Reload this Page >

Family Move to Florida

Family Move to Florida

Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

ZoeBenFlorida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Move to Florida

Hello,

Myself and husband are looking to relocate with our 2 children to Florida and are looking for advise on best way to do so. My husband is a Senior Quantity Surveyor and I am a self employed Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor. Any advise you have will be greatly received! Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Move to Florida

Here you go:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

See if you can qualify under any of these categories.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for disappointment. For starters, there’s more to living in the USA than it appears from a fortnight in the House of Mouse. That’s even if you manage to qualify for a visa which, given the information you’ve provided, would be nigh on impossible.

Read the article referenced above and then feel free to come back and ask for more info if you think you might qualify.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile in Florida

Check out this thread. Should balance out the post vacation blues.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

US visas based on work require a job offer first, and the problem your husband faces is that non-US qualifications and professional certifications are not recognize in the US - this applies whether you are an electrician or a surgeon, or anywhere in between. So the prospect of him getting a job offer is at best extremely slim. Also bear in mind that several times a year we see people come here, to BE, saying "I've been offered a job in the US, how do I get a visa?" which basically means that the prospective employer doesn't realize that they, the employer, has to apply for the visa, and there is no applicable visa type for a car mechanic, office manager, hairdresser, etc., so the job offer is worthless because there is no route to a visa.

On paper at least you could potentially buy and run some sort of gym using an E-2 visa, but I would say that is extremely inadvisable for several reasons, not least that gym's are two-a-penny in the US - with membership often around $20-$30/mth, and then apartment buildings often have a gym too.

The only likely route you have, in the longer term, is for one of you to find a job with a company that has business in both countries, then try to wrangle a transfer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 17th 2020 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was not a QS, but worked with them, most of whom had worked overseas on major construction projects, none in the US.

I remember using the term here and nobody had a clue what a QS is.

Does your Husband have any US job leads?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

On paper at least you could potentially buy and run some sort of gym using an E-2 visa, but I would say that is extremely inadvisable for several reasons, not least that gym's are two-a-penny in the US - with membership often around $20-$30/mth, and then apartment buildings often have a gym too.
When was the last time you went to the gym? I pay $67/month for a membership at the Y (aka the most affordable place to work out) + a $99 joining fee. An Orange Theory class costs $30 a pop. A friend of mine is a personal trainer and is making an absolute fortune. So I think there's plenty of money to be made in the fitness industry, especially in places that place a lot of emphasis on appearance/health etc. Perhaps the OP would be better off in LA !
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:08 am
Account Closed

I have been past those Chain 20 bucks places so they are certainly here, personal trainer business from what I have been told is precarious and I am sure some do well and anyway does not get you a visa.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Jan 18th 2020 at 12:12 am.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
When was the last time you went to the gym? I pay $67/month for a membership at the Y (aka the most affordable place to work out) + a $99 joining fee. ....
You know I don't live in CA, right?

Mrs P's gym membership hit our bank account today. ... $22/mth, but that is an "any location" membership and if she tied herself to using only one location it would be half that. The joining fee was $10.

FWIW the Y would cost about 3x as much, but includes a pool, but also ties us, effectively, to one location (the other Y's share with are not in places we ever go).

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 18th 2020 at 1:02 am.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Joining fees are negotiable.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
When was the last time you went to the gym? I pay $67/month for a membership at the Y (aka the most affordable place to work out) + a $99 joining fee. An Orange Theory class costs $30 a pop. A friend of mine is a personal trainer and is making an absolute fortune. So I think there's plenty of money to be made in the fitness industry, especially in places that place a lot of emphasis on appearance/health etc. Perhaps the OP would be better off in LA !
Gym we go to is $20 a month. Was a dollar to sign up.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:38 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Joining fees are negotiable.
And for older folks, many Medicare plans offer a free gym membership.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Planet Fitness currently offers 20 cent sign-up and $10 a month with no contract.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Planet Fitness currently offers 20 cent sign-up and $10 a month with no contract.
Sign-up fees must be regional. It’s a dollar sign-up here for the ‘$10 a month’ deal. I’d even consider it if there was one closer than 80 miles away.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 6:32 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

What is this gym you speak of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.