Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Old Apr 13th 2009, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duggar Wedding Show Last Night

Originally Posted by Rete

As for religious clap-trap, unless their religion was a destructive one and/or abusive, I wouldn't labeled it as such.
You're right, my statement did come across negative. I did not mean it as such, was trying to make a point, and did it poorly. Though their views & family life could be deemed abusive, depending on some people's viewpoints.

You are obviously an open-minded parent, but not not all are. I know if I told my father I am basically an atheist, he probably wouldn't speak to me for a very, very long time, as would others in my family. From what I've read (I've never watched the show), the Duggar family seems extremely religious and I just wondered how open they would be to a child that doesn't quite fit in the family mold?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You're right, my statement did come across negative. I did not mean it as such, was trying to make a point, and did it poorly. Though their views & family life could be deemed abusive, depending on some people's viewpoints.

You are obviously an open-minded parent, but not not all are. I know if I told my father I am basically an atheist, he probably wouldn't speak to me for a very, very long time, as would others in my family. From what I've read (I've never watched the show), the Duggar family seems extremely religious and I just wondered how open they would be to a child that doesn't quite fit in the family mold?
The Amish have that thing where you can take a year off, so to speak as a young adult and experience the outside world. It translates as spring fling or something like that. Anyway, to my mind that's not a bad idea.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

If the Duggars had no more children and all the kids followed their lead by each having 18 children they would have 324 grand children

Christmas could be very expensive!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

What for me is extremely heartwarming is that they seem to be self sufficient, ie they have a good standard of living brought about by the father working and not scrounging off the government. I say as long as I'm not paying for it, full speed ahead!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I hopscotched between DWTS and this show last night but didn't see the episode where the newlyweds were anxiously awaiting the results of the home pregnancy test.

I did see them when they went to the Christian Film Festival and I have to say that this episode did something any of the others had failed to do for me. See them more respectfully and take their views more seriously.

For once mom really looked young. Not only young but happy, truly happy and content with her life. I found that I agreed with their thoughts on media viewing for children and it is basically the same that both my daughters have in regards to their own toddlers watching television. Family type entertainment without violence.

As for their own religion, they are not forcing it down anyone's throat but go about their worship simply and without fanfare. They don't appear to practice but to explain and that is something I find admirable.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I hopscotched between DWTS and this show last night but didn't see the episode where the newlyweds were anxiously awaiting the results of the home pregnancy test.

I did see them when they went to the Christian Film Festival and I have to say that this episode did something any of the others had failed to do for me. See them more respectfully and take their views more seriously.

For once mom really looked young. Not only young but happy, truly happy and content with her life. I found that I agreed with their thoughts on media viewing for children and it is basically the same that both my daughters have in regards to their own toddlers watching television. Family type entertainment without violence.

As for their own religion, they are not forcing it down anyone's throat but go about their worship simply and without fanfare. They don't appear to practice but to explain and that is something I find admirable.

You missed it Rete, the baby announcement show was on before the festival one! lol.
I agree with you about the Duggars and their respectful way of not bible bashing everyone not in their religion. They seem to be a very loving family and do no harm to anyone else. I see nothing wrong with the way they bring their children up, as long as the children are able to make their own choices when they grow up. They get a good 'grounding' from the parents.

I have much more respect for this family than the Jon and Kate plus 8 guys, at least the Duggars are not 'living' off their show and earn their own money.