British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Fax machines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/fax-machines-888333/)

Pulaski Dec 10th 2016 3:03 am

Re: Fax machines

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125504)
Who boils water in a teapot? I get the point though. I have heard of people doing this and then wonder why the thing cracks on the range.

You missed the word that made the post funny.

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 12125570)
I see the confusion :rofl: I meant the presence of boiling water, not the act of boiling it!

MrKen didn't seem to notice that you said chocolate teapot.

mrken30 Dec 10th 2016 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125954)
You missed the word that made the post funny.

MrKen didn't seem to notice that you said chocolate teapot.

I totally did see the chocolate part, hence saying "I get the point". It's just I normally hear making tea in a chocolate tea pot, not boiling. it's just I had this image of a tea pot melted all over the range, before the water got anywhere near boiling.

Pulaski Dec 10th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12125978)
I totally did see the chocolate part, ....

In that case your post makes even less sense.

:getcoat:

mrken30 Dec 10th 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12126175)
In that case your post makes even less sense.

:getcoat:

I use a kettle to boil the water not a teapot.
Kettles are often put on a range to boil.
I pour boiling water from the kettle into the teapot.

They may do things differently on the east coast or up north.

Steerpike Dec 12th 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 12125905)
This is all totally irrelevant. Fax is legally secure, email is not unless it's a secure system like Zixmail. At least in healthcare. It's a little more complicated than that but in general that holds true.

This was my original point - LEGALLY secure. The fact that, in practice, there are many reasons a fax is not secure just goes to show how regulations are often out-of-step with current technology. And yes, email can be quite unsecure unless you use a system like Zixmail. The fact that you CAN make 'ordinary' email secure doesn't really matter; on the receiving end, if you can't enforce secure delivery to yourself (as a medical practice) then you are opening yourself up to liability. In Healthcare IT, it's as much about compliance as it is about 'actual security', sadly.

Steerpike Dec 12th 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12125538)
I agree. It's similar to leaving a computer unlocked.

I had a developer complain to me the other day that he was having to re-login due to inactivity timeout locks 'every few minutes', and that it was affecting his productivity. I did some investigation, and determined the timeout was something like 20 mins. I finally got him to do some tests (stopwatch) and he agreed, it was only locking him out after 20 minutes! He still complained that this was bad for his productivity and wanted me to exclude him from that policy (ha ha, no F**ing way).

Whenever I see an unlocked computer, I quickly run notepad and type 'You have been hacked'.

Nutek Dec 12th 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12127617)
I had a developer complain to me the other day that he was having to re-login due to inactivity timeout locks 'every few minutes', and that it was affecting his productivity. I did some investigation, and determined the timeout was something like 20 mins. I finally got him to do some tests (stopwatch) and he agreed, it was only locking him out after 20 minutes! He still complained that this was bad for his productivity and wanted me to exclude him from that policy (ha ha, no F**ing way).

Whenever I see an unlocked computer, I quickly run notepad and type 'You have been hacked'.

:nod:

All the computers on our Domain lock after 20 minutes.

tom169 Dec 12th 2016 7:33 pm

It seems like something else is reducing his productivity if he can be AFK for 20 mins! :lol:

Duncan Roberts Dec 12th 2016 9:50 pm

That's pretty nice of you, if you're leave your computer locked where I work you could come back to anything!

Pulaski Dec 12th 2016 10:13 pm

When I was still working in London I had a booked meeting with a friend in the same department - we knew each other well and were both part of a group who would go for drinks after work. Well, I went into his office but he chose to carry on chatting with one of his team, and I waited and waited - and he could see me sitting there waiting. :frown: After about ten minutes I noticed his computer was still open, so I went to MSWord and changed his autocorrect to change "department" into "monkey house". A couple of months later he was working late in the office before flying to the Netherlands the following day. Luckily he noticed that his report referred to "the audit monkey house" before he printed off the finalized document. :rofl: