Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Coming To My Back Yard !

Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Coming To My Back Yard !

Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Coming To My Back Yard !

Originally Posted by chartreuse
There was a great story out of France a few years ago, about that. This lawyer did some deal with a little old lady, where he gave her a bunch of money in exchange for her house when she died. She lived to an incredible age and he died of old age first.

That is true karma
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Its been the talk of the city the past week.The house is only 2 blocks up from where i live so i was very exited at first that something this big was coming to my neck of the woods.
What do you lot think ??
If that's the most exciting thing happening in your city, I think I would move... based on the fact that the older woman might stay in the house longer - I don't think there's anything wrong with that...there's a few cases where they did makeovers for younger people and they ended up losing the house anyway
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just wondering just how substantial the house makeovers are. Sure they have plenty of tradesmen in to do the job, but given the short amount of time given to do the whole thing are corners cut on the quality etc? Are the tiles about to fall off the wall, are door handles going to come off in your hand?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit poo really....be nice if they also paid property taxes too...

Out where we lived in Maine there was one done, and one a couple towns over here a couple summers ago. Families weren't able to stay for long once property taxes were adjusted etc.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She will be dead in 20 or so years.
And you might be in 20 minutes.

Granny is telling you to grow up you little squirt and have some respect for age and experience. If you are damn lucky one day you might be signed up for AARP.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:11 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Well Thursday it all came to an end finally when Tye and the rest of his crew came up the road and revealed the house to the women. I went up there later in the afternoon after my dentist appointment.

The road leading up the the house was barricaded on both sides along the whole block. A small road which is was perpendicular and connects to the the street the house was on was also blocked off. It lead about 30 meters up where trailers were for the EMHD people. Luckily one of my relatives owns a barbershop on the corner of the street so me and my mum could stand on the side of this street in his garden. We saw the guy with the glasses and Tye walk bye 2 times, they were only a few feet away from us.

After around 2 hours of waiting they finally moved the bus and revealed the house. They were trying to get the crown worked up and chanting "move that house" but nobody seemed to want to do it. One part of the crowd would start and the other would stop. It was pathetic. I'm sure they are going to edit it and make it seem like everybody was going ape shit though.

My mum got this pic of Tye using her crappy phone

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...543ajpg-21.jpg

Nothing special but at least i can say to my mates i was there to see it, got me out of the house too.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning on it and waving my ITFC shirt but turns out that you have to pay $10 just to stand in the crowd and scream !
it's a public street.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:15 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
it's a public street.
Yea it turns out that you have to pay $10 to go in the house and tour it. They also had hats and T shirts on sale.
Sorry for the bad info
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

She will be dead in 20 or so years. I thought they would of built a house for a family with kids that needed it more although i did hear she runs some sort of club for kids on the bottom floor. Maybe that's the reason why they picked her
At the age of 70, it's quite possible that she's had many years to make a profound impact on her community, and many would like to show their appreciation.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

She will be dead in 20 or so years. I thought they would of built a house for a family with kids that needed it more although i did hear she runs some sort of club for kids on the bottom floor. Maybe that's the reason why they picked her
Just like the old woman who lived in a shoe. Maybe the makeover will be a giant Doc Marten?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a bit poo really....be nice if they also paid property taxes too...

Out where we lived in Maine there was one done, and one a couple towns over here a couple summers ago. Families weren't able to stay for long once property taxes were adjusted etc.
I'm always wondering whether they think about the bills, heating a house twice the size of the original one could cost a fortune.
On the flipside I wonder how many of them flog their brand new house for big bucks and go and buy something more modest.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I'm always wondering whether they think about the bills, heating a house twice the size of the original one could cost a fortune.
On the flipside I wonder how many of them flog their brand new house for big bucks and go and buy something more modest.
the property tax and cost of oil was the case in Maine...but houses, even big ones aren't worth that much out there outside of say Portland and there wasn't any more land than anywhere else. I think all the person could afford was another small plot of land and a new trailer type of thing after paying the taxes and costs for selling etc.

I don't know all the details on that one, but they ended up in a worse state than before the help a couple years later basically.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:23 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea it turns out that you have to pay $10 to go in the house and tour it. They also had hats and T shirts on sale.
Sorry for the bad info
If you pay an extra $20, do you think they'd let you punch Ty Pennigton?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
There was a great story out of France a few years ago, about that. This lawyer did some deal with a little old lady, where he gave her a bunch of money in exchange for her house when she died. She lived to an incredible age and he died of old age first.
Yes, actually it's an arrangement in France called something like "rent for life". The buyer pays the seller a monthly payment untl he/she dies, after which the buyer gets the house (so if the seller dies the following month, the buyer gets it after one month's payment). In the meantime, the seller gets to stay in the house.

The woman in this case was about 90-odd, and the guy was in his 40's. She lived in her flat for about another 30 years, by which time he had paid an absolute fortune and then died before she did. His wife had to continue the oayments by law. I think the woman's name was Jeanne Calment (I used to use this story as an example in a class on ageing that I taught). If I can find the slide, I'll post the details.

Last edited by dunroving; Jul 8th 2009 at 7:30 am. Reason: Jean/Jeanne, my French teacher would correct me
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
If you pay an extra $20, do you think they'd let you punch Ty Pennigton?
I wish