Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

F-ing health insurance in this country!!!

F-ing health insurance in this country!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:03 am

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F-ing health insurance in this country!!!

Sorry, but I have to have a rant here or I'll explode or book a ticket to England and leave forever (if only I was well enough!)

I just got a bill from Kaiser P for $270 for 2 physical therapy sessions and that's on top of the $60 x 2 copay I paid already. (The third session I went to isn't even on this bill yet).

So for 2 lousy sessions where she showed me a few exercises and sent me home with some printouts to follow... for that price ($390) I could have paid a private practitioner of my choice (massage, acupuncture, energy work, you name it in San Francisco!) and had a lot more personalized care, and as many as 3 or 4 sessions.

What if I was even more seriously ill??! Hospitalized? It's a wake up call... To have the worry of being off work and not earning, and then these bills that come a month later with the hidden charges.

The USA is an uncivilized country. It does not look after the poor and sick. (Not that I'm poor, but stay sick long enough and that could change).

I want to leave this place before I get old. Besides, I've been missing the dawn chorus something rotten

That's all I have to say.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F-ing health insurance in this country!!!

Did you need physical therapy?

US health care can certainly cost a lot if you allow the medical professionals to push you around. The counterbalance to this is to keep aware of what is going on, which I know isn't easy for many, but ask what you're being booked into/ signed up for/ prescribed, and whether it is covered by your insurance. If the benefit is marginal/ questionable, or you'd prefer to pay for your own massage, chiropractor, or whatever, then say "no" and decline the treatment.

There is only one person in the world who is totally invested in your wellbeing and what is best for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:47 am

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I needed (and still need) physical therapy. Kaiser is not able to tell you the final cost up front. Thus there are hidden costs. When you are sick and desperate you are vulnerable. You will go towards what seems safe/known first.

Trust me, not going through Kaiser now for anything but a regular check up or broken leg etc. I will be looking elsewhere for treatment. Just angry I'm paying a monthly premium for very little return.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her you're not happy with what you got for the money. The moment that providers can no longer provide crap for mega $ will be a turning point of sorts.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
I just got a bill from Kaiser P for $270 for 2 physical therapy sessions and that's on top of the $60 x 2 copay I paid already. (The third session I went to isn't even on this bill yet).
Perhaps you have an annual deductible that was unmet in addition to the per-session copayments?

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Trust me, not going through Kaiser now for anything but a regular check up or broken leg etc. I will be looking elsewhere for treatment. Just angry I'm paying a monthly premium for very little return.
Maybe you should break your leg then so you do?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 23rd 2014 at 4:19 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It seems surprising that they cannot tell you what the cost will be.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It seems surprising that they cannot tell you what the cost will be.
You are being sarcastic aren't you?

The system is so complicated that even if they wanted to tell you I think that, quite honestly, they really just don't know ...
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
You are being sarcastic aren't you?

The system is so complicated that even if they wanted to tell you I think that, quite honestly, they really just don't know ...
Did I say 'surprising'? I meant '****ing ridiculous'.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: F-ing health insurance in this country!!!

Originally Posted by md95065

I do sympathise with you - it's one of the reasons why I have no desire to grow old in the USA.

I remember a few years ago that I needed to have some vaccinations as I was going on a trip to India to meet up with my daughter at the end of her Gap year. Our local doctor's surgery is part of a large medical group and they have a doctor who deals with tropical medicine.

I was really worried about whether or not I was covered by our insurance (at the time United Healthcare) for jabs for rabies and yellow fever and how much it would cost if the insurance didn't cover it. I asked the doctor and he didn't have a clue how much it cost and seemed surprised that I'd even asked him; as far as he was concerned he said that 'the insurance company would have to pay up a lot more if you were bitten by a rabied dog or contracted yellow fever'. He just suggested that I phone up the medical group's finance department and ask for the 'billing codes' and then speak with the insurance company.

I spent ages on the phone trying to get the codes.....and after contacting United Healthcare, again taking ages due to being passed from pillar to post I was finally told by one of their reps that I was covered after all (less co-pay) for the vaccinations. What a palaver it was

I also remember trying to get travel insurance.....in the UK it is so easy, you can get cover through a supermarket, bank or Post Office....OTOH in the US not only did it take more research to even find medical insurers (whom I think normally tend to deal almost exclusively with cruise ship passengers) but they also wanted in detail my medical history. I'd never had any medical problems (I couldn't see the point in listing Caesarian Sections many years before) but out of frustration I ended up taking travel insurance with a UK broker which dealt with non-UK residents.

Btw O/P: I've just had a bill for 9 x 30 mins of physiotherapy for Plantar Fasciitis (painful heel) here in Switzerland. The cost was CHF 470 (US$ 521) and as seems to be the custom here they take many weeks to send medical bills after any treatment or medication is dispensed, so different to the USA! I pay this bill then send it to BUPA International in Brighton for re-imbursement and they take off 10% for admin - although for expensive treatment and hospital in-patients they will arrange to pay directly.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was recently recommended for PT, so a therapist comes out and suggests some exercises. Then, lo and behold a nurse comes out to take her blood pressure and pulse. This happens twice a week for 2 weeks. This is apparently going to last for 2 months, before my wife decides it is an absolute waste of money, and tells them not to come back.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that when I broken my left forearm last spring, I had to go to PT twice a week for over eight weeks. Other than my co-payment, I didn't receive a bill for anything for all those sessions. The Therapy Group took whatever my healthcare paid as payment in full.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I also remember trying to get travel insurance.....in the UK it is so easy, you can get cover through a supermarket, bank or Post Office....OTOH in the US not only did it take more research to even find medical insurers (whom I think normally tend to deal almost exclusively with cruise ship passengers) but they also wanted in detail my medical history. I'd never had any medical problems (I couldn't see the point in listing Caesarian Sections many years before) but out of frustration I ended up taking travel insurance with a UK broker which dealt with non-UK residents.
How odd. I bought travel insurance online for my family really easily a few months ago. I didn't have to list any medical history, and the website listed loads of different providers to choose from.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We took DS to see his new pediatrician today (choice of exactly two in the area). Car park overflowing, despite the narrowest spaces I've ever seen, with several spaces just wasted by people not able to park between the lines. Waiting room was heaving at 9:45am (10am appointment). Finally seen at 12:15pm for a total of approximately 3 minutes. Then spent 50 minutes in CVS waiting for the pharmacist to mix some powder with some water.

Separately phoned my doctor only to be told he doesn't work Fridays. "Any other options," I ask. "Call Monday?".

All is forgiven, Kaiser P and the NHS.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We took DS to see his new pediatrician today (choice of exactly two in the area). Car park overflowing, despite the narrowest spaces I've ever seen, with several spaces just wasted by people not able to park between the lines. Waiting room was heaving at 9:45am (10am appointment). Finally seen at 12:15pm for a total of approximately 3 minutes. Then spent 50 minutes in CVS waiting for the pharmacist to mix some powder with some water.

Separately phoned my doctor only to be told he doesn't work Fridays. "Any other options," I ask. "Call Monday?".

All is forgiven, Kaiser P and the NHS.
I've been in CVS on both coasts, stay away
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I've been in CVS on both coasts, stay away
Guess it depends on location. We have had excellent service from our local CVS, where one of the pharmacists is a lass from Scotland. I wouldn't use Walgreens if they were next door, from my experience with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.