Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Driving in TX, new resident

Driving in TX, new resident

Old Jul 28th 2022, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in TX, new resident

Originally Posted by Pulaski
During dry weather the road surface gets greasy, mostly from rubber build up, so can be unexpectedly slick when it first gets wet. That is rarely a phenomenon in the UK, for obvious reasons, but although we obviously get more rain in NC than the SW / California does, when there has been a dry spell of a couple of weeks or more, a rainstorm does seem to generate more accidents than I would expect, and I exercise more caution, not because I have ever had a problem under such conditions, but because other idiots on the road often do have control issues.
A basic principle of driving here in GA is the harder it rains the faster you go. Then, on the rare occasions when there is ice or snow, drive faster to get over it more quickly; this was explained to me by a co-worker who, until that point, I regarded as being reasonably intelligent.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 2:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
A basic principle of driving here in GA is the harder it rains the faster you go. Then, on the rare occasions when there is ice or snow, drive faster to get over it more quickly; this was explained to me by a co-worker who, until that point, I regarded as being reasonably intelligent. ....
Hmmm, the most noticeable theme to people's driving habits in the rain in NC is that some people slow down a lot more than the conditions justify, IMO, but people still have plenty of wrecks! The slowing down phenomonen is particularly absurd/ dangerous when it is not uncommon to find all 3-4 lanes on interstates scattered with idiots who think that they need to 40mph with the hazzard lights on, even when the rain is not particularly extreme and the road surface is just "wet". So it is not uncommon for me to find myself in moderately heavy rain on the interstate driving at near normal speed, but having to change lane frequently to dodge the white-knuckle drivers who are scared of a wet road. I also notice that some of them persist in doing 40mph for several miles after the rain has stopped, or slowed to a drizzle, and I am doing nearly twice what they're doing.

It's best to stay off the road entirely in NC if there is snow or ice on the road - and most people seem to do that these days, especially with WFH being a common things for anyone who works in an office.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 28th 2022 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

And there was me today being annoyed for getting honked at in a McDonald's car park by an idiot who was driving the wrong way around a one way! Also got overtaken on a dual carriageway today by some plonker who, just after merging back in, then decided to slow down and exit! And I was doing 70ish!
Old Aug 14th 2022, 12:51 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave2726
Yeah, I think I'd have got some of those wrong too! This is where I think some study of the handbook and a couple of local lessons with a driving school will really help. I am glad you passed and thanks for the heads-up!
Be prepared for a rude awakening. Few native Texans know how to drive. It’s shocking. Every time I drive from Fort Worth to Austin I’m shocked at the ignorance. 5 lanes with cars in lanes 5 through 2 going slower than lane 1. Don’t get me on about Dallas. I just flat out avoid it at all costs. I also have several motorbikes now. My life expectancy dramatically drops whenever I venture out. Two of them are antique (1965 and 1967) Lambretta scooters, along with a Kawasaki Vulcan. Drivers don’t expect to see a ‘moped’ doing 75 mph and I’m frequently cut up. I removed the stock exhaust on the Vulcan and added an obnoxious racing exhaust just to ‘announce’ my presence. Not an option on the scooters.

A tip I learned I England on a defensive driver course for parallel parking - if you are lucky enough to be asked to do it by a storefront - storefront windows are awesome mirrors. Use them.

ive been here 18 years now. Just this Friday i went to the drivers door to open it for my passenger. I occasionally still get in the passenger seat by mistake (rummaging around in the glovebox for a pretend item to hide my mistake).

Howdy and welcome to the DFW area.
Old Aug 17th 2022, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
ive been here 18 years now. Just this Friday i went to the drivers door to open it for my passenger. I occasionally still get in the passenger seat by mistake (rummaging around in the glovebox for a pretend item to hide my mistake).
Ha! Been here 10 years and went to pick up my car yesterday after being told the keys were left on the driver's side rear tyre. Couldn't find them, went inside to the shop, made the guy come out and of course there they were - i had been looking on the passenger side
Old Aug 18th 2022, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Howdy! Yeah, I think I am going to be walking to the "right side" of the car for a while by default! Looking forward to getting started in FW soon. It'd be nice to meet a few local Brits so I don't go insane!

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Another question on this, sorry. TX DPS handbook talks about 90 days from residence to swap another US state license or a license from a driving treaty country (I think Canada, Germany etc are named). It says nothing in particular about those with any other license. So, if I have a UK license can I drive on it until I get my TX license (I have an appointment well within 90 days of moving into an apartment/TX)?

​​​​​

​​​
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Another question on this, sorry. TX DPS handbook talks about 90 days from residence to swap another US state license or a license from a driving treaty country (I think Canada, Germany etc are named). It says nothing in particular about those with any other license. So, if I have a UK license can I drive on it until I get my TX license (I have an appointment well within 90 days of moving into an apartment/TX)?

​​​​​

​​​
yes. you have 90 days
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2022, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

So I have new wheels via IAS. The dealer I picked it up from is handling registration and I'll get the plates by mail in a few weeks time. The car has a TX Dealer temp plate on it though and I think it should have a TX Buyer temp plate. Asked the dealer who is refusing the Buyer plate and keeps saying they're the same thing. DMV website says otherwise and that dealers only have a limited number of buyer plates they can assign each year. Explains why part of the fobbing off is about "well you didn't technically buy the car from us." Not sure what to do really. I keep asking for a copy of the VIR too, which I am promised and then it never materialises... Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2022, 2:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So I have new wheels via IAS. The dealer I picked it up from is handling registration and I'll get the plates by mail in a few weeks time. The car has a TX Dealer temp plate on it though and I think it should have a TX Buyer temp plate. Asked the dealer who is refusing the Buyer plate and keeps saying they're the same thing. DMV website says otherwise and that dealers only have a limited number of buyer plates they can assign each year. Explains why part of the fobbing off is about "well you didn't technically buy the car from us." Not sure what to do really. I keep asking for a copy of the VIR too, which I am promised and then it never materialises... Thanks
you're wanting to know how to prove texas registration?
Take a photo of the dealer plate on the car , your insurance certificate or card and if you have a copy of the vehicle registration application then take that.
Old Nov 13th 2022, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
you're wanting to know how to prove texas registration?
Take a photo of the dealer plate on the car , your insurance certificate or card and if you have a copy of the vehicle registration application then take that.

​​​​​​Thanks!