Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Events and happens of the little ones and youngsters.

Events and happens of the little ones and youngsters.

Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Events and happens of the little ones and youngsters.

Originally Posted by kins
My 13yo daughter is 5'11. I'm 5'7 and she smiles tolerantly at me while looking down at me.

I've never thought of myself as short before...
You're not, you're actually 2" above the average female height in the US.

I'm bang on average for the UK, but 1" shorter than average out here. Probably more like 0.5", but I'm not so vain that I have to round up my height to make myself feel better
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You're not, you're actually 2" above the average female height in the US. .....
But she might be rather less above average if you exclude the substantial Hispanic and Asian minorities.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But she might be rather less above average if you exclude the substantial Hispanic and Asian minorities.
If they're resident, surely they count? That being said, I am not sure exactly what effect they have though, my wife is 5'7" and she seems to be above average based on my non-scientific, anecdotal observation.

I wonder what the effect would be on the male average though - it does seem like most people are taller than me, except for most of the Hispanics at work
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If they're resident, surely they count? ....
They "count" on a national average basis, but statistically speaking it is meaningless to average across different groups. If you average sheep and elephants it doesn't really provide any useful information to conclude that elephants have less wool than average.
..... it does seem like most people are taller than me, except for most of the Hispanics at work. ....
Which kinda proves my point.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

They "count" on a national average basis, but statistically speaking it is meaningless to average across different groups. If you average sheep and elephants it doesn't really provide any useful information to conclude that elephants have less wool than average.
It's not quite the same though, it isn't like they're a different species. If the goal is to produce a bell curve of average heights of people that live in a given place, then ethnicity shouldn't really come into it. You can drill down into 'height by ethnicity' if that's what is required but for 'Average heights in the US', including everyone is perfectly valid.

Which kinda proves my point.
Again, though, not really. Yes on average Asians and Hispanics are shorter than Africans or Europeans, but there are taller Hispanics than me, and shorter white and black men that I have encountered as well.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:22 pm

It's not quite the same though, it isn't like they're a different species. If the goal is to produce a bell curve of average heights of people that live in a given place, then ethnicity shouldn't really come into it. You can drill down into 'height by ethnicity' if that's what is required but for 'Average heights in the US', including everyone is perfectly valid. .....
If you went to live in China you would suddenly become of above average height, but it would tell us nothing new about you, nor change anything about you, your health, or anything else. Comparing you to the average for white males from the UK (or of white males of NW European ancestry), could tell us all sorts of things about your medical history and future risk of illness and disease.

Such erroneous comparisons to averages have in recent years proved to have done the black US population no favours because they seem to have a greater risk of diabetes and heart disease. So comparing their blood sugar and collesterol to the national avergae appears to have been mistake, leading to wrong prognoses and inadequate medical attention.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

If you went to live in China you would suddenly become of above average height, but it would tell us nothing new about you, nor change anything about you, your health, or anything else.
Is that not just because average height is, when all's said and done, pretty irrelevant?

Such erroneous comparisons to averages have in recent years proved to have done the black US population no favours because they seem to have a greater risk of diabetes and heart disease. So comparing their blood sugar and collesterol to the national avergae appears to have been mistake, leading to wrong prognoses and inadequate medical attention.
Things like that do seem to be a bit more important than height, to be honest. Though often medicine should focus more on the individual than averages anyway, they are after all only a guide.

Jesus, this is reminding me how much I hate statistics
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also 5'7 so statistically does that make me average for females or spouses of males posting on this thread ?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:07 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I am also 5'7" and my husband is not yet posting in this thread.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:18 pm

Is that not just because average height is, when all's said and done, pretty irrelevant? ......
Which was pretty much my point.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Though often medicine should focus more on the individual than averages anyway, they are after all only a guide.
There are different health limits for men and women when it comes to alcohol. For medication, no one seems too bothered. I'm sure that some bigger people take extra non-prescription stuff anyway - I'm small for a man but bigger than the average woman so I am probably closer to the average person but who knows what size person the dosage is meant for.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get what this thread is about?

My Kid is taller than the waitress?

Has your kid done anything special other than that?

Should I post my kids accomplishments or just their height?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
I don't get what this thread is about?

My Kid is taller than the waitress? .....
That was supposed to be a one off thought, and I (had) intend (ed) to post other ad hoc happenings and events of my daughter, and thought others might be prompted to post about their own families. But in the best tradition of BE the thread developed a life of its own.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 8:14 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I went from being 5'5" to 5'8" in the space of a year when I was 14. I still remember me and my brother getting stretch marks on the back of our knees from growing so much. The school nurse told me I probably wouldn't grow any more....I was still growing at 19 and ended up being 5'10"
Being tall is great, until you try and buy clothes and fit into plane seats.
Old Jun 7th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard from DD that GS has come 2nd in his class for almost everything, and he is only 5 1/2, and he is doing really well in his swimming class. Only sad that I can't give him a hug as they live so far away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.