Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

An eloquent black chef speaks about history and the heritage of slavery

An eloquent black chef speaks about history and the heritage of slavery

Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default An eloquent black chef speaks about history and the heritage of slavery

I thought this was a good article.
https://afroculinaria.com/2019/08/09...tors-sit-down/
hhttps://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1160530235080740864?s=20ttps://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1160530235080740864?s=20
Old Aug 16th 2019, 10:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An eloquent black chef speaks about history and the heritage of slavery

Originally Posted by caretaker
I thought this was a good article.
https://afroculinaria.com/2019/08/09...tors-sit-down/
hhttps://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1160530235080740864?s=20ttps://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1160530235080740864?s=20
​​​​​​
A very well-expressed thought. There are some folks who inhabit TIO who need to grasp it.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 12:02 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An eloquent black chef speaks about history and the heritage of slavery

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
​​​​​​
A very well-expressed thought. There are some folks who inhabit TIO who need to grasp it.
Well you can see the issue there....

It is very well written, thank you for sharing
Old Aug 16th 2019, 12:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

Well you can see the issue there....

It is very well written, thank you for sharing

So many people who have never lived in the US fail to understand how raw and recent this all is, and the ongoing effects in US culture and society as a whole. This lack of knowledge in turn cultivates a huge empathy failure.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So many people who have never lived in the US fail to understand how raw and recent this all is, and the ongoing effects in US culture and society as a whole. This lack of knowledge in turn cultivates a huge empathy failure.
Tbh, I find it's all too easy to remain unaware while living here as well. I guess it depends where you live and what colour you are, but I find I have to go out of my way. And when I do, I still find it amazingly difficult to conceptualize that so much trauma happened in living memory.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by retzie
Tbh, I find it's all too easy to remain unaware while living here as well. I guess it depends where you live and what colour you are, but I find I have to go out of my way. And when I do, I still find it amazingly difficult to conceptualize that so much trauma happened in living memory.
Agreed. I work for a non-profit whose facilities were only desegregrated in 1968. It's astonishing when I think of my childhood in London happening at the same time and what that was like.

OH went on a tour of a southern plantation in the 90s, and the tour guide pointed out the "workers' accommodations" and wasn't at all happy when OH said "you mean the slave huts".
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 7:05 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

To me, touring a plantation is akin to touring a concentration camp. It's a solemn occasion, meant to reflect on the our shared history and attempt to better understand how this history is reflected today. The behavior this article discusses is obviously disgusting and ignorant, but I agree with some above that it's hardly surprising.