Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"Einstein's Riddle" - Can you solve it?

"Einstein's Riddle" - Can you solve it?

Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:37 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Einstein's Riddle" - Can you solve it?

This riddle (which probably has nothing to do with Einstein) has been floating around the interwebs over the last few days. Articles are claiming that only 2% of people solve this, although I have my doubts that anyone could possibly know that.

I figured it out with some work. It takes more than a minute, but it's manageable:

There are five houses in five different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:

1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

The question is: who owns the fish?

Here are some hints for solving this:

Spoiler:
It helps to create a spreadsheet/grid with each of the possible categories (Brit, Dane, coffee, beer, etc.) listed individually on the left and the relative position of the houses (#1-5) at the heads of the columns.

Spoiler:
If your experience is like mine, then you'll have to work through every single item before getting to the answer -- there won't be a Eureka! shortcut in the middle of it.

Spoiler:
Start with the Norwegian.

Have fun. You can Google the answer, of course, but I'll provide it later if you'd like.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Sep 12th 2015 at 8:42 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Einstein's Riddle" - Can you solve it?

I think I got it, though 'on the immediate left' got me asking questions.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 9:09 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd like, you can PM your answer to me, and I'll let you know privately whether or not you got it.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:06 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the 2% claim is pre or post the mainstream publication of sudoku? It's the same logic and reasoning.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:39 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I wonder if the 2% claim is pre or post the mainstream publication of sudoku? It's the same logic and reasoning.
Bloggers often don't bother to fact check or vet information. It's easier to repeat a claim than to verify it.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try later, but I never figure these things out..
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:46 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you step through logically it is reasonably straightforward.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is full of real problems and you worry about this ?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Or google
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Because playing a brain game makes real life problems so much worse.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:34 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Bloggers often don't bother to fact check or vet information. It's easier to repeat a claim than to verify it.
83% of all statistics on the internet are made up.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:10 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by scot47
I suppose that we could change it to make it politically relevant:

There are five houses in five different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.

How many Syrian refugees should they take in?
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:11 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by username.exe
83% of all statistics on the internet are made up.
I thought that it was about 118%.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:35 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I suppose that we could change it to make it politically relevant:

There are five houses in five different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.

How many Syrian refugees should they take in?
That depends.

Are the Syrians sending their best?
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they reals Syrians or pretend Syrians?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.