongue in cheek confusion, you could always say, "absolutely do I believe in - Make America Great .... Britain, Again" .....

:lol:
Clever...and funny

carcajou Jun 13th 2020 11:55 am

Forget it. He probably did get it, but anyways it will be forgotten about, and on to the next topic in the next lesson. If he says anything that indicates some kind of confusion, clarify then.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12866172)
Forget it. He probably did get it, but anyways it will be forgotten about, and on to the next topic in the next lesson. If he says anything that indicates some kind of confusion, clarify then.

Agreed, I'd leave well alone, unless asked or it becomes specifically relevant. There is huge potential to either further confuse matter and/or annoy or irritate your audience - some combination of sounding like you're patronizing them, sounding like you're back-peddling, sounding like a pretentious tosser, sounding like you're lecturing them, giving them impression that you think American usage of "republican" is wrong, or all of the above.

FWIW when I am asked about the royal family I always mention that the alternative is that you end up with a head of state mired in party politics and it doesn't matter whether you're a Republican, and Democrat, or a center-ground floater, there has to be some value in having a head of state who can be above the political BS. I am resigned to spending about 40-50%% of my life, on average, utterly disgusted with the occupant of the Whitehouse.

HDWill Jun 19th 2020 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12868502)
FWIW when I am asked about the royal family I always mention that the alternative is that you end up with a head of state mired in party politics and it doesn't matter whether you're a Republican, and Democrat, or a center-ground floater, there has to be some value in having a head of state who can be above the political BS. I am resigned to spending about 40-50%% of my life, on average, utterly disgusted with the occupant of the Whitehouse.

Don't Germany, Italy etc have Presidents who, though having a partisan background, mostly stay above the fray? They seem to fulfill a kind of temporary monarchical role (though with far less prestige-- hardly anyone outside those countries could name them).

Pulaski Jun 19th 2020 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by HDWill (Post 12869274)
Don't Germany, Italy etc have Presidents who, though having a partisan background, mostly stay above the fray? .....

They also have a multi-party/ PR electoral system, (unlike the UK and US, which have predominantly a two party system) so there is more often broad political centre-ground support for leading political figures.