British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Favourite American foods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/favourite-american-foods-717572/)

Squirrel May 18th 2011 8:55 pm

Favourite American foods

Rather than British foods you miss in America, what US foods would you miss if you moved back home?

We live in London and the US foods I wish you could get here in the UK are:

Bloomin onions - delicious

Sweet potato chips (ie french fries) - better for you than ordinary potato and taste nicer. Also baked sweet potatoes (I know I can make them at home but I wish you could get them in restaurants)

Peanut butter sauce on ice cream - OMG

I also prefer the American idea of having cream or half cream for coffee instead of just milk like in the UK

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Favourite American foods

California Pizza Kitchen's BLT pizza on an ultra thin crispy base. That's it. :)

N1cky May 18th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9373348)
Rather than British foods you miss in America, what US foods would you miss if you moved back home?

We live in London and the US foods I wish you could get here in the UK are:

Bloomin onions - delicious

Sweet potato chips (ie french fries) - better for you than ordinary potato and taste nicer. Also baked sweet potatoes (I know I can make them at home but I wish you could get them in restaurants)

Peanut butter sauce on ice cream - OMG

I also prefer the American idea of having cream or half cream for coffee instead of just milk like in the UK

What are bloomin onions?

We were talking about this at dinner last night, Mexican food as a collective. There are very few Mexican restaurants and no taco stands or even chains like Sharkeys, Chipotle. Maybe it's a good business idea:unsure:.

Nothing else I can think of.

Noorah101 May 18th 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9373353)
What are bloomin onions?

http://www.dailyfork.com/Outback%20Bloomin%20Onion.jpg

Rene

N1cky May 18th 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9373381)

I looked at that, and googled it, I have to say it looks like serious heartburn to me. I won't be in a rush to give it a go.

Mummy in the foothills May 18th 2011 9:17 pm

Love those Blooming onions.
But I'd miss Chicken fried steak and country gravy. Also Biscuits and country gravy.
Now I need to learn how to do those things from scratch so I will be able to make them in the UK

lisag8070 May 18th 2011 9:25 pm

goldfish...:o

Squirrel May 18th 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 9373412)
goldfish...:o

Do you mean the crackers? I'm lucky enough to work right near a shop called Partridges that sells quite a few American products including Goldfish crackers, so I'm able to get these in lots of varieties for DH, as well as Yorke peppermint patties, Kraft mac 'n cheese and lots of other US candy bars.

One thing they don't stock that DH misses is a breakfast cereal called Product 19.

lisag8070 May 18th 2011 9:46 pm

yep those are the ones..

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/pu...5_142892_1.jpg

extra cheddar..yum, perfect snack for in between meals..

but I have to admit I needed to google product 19 cereal, I've never heard of it before..or seen it.

jemima55 May 18th 2011 10:44 pm

Product 19 sounds like a sci-fi food.

Noorah101 May 18th 2011 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9373563)

Secret Agent Product 19, please meet Double Agent Special K. Please report to Captain Crunch. LOL

I recently re-discovered Captain Crunch cereal. I loved it as a kid, and love it still as an adult. Probably 100% sugar, but hey, I eat it with Silk Soy Milk so it's *kinda* healthy!

Rene

AmerLisa May 18th 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9373428)
Do you mean the crackers? I'm lucky enough to work right near a shop called Partridges that sells quite a few American products including Goldfish crackers, so I'm able to get these in lots of varieties for DH, as well as Yorke peppermint patties, Kraft mac 'n cheese and lots of other US candy bars.

One thing they don't stock that DH misses is a breakfast cereal called Product 19.

I don't think they do that anymore.... :unsure:

S Folinsky May 18th 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9373563)

Product 19 beats Froot Loops anyday. Also Kosher and Pareve.

Connell May 18th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 9373463)
yep those are the ones..

extra cheddar..yum, perfect snack for in between meals.

Between meals? A big bag of goldfish and a couple of Sierra Nevada pale ales has often turned out to be dinner for me. :)

sir_eccles May 18th 2011 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9373391)
Love those Blooming onions.
But I'd miss Chicken fried steak and country gravy. Also Biscuits and country gravy.
Now I need to learn how to do those things from scratch so I will be able to make them in the UK

Oooh biscuits and gravy. I've become quite the fan of American diner food in general, corn beef hash, home fries, chicken fried steak, southern fried chicken, etc. Then there are things like BBQ (I tend towards Kansas city style thanks to the wife), burnt ends sandwich, ribs, brisket, smoked mystery meats.

On the other end of the scale, sushi. I mean really good sushi. As far as I know the UK doesn't really have sushi beyond supermarket rolls and a few silly conveyor places neither of which are ever very good.