Effect and Affect

Old May 16th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effect and Affect

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I would say you have an effect on something, not an affect, except in the psychological usage mentioned above.

I have no idea, I'm still very confused. Maybe I was affected by my psychology degree
Old May 16th 2008, 10:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

spookily - i was trying to explain inquire and enquire to myself a few days ago. ie i wanted to write 'inquiring minds want to know' - but was trying to make sure i had the right one? seems to be interchangable to me when i tried to look it up on dictionary.com
Old May 16th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
spookily - i was trying to explain inquire and enquire to myself a few days ago. ie i wanted to write 'inquiring minds want to know' - but was trying to make sure i had the right one? seems to be interchangable to me when i tried to look it up on dictionary.com
When I worked in a library we had an "Inquiry Desk' and were told this was because inquiries are deeper than enquiries.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Isn't that what I wrote? That the effect of an event is what affects you?
The linked article put it simply and correctly:

"When you affect a situation, you have an effect on it."

"affect" is the verb that causes something to happen
"effect" is the noun that is the result of that something
Old May 17th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The linked article put it simply and correctly:

"When you affect a situation, you have an effect on it."

"affect" is the verb that causes something to happen
"effect" is the noun that is the result of that something
Yeah that's what I meant! I was top of the English class back in the day but try to get me to figure out what verbs and nouns are and I'm lost.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Don't agree. The thing doing something to "something else", is having an affect on it; the resulting change to the "something else", is the effect.
The correct way to say what you said would be the thing doing something to "something else", is affecting it.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:13 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Affect = have an effect on; make a difference to.

Effect = a change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause. Used to refer to the state of being or becoming operative.

---
Old May 19th 2008, 6:54 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

screw it all and use "result" and "influence" instead.