Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Favourite American foods

Favourite American foods

Old May 19th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite American foods

Originally Posted by Squirrel
We live in London and the US foods I wish you could get here in the UK are:

Bloomin onions - delicious

I also prefer the American idea of having cream or half cream for coffee instead of just milk like in the UK
This puzzles me a great deal.......you can get bloomin' onions in any bloomin' supermarket or at any bloomin' market stall or any bloomin' greengrocers in the bloomin' UK - bloomin white, red or bloomin' spring....just takes your bloomin' choice!

Instead of milk like here in the UK? What's to stop you poppin' down to your nearest Waitrose or Sainsbury's or the world's largest supermarket chain bloomin' Tesco where you can buy any kind of cream you like to put in whatever kind of coffee it is you drink.

I am as British as bangers 'n'mash or a bacon 'n' marmite sarnie but I never put milk into my coffee here in my own flat.....it's always cream, or sometimes tinned condensed milk if there's one going spare in my fridge from breakfast, and in restaurants I always demand cream if they offer milk, whether cold or warmed up, and I always get it.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
This puzzles me a great deal.......you can get bloomin' onions in any bloomin' supermarket or at any bloomin' market stall or any bloomin' greengrocers in the bloomin' UK - bloomin white, red or bloomin' spring....just takes your bloomin' choice!

Instead of milk like here in the UK? What's to stop you poppin' down to your nearest Waitrose or Sainsbury's or the world's largest supermarket chain bloomin' Tesco where you can buy any kind of cream you like to put in whatever kind of coffee it is you drink.

I am as British as bangers 'n'mash or a bacon 'n' marmite sarnie but I never put milk into my coffee here in my own flat.....it's always cream, or sometimes tinned condensed milk if there's one going spare in my fridge from breakfast, and in restaurants I always demand cream if they offer milk, whether cold or warmed up, and I always get it.
A bloomin' onion has to be seen to be believed. Sold in pseudo-Aussie restaurant chain, Outback Steakhouse, it is a whole onion, cut so there are a series of onion 'soldiers' for want of a better word, still attached to the base, and then deep fried and served with a dip.

I never had that one, but another chain, Chilis, had one they called an Awesome Blossom. I had one of those, could barely eat half . Needless to say, Chilis pulled it because it had about 3 million calories . . .

They make you fart like a mother****er as well
Old May 19th 2011, 9:00 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Connell
Between meals? A big bag of goldfish and a couple of Sierra Nevada pale ales has often turned out to be dinner for me.
yep all finished off with reeses peanut butter cups..

A meal fit for champions.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What you get is onion rings, not a bloomin' onion.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blooming_onion

And Half and Half is pretty good and not something you really get in the UK. It's a different fat content...but also why you don't get much clotted cream over here.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A bloomin' onion has to be seen to be believed. Sold in pseudo-Aussie restaurant chain, Outback Steakhouse, it is a whole onion, cut so there are a series of onion 'soldiers' for want of a better word, still attached to the base, and then deep fried and served with a dip.

I never had that one, but another chain, Chilis, had one they called an Awesome Blossom. I had one of those, could barely eat half . Needless to say, Chilis pulled it because it had about 3 million calories . . .

They make you fart like a mother****er as well
I was just trying to explain what one was to my hubby, after the shock of discovering them myself yesterday, so had to google it again. Apparantly the Chillis version had 2,700 calories, and around 140 grams of fat. Gross
Old May 19th 2011, 9:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I was just trying to explain what one was to my hubby, after the shock of discovering them myself yesterday, so had to google it again. Apparantly the Chillis version had 2,700 calories, and around 140 grams of fat. Gross
I love onions myself, and when I ordered it it was my first ever time in the US, never mind a Chilis. I was defeated about a quarter of the way in. I can handle big meals but that was just too much for me!

Bear in mind Lothianlad - this is a starter . . .
Old May 19th 2011, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I was just talking about the 'laying on' generally of half and half in the US. eg at my work we get free tea and coffee but they only provide little pots of long life semi skimmed milk, rather than cream. I know I can buy cream for home use, but in the US every convenience store has cream, here I don't really want to carry cream around with me.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It is...but it is also awesome...and also not something meant for one person...they're meant for 4-6 people...so it's only slightly bad
Old May 19th 2011, 9:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It is...but it is also awesome...and also not something meant for one person...they're meant for 4-6 people...so it's only slightly bad
Oh well, that's alright then
Old May 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh well, that's alright then
Doesn't stop greedy buggers from ordering one each though
Old May 19th 2011, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Doesn't stop greedy buggers from ordering one each though
It amazes me the choices people make with food. I don't really watch what I eat and consume plenty of crap, but I don't understand why people would eat something with that many calories, it's just crazy.

You could have 2 slices of Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake for those calories.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It amazes me the choices people make with food. I don't really watch what I eat and consume plenty of crap, but I don't understand why people would eat something with that many calories, it's just crazy.

You could have 2 slices of Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake for those calories.
It's like people who eat those pot noodle ramen things, 2 servings in a packet, so about your daily intake in one go

And, I'd rather a bloomin' onion to the CFC....nom,nom, croak
Old May 19th 2011, 10:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

and in restaurants I always demand cream if they offer milk, whether cold or warmed up, and I always get it.
You must be as popular at home as you are here.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:53 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I had my first Bloomin Onion in Scotland at a restaurant called Roos Leap it's an Aussie themed restaurant like Outback.

I would miss paying $6.00 a lb for Gulf Coast Shrimp and going back to spending £6.00 for a packet of 8 'King Prawns'.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah maybe Chipotle (the restaurant).
yeah baby..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.