Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dublin and Shannon Airports Experiences

Dublin and Shannon Airports Experiences

Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dublin and Shannon Airports Experiences

I’ve got 2 questions for those who have travel experiences with both Dublin and Shannon Airports

1. While going to the UK I have a 9hr wait at Dublin airport. Is it worth to book a lounge or are there enough stuff to do to just hang about if I don’t book? I don’t have a priority pass so I’ll have to pay for the lounge access. First time travelling through Ireland so I have no idea what to expect.

2. This time the situation is reversed. Coming from Edinburgh to Shannon Airport I only have a 1.30hrs layover time. Is that sufficient time to clear security and USA pre clearance immigration? And this is given that the flight is on time 😂.

Any inputs would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dublin and Shannon Airports Experiences

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
I’ve got 2 questions for those who have travel experiences with both Dublin and Shannon Airports

1. While going to the UK I have a 9hr wait at Dublin airport. Is it worth to book a lounge or are there enough stuff to do to just hang about if I don’t book? I don’t have a priority pass so I’ll have to pay for the lounge access. First time travelling through Ireland so I have no idea what to expect.

2. This time the situation is reversed. Coming from Edinburgh to Shannon Airport I only have a 1.30hrs layover time. Is that sufficient time to clear security and USA pre clearance immigration? And this is given that the flight is on time 😂.

Any inputs would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.
Dublin airport is not large. It has a good array of shops and places to eat for its size (get the breakfast at the place upstairs if you are there at that time of day), but it won't keep you occupied for 9 hours. In fact, I can't think of any airport that could keep you occupied for 9 hours. If finances permit, book a lounge, take a shower, have a nap.

Don't know Shannon, sorry.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 4:59 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Dublin airport is not large. It has a good array of shops and places to eat for its size (get the breakfast at the place upstairs if you are there at that time of day), but it won't keep you occupied for 9 hours. In fact, I can't think of any airport that could keep you occupied for 9 hours. If finances permit, book a lounge, take a shower, have a nap.

Don't know Shannon, sorry.
I agree, there are two terminals next to each other. A few shops and resturants but nothing to entertain you for 9 hours.
Ref the lounges, we were there last Sept, pretty sure the lounges are in the departure areas. We could not access them whist waiting for our flights to Exeter.
We ended up in one of the resturant areas trying to sleep, it was a long 3 hour wait for our flights.

Now the departure, We really liked the pre clearance, it was a bit of a hassel all the lining up and multiple screenings. But so worth it at the other end.
Time wise, your pushing it. Pray that there are no delays on to flight to Ireland.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Nine hours layover at Dublin would be comfortably long enough for a quick trip into the city.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:56 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Nine hours layover at Dublin would be comfortably long enough for a quick trip into the city.
True, maybe an hour in rush hour traffic.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Absolutely. Buy one of those city guide books, book a great spot for lunch or dinner and off you go. Just be back at the airport about 2 hours before.

If the layover is during night hours - go book a room at a hotel. At least you can have a shower etc.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

leahyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am a Republic of Ireland (RoI) citizen and have been through Dublin and Shannon to many times to count.
Neither will keep you entertained for 9 hours. Buy lounge access it is only about €30.
Dublin has 2 terminals, in general the long haul flights arrive into and depart from Terminal 2, short haul or budget carriers from Terminal 1.
Shannon is a small terminal with very little to do, if a US military flight has landed from the middle east it will be rammed with troops.
The advantage to me in both airports is the US Pre-clearance. US CBP has borders in both airports in other words you fly from either Dublin or Shannon after you pass through security you then cross the US border at the US Pre-Clearance zone. Meaning when you arrive in the US you are treated as a domestic arrival.
Search online for pre clearance in Dublin or shannon and you will get the official line.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't make assumptions for others. You are familiar with the area as it is your home/country but for other travelers with time to kill between flights who have never been in the cities, they might very well be happy to go out of the airport for a few hours to window shop, grab a bite to eat, see the local color. Sure as hell beats sitting in an airport lounge getting drunk over those 9 hours.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 4th 2018 at 5:12 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:52 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Also, don't make the mistake of going through pre-clearance too early at Dublin. There is nothing at all to do at the other side, and no access to anything other than a small newsagent style shop.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Also, don't make the mistake of going through pre-clearance too early at Dublin. There is nothing at all to do at the other side, and no access to anything other than a small newsagent style shop.
There is a lounge in the pre-cleared departures area at Dublin now, 51st and Green. Not used it myself but I've seen favourable comments on it and I think it takes walk-up payments if not included in the ticket.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 12:28 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I can't think of any airport that could keep you occupied for 9 hours.
Irrelevant to thread but Changi in Singapore could, just about.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Sit in the lounge and read a book ?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Irrelevant to thread but Changi in Singapore could, just about.
Incheon,
Dubai.....
But not Dublin
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Incheon,
Dubai.....
But not Dublin
I haven't been to Incheon, but Dubai and Changi are doable for 9 hours.

When I had 7 hours at Dublin in December I took a taxi to the city, had a coffee and stretched my legs then headed back. There's not much to do at Dublin really.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:58 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When I had 7 hours at Dublin in December I took a taxi to the city, had a coffee and stretched my legs then headed back. There's not much to do at Dublin really.

Lol, I think you went to the wrong place. There are a lifetime of things to do in Dublin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.