British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   EU official: IP is personal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/eu-official-ip-personal-508021/)

kingfisher241049 Jan 21st 2008 8:22 pm

EU official: IP is personal

BRUSSELS, Belgium - IP addresses, string of numbers that identify computers on the Internet, should generally be regarded as personal information, the head of the European Union's group of data privacy regulators said Monday.

protection commissioner, Peter Scharr, leads the EU group preparing a report on how well the privacy policies of Internet search engines operated by Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., Microsoft Corp. and others comply with EU privacy law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/...line_privacy_4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.U. privacy experts say that your individual I.P. address should be regarded as personal information protected by EU Law. I am not sure law enforcement would agree when they try to follow your movements on the internet.

ugacrew Jan 21st 2008 8:33 pm

Re: EU official: IP is personal

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5820338)
BRUSSELS, Belgium - IP addresses, string of numbers that identify computers on the Internet, should generally be regarded as personal information, the head of the European Union's group of data privacy regulators said Monday.

protection commissioner, Peter Scharr, leads the EU group preparing a report on how well the privacy policies of Internet search engines operated by Google Inc., Yahoo Inc., Microsoft Corp. and others comply with EU privacy law.

E.U. privacy experts say that your individual I.P. address should be regarded as personal information protected by EU Law. I am not sure law enforcement would agree when they try to follow your movements on the internet.

Such a waste of time. IP addresses are dynamic in nature anyway and can be spoofed. Hell, I can have an address from Tokyo if I wanted to fool them via an anonymizer. They should pay more attention to MAC addresses. Those never change despite there being logical methods of changing it.

ex_exile Jan 21st 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5820390)
Such a waste of time. IP addresses are dynamic in nature anyway and can be spoofed. Hell, I can have an address from Tokyo if I wanted to fool them via an anonymizer. They should pay more attention to MAC addresses. Those never change despite there being logical methods of changing it.

You can change mac addresses too (as I can see you know) but MAC addresses are only really usefull on the local subnet, the original host MAC address does not get transmitted in the IP packet.

IP adresses dymanic in nature? Hummm, well from an end user perspective I guess you could say that but if you were tracking information from companies servers definatly not.

ugacrew Jan 21st 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 5820444)
You can change mac addresses too

I know you can but most don't think about that judging on how much importance this proposition has placed on just the IP address. It just makes me wonder you know.

Pony Jan 21st 2008 8:55 pm

I agree with that. They can be used to identify users. Sure they can be spoofed, but lots of information can also be forged.

Many users have static IP addresses. I don't want Yahoo using the fact that I looked at Toyota's sales web site 20 times last month to start pushing me adverts for car loans :curse:

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049 (Post 5820338)

Roland Hulme Jan 21st 2008 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5820390)

Your computer hacker skills are hot. :wub:

ex_exile Jan 21st 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 5820494)
I agree with that. They can be used to identify users. Sure they can be spoofed, but lots of information can also be forged.

Many users have static IP addresses. I don't want Yahoo using the fact that I looked at Toyota's sales web site 20 times last month to start pushing me adverts for car loans :curse:

You'd be surprised how much privacy infomation is already given under European law, and that global companies are obliged to conform with EU data protection standard for all infomation collected in the EU*. I think they are just making clear that IP's are covered by existing statutes.

* The question is of course did they collect the infomstion from you in Europe or did you give the infomation to their servers in Bermuda.

ugacrew Jan 21st 2008 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 5820538)
Your computer hacker skills are hot. :wub:

Gosh I wish I could hack. That would be such a cool thing to do, that's if I knew how to get away with it. I actually want to learn how to for government agencies in order to track down nefarious activity on the net, also known as a white hat hacker. Using an anonymizer is not hacking. Just hiding your surfing patterns for a bit. It's a great tool, however there are drawbacks with using an anonymizer. For one, it slows down browsing because of all the hoops and hurdles packets have to go through in order to hide it's source. Second are the DNS requests that are made at times that give it's requester away. So it's not all what it's cracked out to be. Usually it's used temporarily used for top secret communication and searching bit torrent sites. Am I making you hotter?;)

ex_exile Jan 21st 2008 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5820589)
Gosh I wish I could hack. That would be such a cool thing to do

<------->

Am I making you hotter?;)

Now if you could you just subnet in IPv6 you'd be the perfect woman :rofl:

Roland Hulme Jan 21st 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5820589)
Am I making you hotter?;)

Excuse me while I turn the thermostat down.:wub::cool:

ugacrew Jan 21st 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 5820648)
Now if you could you just subnet in IPv6 you'd be the perfect woman :rofl:

I have enough problems subnetting a 32bit address. You want me to subnet a 128bit one??? You've got to be out of your f***ing mind:D. If you wanna talk about CIDR then let's party. In the meantime I'll be a smart woman and let an IPv6 subnetting calculator do my work. This woman has her hair and make-up to do.:D

Roland Hulme Jan 21st 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5820680)
I have enough problems subnetting a 32bit address. You want me to subnet a 128bit one??? You've got to be out of your f***ing mind:D. If you wanna talk about CIDR then let's party. In the meantime I'll be a smart woman and let an IPv6 subnetting calculator do my work. This woman has her hair and make-up to do.:D

Yeah, I have no idea what you just said, but it was hot. :wub: