Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Duggars Expecting 20th child

The Duggars Expecting 20th child

Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:03 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Duggars Expecting 20th child

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Selfish and as I've seen in other commentary, many consider Jim Bob to be essentially "abusive". While all smiles and Christian values on screen they are members of a religious sect/cult called "Quiver full" which basically subjugates women as breeding machines. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets pregnant again after number 20.
Quiverfull is a belief rather than a cult, no? As in, there is no cult leader, they're not required to give up all monies, drink kool aid etc

They've always seemed like being a hybrid of Catholic and Amish to me, without being Catholic or Amish if that makes sense.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:05 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I've often heard people criticise the Duggar family for their eco footprint. Jim Bob's response is always the following:

"When you have this many children, resources are shared. Therefore each of my children has a much smaller footprint and uses fewer of the Earth's natural resources than children who come from smaller families."

HOWEVER!! I say that yes, HIS children are probably using a smaller footprint than, say, my child, but what about THEIR children? And THEIR children? By having hundreds of descendents, the world's population increases exponentially and more resources get used up quicker. So yeah, the Duggars are being selfish.

Jim Bob never seems to have a response for that one.

I do honour a woman's right to choose though. If Michelle wants that many, I'm not going to stop her. No-one's telling me when to have/not to have kids, so the same should apply to her.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert
I've often heard people criticise the Duggar family for their eco footprint. Jim Bob's response is always the following:

"When you have this many children, resources are shared. Therefore each of my children has a much smaller footprint and uses fewer of the Earth's natural resources than children who come from smaller families."
On last night's show it said they do ten loads of laundry a day -- one hopes they use cold water and a non-phosphate detergent for that lot, or it will leave some footprint . . .

However, I have to admit that they seem like pretty decent normal kids with a sense of humor (seen without sound late at night!) -- the boys are tomboys and none of them are coddled in any way, they all muck in and help.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't object to their lifestyle or religion. I just think they're a bunch of smug annoying pie-faced goody-two-shoes and we really shouldn't reward that kind of thing.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I do object. With the world population just passing 7B it is totally irresponsible to be breeding 20 kids, for what purpose exactly, just so you can break some record? Also what about the quality of life for all these kids, the parents surely can't give them any amount of meaningful attention. They should have stuck with numbers for the kids names, it would be easier than some of the wank names they have chosen....
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert
I do honour a woman's right to choose though. If Michelle wants that many, I'm not going to stop her. No-one's telling me when to have/not to have kids, so the same should apply to her.
I'm all for a woman's right to choose too, I just wonder in her situation if she had said no at any point between 1 and 20, what Jim Bob would have done.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for a woman's right to choose too, I just wonder in her situation if she had said no at any point between 1 and 20, what Jim Bob would have done.
I really don't think he is really bothered what the health implications are for his wife and coming baby, as long as she keeps shelling them out.
It might be to keep the tv company interested in their family, as I've not seen their programme recently. 45 is, IMHO, way to old to be having a baby, be it the 1st or the 20th.
Would they be having the same lifestyle if it wasn't for the tv company's money coming in? I know Jim Bob makes a reasonable living with his "property investments", but probably not enough for them to life in the style they are accustomed to now.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joto
I really don't think he is really bothered what the health implications are for his wife and coming baby, as long as she keeps shelling them out.
It might be to keep the tv company interested in their family, as I've not seen their programme recently. 45 is, IMHO, way to old to be having a baby, be it the 1st or the 20th.
Would they be having the same lifestyle if it wasn't for the tv company's money coming in? I know Jim Bob makes a reasonable living with his "property investments", but probably not enough for them to life in the style they are accustomed to now.
I really don't think the Duggars are having kids to keep the TV show producers interested...They had had like 16 or so WELL before they went on TV...and they were providing for them, ie no mortage or loans etc....Don't think they are doing it to break records unless she's planning on having 69 like the current record holder....which seems a tad unlikely....
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
I really don't think the Duggars are having kids to keep the TV show producers interested...They had had like 16 or so WELL before they went on TV...and they were providing for them, ie no mortage or loans etc....Don't think they are doing it to break records unless she's planning on having 69 like the current record holder....which seems a tad unlikely....
Que?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hope they're using some of their TV money to buy better food. What little I've seen of them showed me that they existed almost entirely on tater tots and cream of mushroom slop.
I saw a photo of their kitchen in my wife's MOPS magazine (now that is a screwed up organisation) that showed a full soda fountain.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen the programme and know nothing about them other than the number of kids. So from what I've read on here they manage to support them all themselves, what does he do for a job he must earn a boatload, homing, feeding and clothing 19 kids and 2 adults must be a fortune?

I read the article, and she manages to spend 1 hour on the eliptical every day, how the hell? I have 1 kid and work and can't find an hour a day to do that. She can't be giving the kids the time they need and deserve as it is.

Bet they would have chosen a better letter than 'J' for the names if they knew they were going to have 20.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:08 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm embarrassed to say I know the answer to that one.

After their first son, Josh, was born, Jim Bob and Michelle used birth control. Michelle eventually got pregnant again, but they lost the baby early on in a miscarriage. After that they decided that God had sent them a message telling them birth control was a bad thing, and they stopped using it. The next children were twins (Jon David and Jana, I think), which seemed to be their "reward" for stopping the birth control.

And by the looks of things, Michelle seems just as game for more kids as Jim Bob. I think they're equally off their rockers.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Leslie
Que?
http://books.google.com/books?id=xix...silyev&f=false
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

20 kids at age 45.

My Brit, old school friend told me she's expecting her third the other night. Same age as me. I put the idea of a third away ages ago but after her 'phone call I got all hormonal/stupid thinking "it's now or never to have another". The biggest reason why I can't is cash- commodities-practicalities. It seemed quite hard at the time to put emotions aside for the sake of cash and practicalities. It's also hard to ignore emotions in favour of cash (lack of) and practicalities.

OH was trying to be nice but his bloody body clock thing doesn't stop when mine does.

Anyway - I was a little bit vino-ed up at the time but I still think it's a shame that I have to virtually put a price on a new baby's head.

20 is completely out of my bounds though !
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've never seen the programme and know nothing about them other than the number of kids. So from what I've read on here they manage to support them all themselves, what does he do for a job he must earn a boatload, homing, feeding and clothing 19 kids and 2 adults must be a fortune?

I read the article, and she manages to spend 1 hour on the eliptical every day, how the hell? I have 1 kid and work and can't find an hour a day to do that. She can't be giving the kids the time they need and deserve as it is.

Bet they would have chosen a better letter than 'J' for the names if they knew they were going to have 20.
He's a real estate agent...they also own a cell tower (ashamed to know this)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.