Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Wikiposts

Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Old Yesterday, 12:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought in the West/ Pulaski Road Trip

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So it's summer 2024, and time for another Pulaski road trip. This one isn't going to be quite as visually dramatic as the one last year - we're driving from Charlotte, NC through Kentucky to Chicago, then back via Detroit and West Virginia. The plan is to visit three possible unis for little Miss P, and then visit a college friend of Mrs P, who lives just outside Detroit.

We set out this morning, almost immediately leaving interstates behind us and heading across country through Morganton, cutting across NE Tennessee and SW Virginia into Kentucky, and lunch at Rax.

Forty years ago Rax, was going head-to-head with Arby's, with around 500 locations, but after it changed hands several times, and some disastrous strategic decisions, the business went into a near terminal decline, and now has only six locations, with the one we ate at being the only location in Kentucky; four of the other five are in Ohio.
Wow that lunch looks really good. Excellent sandwich, and the fries look decent..

Ah, college visits! I really envy you guys. I loved doing that, back in the day. I remember, with my daughter, being invited to nice lunches at a couple of fancy private colleges that were trying to recruit her. (She was a hockey goaltender. ) Then we went to the cheap & cheerful state school that she finally chose - we each got a turkey sandwich wrapped in foil, that we sat on the lawn & scarfed down. She strongly felt - these are my people, I feel comfortable here. And indeed, she had a great education there, and played a lot of good hockey games.

So - which colleges are you visiting? Hopefully all will be revealed as the road trip progresses ..
Old Yesterday, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski was writing his post about his college road trip, I was planning a West Coast version for my youngest, in mid August. A fast drive from Seattle to Berkely then stop at many more down to San Diego, with a quick pit-stop at Orange to help my eldest move in to his college.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
As Pulaski was writing his post about his college road trip, I was planning a West Coast version for my youngest, in mid August. A fast drive from Seattle to Berkely then stop at many more down to San Diego, with a quick pit-stop at Orange to help my eldest move in to his college.
One word. Claremont Colleges. Just look up, and you see Mt Baldy, where Leonard Cohen served as a Buddhist monk for a decade.
Old Today, 4:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So it's summer 2024, and time for another Pulaski road trip. This one isn't going to be quite as visually dramatic as the one last year - we're driving from Charlotte, NC through Kentucky to Chicago, then back via Detroit and West Virginia. The plan is to visit three possible unis for little Miss P, and then visit a college friend of Mrs P, who lives just outside Detroit.

We set out this morning, almost immediately leaving interstates behind us and heading across country through Morganton, cutting across NE Tennessee and SW Virginia into Kentucky, and lunch at Rax.

Forty years ago Rax, was going head-to-head with Arby's, with around 500 locations, but after it changed hands several times, and some disastrous strategic decisions, the business went into a near terminal decline, and now has only six locations, with the one we ate at being the only location in Kentucky; four of the other five are in Ohio.

I've eaten at some funny little roadside shacks in Kentucky in my time. Nameless places, dirt cheap, off the beaten track.

Are you considering Northwestern? They incautiously gave me a degree, many moons ago.
Old Today, 5:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I've eaten at some funny little roadside shacks in Kentucky in my time. Nameless places, dirt cheap, off the beaten track. ...
So breakfast today was at the bizarrely named "Triple XXX Family Restaurant", which only sort of makes sense when you discover that it was founded in 1929. We chose it because we were staying nearby, but apparently this location is the sole survivor of what had previously also been a chain, though far smaller than the RAX chain at its peak.

And I was able to buy a souvenir mug.

Are you considering Northwestern? They incautiously gave me a degree, many moons ago.
It's funny you mention that!

But for today we are about to take a tour of Perdue University.

Last edited by Pulaski; Today at 5:46 am.
Old Today, 5:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

So breakfast today was at the bizarrely named "Triple XXX Family Restaurant", which only sort of makes sense when you discover that it was founded in 1929. We chose it because we were staying nearby, but apparently this location is the sole survivor of what had previously also been a chain, though far smaller than the RAX chain at its peak.

And I was able to buy a souvenir mug.

It's funny you mention that!

But for today we are about to take a tour of Perdue University.

Go Boilermakers!

That isn't okra in your eggs, is it?
Old Today, 6:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Wow that lunch looks really good. Excellent sandwich, and the fries look decent. .....
Not bad, though honestly, I think Arby's would have been better.
.... Ah, college visits! I really envy you guys. I loved doing that, back in the day. I remember, with my daughter, being invited to nice lunches at a couple of fancy private colleges that were trying to recruit her. (She was a hockey goaltender. ) Then we went to the cheap & cheerful state school that she finally chose - we each got a turkey sandwich wrapped in foil, that we sat on the lawn & scarfed down. ....
Based on our experiences so far, free food is no longer much of a thing, though little Miss P did get lunch from a professor at NCSU, where she had a private tour of the engineering department, ahead of the open tour for potential students.
So - which colleges are you visiting? Hopefully all will be revealed as the road trip progresses ..
Purdue today (Monday 1/7), but watch this space for updates!

Last edited by Pulaski; Today at 7:36 am.
Old Today, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
.... That isn't okra in your eggs, is it?
No, chopped bell pepper; also ham, sausage, and mushrooms. I don't think I have ever seen okra in a omlet, or added it to my home made omlets, though I sometimes add artichoke hearts on holidays.
Old Today, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad, though honestly, I think Arby's would have been better.

Based on our experiences so far, free food is no longer much of a thing, though little Miss P did get lunch from a professor at NCSU, where she had a private tour of the engineering department, ahead of the open tour for potential students.

Purdue today (Monday 1/7), but watch this space for updates!
Is little Miss P a child prodigy ?

I figured she was no more then a very young teen. I guess BE time passes by...
Old Today, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I love eating at places like this on road trips! That sandwich looks pretty good! And you got curly fries and regular fries ... it doesn't get any better than that
Old Today, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Is little Miss P a child prodigy? ....
She's a rising senior!

It seems like only yesterday that we were dropping her off for her first day at kindergarten.

Last edited by Pulaski; Today at 1:33 pm.
Old Today, 6:03 pm

She's a rising senior!

Still, it's incredibly satisfying to see them turn into young adults, in a "look what I've done" sort of way