Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Family based immigration changes ahoy?

Family based immigration changes ahoy?

Old May 17th 2019, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice
Default Family based immigration changes ahoy?

The Beeb carried an article today explaining a WH statement wrt potential/desirable changes to the family based immigration system.

Of course congressional approval would be necessary and is unlikely given the current field layout but does anyone think that the sanctity of a marriage to a US citizen will shortly no longer suffice? Does anybody know more about this? Do those of us holding out need to move now or forever be banished?

Apologies if I've been wound up by an over embellished article. Cheers
Old May 17th 2019, 8:01 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family based immigration changes ahoy?

No one has suggested removing the right of a USC to sponsor their spouse and they never will, extended family is ripe for cutting in the future though.

This President is not going to get an immigration bill passed in this term. Unlikely in a hypothetical second term too unless the Repubs take back the House.
Old May 17th 2019, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

I must admit I had thought from previous mutterings by POTUS that this would likely target extended family. Glad to hear the opinion is that this shouldn't affect the C/IR1. Thanks
Old May 17th 2019, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave2726
I must admit I had thought from previous mutterings by POTUS that this would likely target extended family. Glad to hear the opinion is that this shouldn't affect the C/IR1. Thanks
Without referring back to your old posts, is that the visa you are attempting to obtain or is it one that you have already gotten? Wondering if there were a personal reason why you are concerned that it might be discontinued for USCs married to foreigners?
Old May 17th 2019, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is nothing new, there has been talk of Comprehensive Immigration Reform as long as I can remember.

Nothing ever happens.
Old May 17th 2019, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Without referring back to your old posts, is that the visa you are attempting to obtain or is it one that you have already gotten? Wondering if there were a personal reason why you are concerned that it might be discontinued for USCs married to foreigners?
Rete, I am a UKC married to a USC both living in the UK. USC is now dual US/UK and so it is prudent to look to the future. We have been on and off about the idea of a move back for years, as my post history will indicate!