Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eyeglasses - difficulty getting a 'workable' prescription

Eyeglasses - difficulty getting a 'workable' prescription

Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eyeglasses - difficulty getting a 'workable' prescription

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I can see in the distance TODAY with glasses that were prescribed as reading glasses 3-5 years ago. In reviewing all my past prescriptions, I noticed that the 'reading' prescription and the 'distance' prescription differed only in the magnitude of the 'Sphere' numbers (no change in 'Cyl' and 'Axis'), and with each successive year (or two) the numbers both increased in step. In fact, some prescriptions handle the 'reading' prescription by simply having a column 'Add' (add this amount for the reading glasses).

I should possibly add, what I'm calling 'reading' casually here, were actually requested as 'computer' glasses. I believe 'computer' glasses get less magnification relative to classic 'reading' prescriptions.
Maybe more like the middle section of the varifocals.

Sorry no ideas on the problem. I wear varifocals and they seem OK, I just had to get used to moving my head to find the right part of the lenses, and be careful on stairs.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
. I wear varifocals and they seem OK, I just had to get used to moving my head to find the right part of the lenses, and be careful on stairs.
Me too. And kerbs can catch me out, which can be embarrassing.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are also sensitive to (some term/concept I can't describe right now, would have to research it) that relates to the curvature of the lens. Basically, as you look through the lens, your eye is affected by the 'offset' when looking anywhere but straight ahead. Some sports people have wrap-around lenses, where the entire lens is curved, so that at any point, your eye is looking through the lens at 90 degrees to the surface. I forget what the jargon is for this but worth looking into perhaps.
That is my issue I think....and those Oakleys, the prescription lenses for the basic lens start at $450 for the frame I was looking at

I'm still on the look out for something not so mental that has vented lenses for mountain biking. The other frames I've seen, the lenses either rest heavy on the cheek bone, or the arms bow out a bit and aren't comfortable with a helmet on...and anything to thick or close to the cheek is waiting to get smashed when the inevitable bail happens
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I've always had this problem to a degree - I need glasses for distance vision, but I've also got slight astigmatism and I've been told that a degree of my short-sightedness is not due to the eye/lens itself, but the muscles that hold and shape my eyes. I've never had a consistent prescription, it's always changed between check-ups - my eyes get worse if I do a lot of close work (studying/computers) and better if I'm out and about looking over long distances. Add in opticians that like to prescribe lenses that take my eyes to 40:20, then I really struggle.

What I've found the worst is when my eyes are not corrected equally. My current glasses are pretty much perfect for my left eye, but over-correct my right eye, and that imbalance can give me a headache at the end of a long day. And these glasses took a couple of goes to get right at the optician - and to be fair, if my eyes can give different readings on different days, then getting a correct prescription is always going to have an element of luck.
My eyes are quite different, unfortunately, and I'm sure that has a bearing on the issue. One is quite bad (Right), the other not so bad.

From 2013:
Code:
             Sphere   Cyl     Axis
OD (Right)    2.5       1.00    165
OS (Left)     1.5       1.25     20
Difference was greater, in the past (2 units different on the 'sphere' 15 years ago, now only 1)
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:36 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My eyes are quite different, unfortunately, and I'm sure that has a bearing on the issue. One is quite bad (Right), the other not so bad.

From 2013:
Code:
             Sphere   Cyl     Axis
OD (Right)    2.5       1.00    165
OS (Left)     1.5       1.25     20
Difference was greater, in the past (2 units different on the 'sphere' 15 years ago, now only 1)
Try again, it posted before I was ready!

I have a -6.25 on the right eye sphere, and a -0.25 on the left -- a really crazy difference! I wear a -5.50 lens in my right eye only and that works perfectly.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:40 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Me too. And kerbs can catch me out, which can be embarrassing.
I just took on bifocals and am seeing things on the periphery (briefly) that just aren't there, and turning to look behind for traffic while crossing the road takes a little concentration. Curbs are OK but stairs.. that's what handrails are for.