British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Earthquake reports from SF (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/earthquake-reports-sf-841641/)

Pulaski Aug 24th 2014 12:01 pm

Earthquake reports from SF

I just saw the headlines. What was your experience of "the strongest earthquake in 25 years"?

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Earthquake reports from SF

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11380097)
I just saw the headlines. What was your experience of "the strongest earthquake in 25 years"?

I hope our members living in SF are OK...Michael?

I remember there was one in the UK in the early '80s. I was getting ready one morning and the wardrobe doors started to rattle.

We had just returned from a holiday in SF when the last big earthquake hit 25 years ago.

N1cky Aug 24th 2014 2:30 pm

I've just woken up to the news. I didn't feel it, but there are a couple of Facebook friends who live in the same town as me, who say it woke them up.

Looks like there is damage to a few listed buildings in downtown Napa, which is sad, it's a lovely area. I saw photos of hundreds of smashed wine bottles, at Silver Oak winery, wonder what this will do to wine prices.

No reports of serious injuries, which is the main thing. Hopefully the aftershocks won't amount to much :fingerscrossed:

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11380194)
I've just woken up to the news. I didn't feel it, but there are a couple of Facebook friends who live in the same town as me, who say it woke them up.

Looks like there is damage to a few listed buildings in downtown Napa, which is sad, it's a lovely area. I saw photos of hundreds of smashed wine bottles, at Silver Oak winery, wonder what this will do to wine prices.

No reports of serious injuries, which is the main thing. Hopefully the aftershocks won't amount to much :fingerscrossed:

I originally put your name in my post...then edited it out because I thought you were outside the area. Glad you and your family are OK.

Sally Redux Aug 24th 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11380194)
I saw photos of hundreds of smashed wine bottles

:eek: Have you recovered?

Funstuie Aug 24th 2014 3:25 pm

It woke us up - it was like being a boat in choppy seas. Rolling effect rather than a tremor.

Doesn't seem to my damage on the peninsula and no reports of any damage outside of the napa area.

50/50 chance of aftershocks over the next week.

Lothianlad Aug 24th 2014 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11380159)

I remember there was one in the UK in the early '80s. I was getting ready one morning and the wardrobe doors started to rattle.

1984 Llŷn Peninsula earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

md95065 Aug 24th 2014 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11380097)

It was in Napa, about 100 miles north of where I am and I slept through it ...

N1cky Aug 24th 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11380213)
I originally put your name in my post...then edited it out because I thought you were outside the area. Glad you and your family are OK.

Thanks!

We're in Silicon Valley, so between SF and San Jose, reports are people felt it in South San Jose.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11380222)
:eek: Have you recovered?

No, I'm going out to panic buy as soon as Bev Mo opens

Steerpike Aug 24th 2014 4:28 pm

Very noticeable in Walnut Creek, which is about 50 miles south. Woken up by the whole house shaking. Rolling quake this time - strong but smooth, as it were (I've been here 30 years and have got to know the different types!).

Scary reminder of what the big ones are like.

N1cky Aug 24th 2014 5:43 pm

Looking at photos of barrel rooms, and restaurants, it's lucky the quake hit during the night, any other time and there would have been a lot of serious injuries

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 11380276)
Very noticeable in Walnut Creek, which is about 50 miles south. Woken up by the whole house shaking. Rolling quake this time - strong but smooth, as it were (I've been here 30 years and have got to know the different types!).

Scary reminder of what the big ones are like.

Good to hear you are OK. :thumbsup:

Michael Aug 24th 2014 5:51 pm

Didn't feel it in San Jose. As far as distances, the Loma Preita earthquake epic center was about 15 miles from downtown San Jose and about the same from Santa Cruz and very little damage was in the south bay but downtown Santa Cruz was pretty much destroyed and major damage occurred in San Francisco and Oakland at about 60 miles away.

Jerseygirl Aug 24th 2014 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11380354)
Good to hear you are OK. :thumbsup:

...and you Michael. :thumbsup:

Beaverstate Aug 24th 2014 8:36 pm

Earthquake early-warning system gave 10-second alert before Napa quake felt - LA Times