Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

EU official: IP is personal

EU official: IP is personal

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post EU official: IP is personal

BRUSSELS, Belgium - IP addresses, string of numbers that identify computers on the Internet, should generally be regarded as personal information, the head of the European Union's group of data privacy regulators said Monday.

protection commissioner, Peter Scharr, leads the EU group preparing a report on how well the privacy policies of Internet search engines operated by Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., Microsoft Corp. and others comply with EU privacy law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/...line_privacy_4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.U. privacy experts say that your individual I.P. address should be regarded as personal information protected by EU Law. I am not sure law enforcement would agree when they try to follow your movements on the internet.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU official: IP is personal

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
BRUSSELS, Belgium - IP addresses, string of numbers that identify computers on the Internet, should generally be regarded as personal information, the head of the European Union's group of data privacy regulators said Monday.

protection commissioner, Peter Scharr, leads the EU group preparing a report on how well the privacy policies of Internet search engines operated by Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., Microsoft Corp. and others comply with EU privacy law.

E.U. privacy experts say that your individual I.P. address should be regarded as personal information protected by EU Law. I am not sure law enforcement would agree when they try to follow your movements on the internet.
Such a waste of time. IP addresses are dynamic in nature anyway and can be spoofed. Hell, I can have an address from Tokyo if I wanted to fool them via an anonymizer. They should pay more attention to MAC addresses. Those never change despite there being logical methods of changing it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:44 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Such a waste of time. IP addresses are dynamic in nature anyway and can be spoofed. Hell, I can have an address from Tokyo if I wanted to fool them via an anonymizer. They should pay more attention to MAC addresses. Those never change despite there being logical methods of changing it.
You can change mac addresses too (as I can see you know) but MAC addresses are only really usefull on the local subnet, the original host MAC address does not get transmitted in the IP packet.

IP adresses dymanic in nature? Hummm, well from an end user perspective I guess you could say that but if you were tracking information from companies servers definatly not.

Last edited by ex_exile; Jan 21st 2008 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:48 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
You can change mac addresses too
I know you can but most don't think about that judging on how much importance this proposition has placed on just the IP address. It just makes me wonder you know.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:55 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with that. They can be used to identify users. Sure they can be spoofed, but lots of information can also be forged.

Many users have static IP addresses. I don't want Yahoo using the fact that I looked at Toyota's sales web site 20 times last month to start pushing me adverts for car loans :curse:

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049

Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:05 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Your computer hacker skills are hot.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:08 pm

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I agree with that. They can be used to identify users. Sure they can be spoofed, but lots of information can also be forged.

Many users have static IP addresses. I don't want Yahoo using the fact that I looked at Toyota's sales web site 20 times last month to start pushing me adverts for car loans :curse:
You'd be surprised how much privacy infomation is already given under European law, and that global companies are obliged to conform with EU data protection standard for all infomation collected in the EU*. I think they are just making clear that IP's are covered by existing statutes.

* The question is of course did they collect the infomstion from you in Europe or did you give the infomation to their servers in Bermuda.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:14 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Your computer hacker skills are hot.
Gosh I wish I could hack. That would be such a cool thing to do, that's if I knew how to get away with it. I actually want to learn how to for government agencies in order to track down nefarious activity on the net, also known as a white hat hacker. Using an anonymizer is not hacking. Just hiding your surfing patterns for a bit. It's a great tool, however there are drawbacks with using an anonymizer. For one, it slows down browsing because of all the hoops and hurdles packets have to go through in order to hide it's source. Second are the DNS requests that are made at times that give it's requester away. So it's not all what it's cracked out to be. Usually it's used temporarily used for top secret communication and searching bit torrent sites. Am I making you hotter?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:24 pm

Gosh I wish I could hack. That would be such a cool thing to do

<------->

Am I making you hotter?
Now if you could you just subnet in IPv6 you'd be the perfect woman
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:28 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Am I making you hotter?
Excuse me while I turn the thermostat down.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:29 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Now if you could you just subnet in IPv6 you'd be the perfect woman
I have enough problems subnetting a 32bit address. You want me to subnet a 128bit one??? You've got to be out of your f***ing mind. If you wanna talk about CIDR then let's party. In the meantime I'll be a smart woman and let an IPv6 subnetting calculator do my work. This woman has her hair and make-up to do.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:59 pm
Militant Ginger

I have enough problems subnetting a 32bit address. You want me to subnet a 128bit one??? You've got to be out of your f***ing mind. If you wanna talk about CIDR then let's party. In the meantime I'll be a smart woman and let an IPv6 subnetting calculator do my work. This woman has her hair and make-up to do.
Yeah, I have no idea what you just said, but it was hot.