Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Enjoying the winter storms?

Enjoying the winter storms?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Enjoying the winter storms?

An old timer in my neighborhood asked me the above this morning.... I replied that I'd been warned over & over about the winter storms hereabouts, but this was the first year I'd really comprehended what all the fuss is about.

Trees are down everywhere in our area. This past weekend a few out-of-the-way streets were finally cleared of trees down in the previous 2 storms, & power fully restored there. At our house, we've lost power twice and are fairly sure we'll lose it again tomorrow sometime....

The second meeting of a book club I've recently joined has been postponed twice already, and since it's set to meet tomorrow night I believe it'll be postponed again. The husband & I have had several mid-week March appointments similarly shifted into the future.

And I can't forget the wonderful exercise we get shoveling heavy wet snow/ice, not to mention all the chopping of wood for the woodstove we're VERY grateful we have!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enjoying the winter storms?

Yeah it's wicked bad - considering its spring!

Up here in the north country, we are getting colder temps than you, but no storms. (Or, much less severe.) Minus five last night and the night before. Normal for January & February, but not late March!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically, my 'memories' on FB called up this post from March 20, 2015

Today is the first day of Spring and we are having a bit of snow here just outside of New York City. Depending on which forecaster you listen to, we will get between 1" and 2" or 4" and 6". Should we just find the mean measurement of 3 and call it a day? Wonder if they will be marching on McLean tomorrow?

(Reference to the St. Patrick's Day Parade)
Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We are very happy not to have lost power yet this winter -- even though people around town were out for over a week after one of the storms (I'm losing track, think it was two storms ago!) took out trees all over. Seems as if, for us anyway, the power company's aggressive pruning policy is starting to work. It has certainly not been the snowiest winter we've had by any means, but the few falls have all been big ones. We are so glad we put in the second oil tank a few years ago after running out of fuel when the snows were really bad. At least we can now keep warm when the tanker can't get to us . . . as long as the power stays on.

The arborist was able to come today and remove the broken half of a big tree that has been waving around, hung up in the treetops, since a December storm. Every time the wind blew it would tilt in another direction -- and was within the dogs' fenced area. I hate losing trees, but each time one gets destroyed, it opens up the view a little more, so swings and roundabouts . . .

Hope it isn't another bad one tomorrow, WEBlue.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:30 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah it's wicked bad - considering its spring!

Up here in the north country, we are getting colder temps than you, but no storms. (Or, much less severe.) Minus five last night and the night before. Normal for January & February, but not late March!
Our problem lately is that the temps stay too warm here when these storms come barreling through. So the snow that falls is heavy & wet, yet layered with ice. It's so icy/slushy that the weight of a shovelful threatens to break my favourite lightweight plastic snow shovel, yet I can barely lift the heavier metal snow shovel....

Last two winters, we had nice cold snow that was light & fluffy. No problem at all to shovel when the temperature is down below 20F.

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 20th 2018 at 8:34 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got off the phone with my boss who is in Burlington MA, he seemed pretty happy they hadn't lost power yet this winter but said "this one coming in may change our lucky streak!".

Hopefully everyone is staying safe!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Our problem lately is that the temps stay too warm here when these storms come barreling through. So the snow that falls is heavy & wet, yet layered with ice. It's so icy/slushy that the weight of a shovelful threatens to break my favourite lightweight plastic snow shovel, yet I can barely lift the heavier metal snow shovel....

Last two winters, we had nice cold snow that was light & fluffy. No problem at all to shovel when the temperature is down below 20F.
Very true, and roads are much safer when it's thirty or forty degrees below freezing, too (nice and dry.)
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by BenK91
Just got off the phone with my boss who is in Burlington MA, he seemed pretty happy they hadn't lost power yet this winter but said "this one coming in may change our lucky streak!".

Hopefully everyone is staying safe!
I have family in Burlington MA, they've lost power a couple of times so far, but only for twelve hours or so each time.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:07 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Rete
Ironically, my 'memories' on FB called up this post from March 20, 2015

Today is the first day of Spring and we are having a bit of snow here just outside of New York City. Depending on which forecaster you listen to, we will get between 1" and 2" or 4" and 6". Should we just find the mean measurement of 3 and call it a day? Wonder if they will be marching on McLean tomorrow?

