Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Finally getting ready to move

Finally getting ready to move

Old Feb 14th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

slices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally getting ready to move

About time I posted here.

Situation in short, I'm a UKC my wife is a USC. We got married 9 years ago, and have been living in the UK since then.

Nine years on we have two kids aged 7 and 4, both dual nationals, and my wife has both passports as well.

In the past year or so we've started feeling that we should relocate to the US.
Mostly to be closer to the in-laws who are no longer able to visit us.

My wife is originally from MA but the inlaws moved to Sarasota, FL a number of years ago, so we are thinking of moving around there. Possibly slightly closer to Tampa as there seems to be a higher concentration of jobs around there.

Rough plan at the moment is to try and move Summer 2016, currently trying to do up the house so we can sell it.

I've been lurking here for a while and have found this a very useful resource, thank you.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally getting ready to move

Welcome! I am in Tampa area, and have (ex) in laws in Venice.

This is the place for any questions, but I do not claim to have all the answers.

What kind of work are you after?
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slices

My wife is originally from MA but the inlaws moved to Sarasota, FL a number of years ago, so we are thinking of moving around there.
Nice that your in-laws are not in MA any more. At the moment New England is experiencing its 4th (?) blizzard, so another foot of snow is falling on top of the 2 (-ish) feet that have already come our way.

Florida sounds pretty nice....
Old Feb 14th 2015, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

slices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH

This is the place for any questions, but I do not claim to have all the answers.

What kind of work are you after?
Software development, slightly strange in that I'm actually leaving my current job soon and looking for something locally to keep me going until we move. Maybe not the best timing, but the redundancy will make the move a little easier.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 1:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH

This is the place for any questions, but I do not claim to have all the answers. ....
Welcome.

I visited Florida, once, so I'm not going to be much help to you there, but I have answers to lots of other questions.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

About time I posted here.

Situation in short, I'm a UKC my wife is a USC. We got married 9 years ago, and have been living in the UK since then.

Nine years on we have two kids aged 7 and 4, both dual nationals, and my wife has both passports as well.

My wife is originally from MA but the inlaws moved to Sarasota, FL a number of years ago, so we are thinking of moving around there. Possibly slightly closer to Tampa as there seems to be a higher concentration of jobs around there.

Rough plan at the moment is to try and move Summer 2016, currently trying to do up the house so we can sell it.

I've been lurking here for a while and have found this a very useful resource, thank you.
Yeah, If I were moving to Florida it would be the Tampa area. Tampa is nice. Sarasota too, but that may be too close to the In-Laws.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

How close to the in-laws is a bit up in the air. My mother in law has recently suggested that they sell their condo and help us buy a bigger place with some kind of in-law suite.
Would certainly help with childcare etc, and would make it easier to keep an eye on things. As long as they have they have their own lounge, and we have fenced yard so the kids can run off some steam occasionally it should work.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 12:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How close to the in-laws is a bit up in the air. My mother in law has recently suggested that they sell their condo and help us buy a bigger place with some kind of in-law suite.
Would certainly help with childcare etc, and would make it easier to keep an eye on things. As long as they have they have their own lounge, and we have fenced yard so the kids can run off some steam occasionally it should work.
My in-laws used to live next door. It was a good arrangement but Mrs P and I both agreed that was as close as they were coming. ..... Bizarrely they moved halfway across the state shortly after little Miss P's second birthday, around the time that she was getting used to the idea that granny and grandpa lived next door. Now they complain that they don’t see us very often!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Welcome.

I visited Florida, once, so I'm not going to be much help to you there, but I have answers to lots of other questions.
Even questions that nobody is asking.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Also live in Tampa with my USC husband, although we plan to move to the UK in 2017. Any questions about Tampa welcomed