Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:12 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
????? Confused??????

These shows don't really exist, do they?
I'm very afraid. I think I need a hug.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indigoblue
I think you may have been right the first time around
As long as the bride said her vows voluntarily and without any pressure, I guess it is legal.
It isn't legally enforceable.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:17 am
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It isn't legally enforceable.
Thank Goodness for that!.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:19 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thank Goodness for that!.
However, it is enforceable in the Afterlife.....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:21 am
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

However, it is enforceable in the Afterlife.....
Damn . . .
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:23 am
Lapine Member

Damn . . .
Oh, and of course, the lightning bolts from the blue....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:26 am
Thought is free.

Oh, and of course, the lightning bolts from the blue....
Those can be a tad painful . . .or so Iv'e heard.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:33 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Couldn't you say the same about any of us though? We're all products of our various sub-cultures, and make our choices based on that. Is is a coincidence that my sister n' I and our 2 half brothers, have no children? That we married late/not at all?
You are absolutely right and had she been brought up differently, she probably would not have found any of this acceptable.
I think when you are brought up in such a stict and confined way, its just easier to go with the flo instead of speaking up and rocking the boat and possibly being booted out of the community
Has anyone heard of the Plymouth Brethren? Scary bunch. They don't allow their children to go to university, which means they're not allowed to qualify as teachers in the UK. However, they like to educate their kids separately to others, so they require non-Brethren teaching staff to work in their community. My mum worked as a headteacher of one of their high schools for a few years, and the stories she would tell! Women have NO rank or status and she was often shouted down by the menfolk when she tried to improve the school for female students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Brethren

So yes... our environment does dictate a lot of the choices we make, but surely equality for all is a human right? Any doctrine that says women are born to serve men (be that the House of Dugger, the Plymouth Brethren or extremist Islam), is, in my opinion, wrong.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:44 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
Has anyone heard of the Plymouth Brethren? Scary bunch. They don't allow their children to go to university, which means they're not allowed to qualify as teachers in the UK. However, they like to educate their kids separately to others, so they require non-Brethren teaching staff to work in their community. My mum worked as a headteacher of one of their high schools for a few years, and the stories she would tell! Women have NO rank or status and she was often shouted down by the menfolk when she tried to improve the school for female students.

So yes... our environment does dictate a lot of the choices we make, but surely equality for all is a human right? Any doctrine that says women are born to serve men (be that the House of Dugger, the Plymouth Brethren or extremist Islam), is, in my opinion, wrong.

Women should be treated with respect.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Women should be treated with respect.
As they follow 3 steps behind
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:54 am
Thought is free.

Originally Posted by gingerert

Oh, I definately agree with you. However people have been doing this and getting away with it for a very long time. Nothing will change until the women in these communities take a stand and that in itself is a very difficult thing to do.
In the case of the Duggars, maybe bringing the outside world into their world via the tv show will will be their undoing.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:59 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I definately agree with you. However people have been doing this and getting away with it for a very long time. Nothing will change until the women in these communities take a stand and that in itself is a very difficult thing to do.
In the case of the Duggars, maybe bringing the outside world into their world via the tv show will will be their undoing.
Are you suggesting they should be killed?
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yours wouldn't be able to push your wheelchair at three paces back!
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh Ray... how simple you are...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:01 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Ray
I want mine out front where I can see her.

I don't trust her back there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.