(Reference to the St. Patrick's Day Parade)
I don't remember March 2015 as being so bad up this way...but there was a memorable Nor'easter in early March 2013 that I recall vividly because we were camping out in this very house, for which we'd just signed the purchase papers. The storm raged for two (?) days, IIRC, and dumped a good 10+ inches of light, pleasant snowfall on us, which we somehow handled easily & with much merriment. The power went out a few times, but only for an hour or so each time.

It all seemed such a great adventure then! We'd never seen that much real snow, and because we had camping gear to use inside the house (gas lanterns & stove, air mattresses with lots of duvets) we were fine even during the short power outages.

Not so much fun now when the power is off for days, and the snow is that heavy horrible soaking kind, and the winds swing the trees so violently that they creak....
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Ah I remember the Blizzard of 1978. We lived in Somerville, Massachusetts at the time. Two weeks off work with pay We were hunkered down at home listening to Christine Sweet on WGBH Radio. I think she was there, running the radio station on her own, for three days before anyone else could get in to spell her.

National Guard were stationed at intersections to enforce the no driving order. Forty inches of snow, some of the drifts were prodigious. Happy days!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:41 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
We are very happy not to have lost power yet this winter -- even though people around town were out for over a week after one of the storms (I'm losing track, think it was two storms ago!) took out trees all over. Seems as if, for us anyway, the power company's aggressive pruning policy is starting to work. It has certainly not been the snowiest winter we've had by any means, but the few falls have all been big ones. We are so glad we put in the second oil tank a few years ago after running out of fuel when the snows were really bad. At least we can now keep warm when the tanker can't get to us . . . as long as the power stays on.
Good idea to get a second tank! We know some here whose access roads were blocked with downed trees, or in one case massive coastal flooding, and running out of fuel.

We have natural gas heating, so don't have to worry about oil deliveries, but either system still needs power to work it.... Luckily we have a rather ugly but very functional wood stove in the lounge that can keep the whole house bearably non-freezing if we choose to stoke it round the clock.

The arborist was able to come today and remove the broken half of a big tree that has been waving around, hung up in the treetops, since a December storm. Every time the wind blew it would tilt in another direction -- and was within the dogs' fenced area. I hate losing trees, but each time one gets destroyed, it opens up the view a little more, so swings and roundabouts . . .
Glad the dogs are safe (for a while)!
Yes, I've come to realize that in this (Eastern) part of the country these nasty wind storms act to "cull" out the dead and weaker trees, just as the wildfires do in the West.

I posted a thread a while back on how annoyed I was that our next door neighbor cut down two trees on the property line between us, one a giant, diseased Maple tree (which to be frank needed to come down) and a perfectly healthy but massive holly tree that the husband & I quite liked. Now--just months later--I'm rethinking the whole matter. Perhaps we need to thank her for generously handling the cost of that (...even if the holly tree was ours, not hers).

Hope it isn't another bad one tomorrow, WEBlue.
Yes, me too! Hope all of us in this Nor'easter's path can come through unscathed.

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 20th 2018 at 9:49 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was visiting Ottawa during the ice storm of 1998 so I know what it is like to be in a freezing home without heat or lights for nearly 36 hours. Not fun, especially with an electric stove and no fireplace.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:14 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ah I remember the Blizzard of 1978. We lived in Somerville, Massachusetts at the time. Two weeks off work with pay We were hunkered down at home listening to Christine Sweet on WGBH Radio. I think she was there, running the radio station on her own, for three days before anyone else could get in to spell her.

National Guard were stationed at intersections to enforce the no driving order. Forty inches of snow, some of the drifts were prodigious. Happy days!
Whoa! 40 inches!! Puts our puny predictions of 3-12 inches into perpective....
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:27 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Rete
I was visiting Ottawa during the ice storm of 1998 so I know what it is like to be in a freezing home without heat or lights for nearly 36 hours. Not fun, especially with an electric stove and no fireplace.
Yes, it's amazing how fast these North American houses cool down once the heat is off....

We have our "storm supplies" squirrelled away. Candles & matches in a plastic ziploc in one cupboard, battery radio with extra batteries in a kitchen drawer, camping gear all together in an accessible corner of the garage. And --most important, in those first few minutes after the power goes out!-- a flashlight in almost every room, one or two of which will still have working batteries...with luck. And last but not least a decent supply of all kinds of batteries.

We have a fireplace as well as a woodstove, but the woodstove works so much better than the fireplace to heat up the house. And to think we at first turned our noses up at this "ugly" stove; now we love it.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:31 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is one of the easiest winters I have had (snow wise) for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.