British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Fax machines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/fax-machines-888333/)

GeoffM Dec 9th 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Fax machines

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12119011)
I've been working in healthcare IT for the past 10 years now, and Faxes are one of my pet peeves. I agree with everyone posting here that faxing sucks, but - it is considered secure.

I don't disagree with you - but when the output tray of the recipient's fax machine is unattended, a fax is as secure as boiling water in a chocolate teapot. So many times in a doctor's office or pharmacy I could have just reached over and taken some presumably sensitive documents. :thumbdown:

mrken30 Dec 9th 2016 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 12125499)
I don't disagree with you - but when the output tray of the recipient's fax machine is unattended, a fax is as secure as boiling water in a chocolate teapot. So many times in a doctor's office or pharmacy I could have just reached over and taken some presumably sensitive documents. :thumbdown:

Who boils water in a teapot? I get the point though. I have heard of people doing this and then wonder why the thing cracks on the range.

tom169 Dec 9th 2016 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 12125499)

I agree. It's similar to leaving a computer unlocked.

mrken30 Dec 9th 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12125538)
I agree. It's similar to leaving a computer unlocked.

This drives me crazy, just a little pet peeve. I deal with sensitive information and some employees are always leaving their machine unlocked.

GeoffM Dec 9th 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125504)
Who boils water in a teapot? I get the point though. I have heard of people doing this and then wonder why the thing cracks on the range.

I see the confusion :rofl: I meant the presence of boiling water, not the act of boiling it!

mrken30 Dec 9th 2016 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 12125570)
I see the confusion :rofl: I meant the presence of boiling water, not the act of boiling it!

i haven't heard of anyone trying to put an electric kettle on a range, but I'm sure it has been done. There seems to be a lack of knowledge of kettles and teapots in the US.

tom169 Dec 9th 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125569)
This drives me crazy, just a little pet peeve. I deal with sensitive information and some employees are always leaving their machine unlocked.

Indeed. At the last place I worked if someone noticed an unlocked computer they would send a department wide message saying they will bring donuts in for everyone. :rofl:

AdobePinon Dec 10th 2016 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12125012)
I still found it crazy that when I bought a car from a dealer in another state I handed over a cashiers check for the balance and drove it away without them doing any sort of validation on it - in the UK nobody in their right mind would let you drive a car away without cleared funds!

That's easy. They'd just report you for theft, and if necessary claim it back on their insurance.

Duncan Roberts Dec 10th 2016 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12124979)
Faxes are way less secure than e-mail, any moron can spoof the sending number, how many calls do you get a day that claim to be from number X and it's someone in India trying to con you? Now if I can get into your SMTP I can spoof any e-mail address I want, but even basic SMTP implementations don't allow you to do that without a username and password.

Not that I disagree with your general comments about e-mail, one of my pet peeves are people who use webmail without SSL certificates, which Exchange and Office 365 force you to have, but various open source programs don't. The problem is that TLS and SSL do put an overhead on the server but seriously nowadays with how fast computers are, who cares?

Faxes though overall are way less secure. There are various ways of spoofing sending and receiving numbers and intercepting them over-the-wire.

This is all totally irrelevant. Fax is legally secure, email is not unless it's a secure system like Zixmail. At least in healthcare. It's a little more complicated than that but in general that holds true.

Duncan Roberts Dec 10th 2016 12:42 am

Originally Posted by thinbrit (Post 12119431)
I'm not aware of any veterinary practice management software that interfaces directly with a pharmacy network, nor do I have any intention of making a switch to one that does. I can't imagine that being a selling point.

They exist. They don't tie into a pharmacy network though, they tie in to an e-prescription service. I'm not familiar with the veterinary side of it but I know that Surescripts, which is the giant network in the US, does tie into veterinary software.

Pulaski Dec 10th 2016 3:03 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125504)

You missed the word that made the post funny.

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 12125570)

MrKen didn't seem to notice that you said chocolate teapot.

mrken30 Dec 10th 2016 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125954)
You missed the word that made the post funny.

MrKen didn't seem to notice that you said chocolate teapot.

I totally did see the chocolate part, hence saying "I get the point". It's just I normally hear making tea in a chocolate tea pot, not boiling. it's just I had this image of a tea pot melted all over the range, before the water got anywhere near boiling.

Pulaski Dec 10th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125978)
I totally did see the chocolate part, ....

In that case your post makes even less sense.

:getcoat:

mrken30 Dec 10th 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12126175)
In that case your post makes even less sense.

:getcoat:

I use a kettle to boil the water not a teapot.
Kettles are often put on a range to boil.
I pour boiling water from the kettle into the teapot.

They may do things differently on the east coast or up north.

Steerpike Dec 12th 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 12125905)
This is all totally irrelevant. Fax is legally secure, email is not unless it's a secure system like Zixmail. At least in healthcare. It's a little more complicated than that but in general that holds true.

This was my original point - LEGALLY secure. The fact that, in practice, there are many reasons a fax is not secure just goes to show how regulations are often out-of-step with current technology. And yes, email can be quite unsecure unless you use a system like Zixmail. The fact that you CAN make 'ordinary' email secure doesn't really matter; on the receiving end, if you can't enforce secure delivery to yourself (as a medical practice) then you are opening yourself up to liability. In Healthcare IT, it's as much about compliance as it is about 'actual security', sadly.