Reload this Page >

Driving license chicago

Wikiposts

Driving license chicago

Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Nicomal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license chicago

I have a UK driving licence and have done for over 10 years. Am I required to sit another test I Chicago ? Does anyone have any advice on this or has done it themselves ?
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license chicago

Originally Posted by Nicomal
I have a UK driving licence and have done for over 10 years. Am I required to sit another test I Chicago ? Does anyone have any advice on this or has done it themselves ?
Thanks
You have to get an Illinois license within 90 days of establishing residence. Go to The Official Website for Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White - www.cyberdriveillinois.com to review the document requirements. I'm assuming you're over 19 as you've held a UK license for over 10 years so you won't have to go through the permit process.

You have to have a vision, rules of the road (signs and multiple choice questions) and a road test. It's a turn up on the day and wait your turn system, i.e. no appointments so I suggest you get there early and take a book (or the Rules of the Road booklet).

It's mostly waiting around, I think I was there for around 3.5 hours total. It was the case that you got your license on the day, but they are moving to 'real id' this month, so it will be mailed to you and you will be issued with a temp paper license.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

If you can drive, poorly, around the block they'll give you one.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Our driver's test is easy but not passable if you don't drive correctly. In my area of NYS it consisted of driving up the street to a traffic light. You then had to make a right turn and then an almost immediate left turn. Next you had to execute a broken U turn, now called by some as a K turn. Then you had to parallel park behind another car. Then it was exit the street with a right turn and then an immediate left at the light.

You lost points for not checking your mirrors enough, or making the turn and not going into the correct lane immediately after the turn, i.e. left turn into left lane, non-use of blinkers or not using them at the correct time, when parking leaving more than 3 inches between the car and the curb.

Easy if you know how to drive. Difficult if you are nervous or anxious.

Ironic my daughters took their road tests on the same street I did 20 years before them and they are still doing them on the same street today 25 years later.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
.... Easy if you know how to drive. Difficult if you are nervous or anxious. ....
This is true - don't treat the US states' road tests as a joke, because you will end up being the fool, but drive carefully, confidently, and to the best of your ability and you will find the test laughably easy.

Do mug up for the theory test though, as it is usually filled with persnickity questions about obscure road signs, penalties for drunk driving, and stopping distances. ..... You don't need to get them all right, so passing isn't really a big deal either.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Our driver's test is easy but not passable if you don't drive correctly.
Gees, thanks Captain Obvious.

As long as you've done an hours practice and know what a stop sign is you'll pass no problem.

I can't recall anyone on this forum failing.... although no one would admit it either!
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit that I failed it the first time, Mr. Obnoxious
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll admit that I failed it the first time, Mr. Obnoxious
Lmao. OK that's one.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Gees, thanks Captain Obvious. ...

As long as you've done an hours practice and know what a stop sign is you'll pass no problem.

I can't recall anyone on this forum failing.... although no one would admit it either!
At least two other people have admitted to it, one in upstate New York (I do remember his BE name), and the other one admitted it recently, but I don't remember the name. Perhaps it was Rete.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Gees, thanks Captain Obvious.

Pretty sure I've seen a number of posters admit it.

I passed but there was a point where the examiner was kind enough to say "I'd like to see you stop behind the line at the next stop sign" by which he meant stop so you can see the white line in front of the hood rather than with the wheel at the line. If you are an experienced driver you may fall into certain habits which are not necessarily wrong but in order to pass must be set aside. So yes knowing what a stop sign is is easy, knowing what they want you to do at the stop sign may not be.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When I did mine in NYC the girl in front of me hit the car in front of her.

I'm pretty sure she still passed.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Was she wearing a short skirt
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:41 pm

When I did mine in NYC the girl in front of me hit the car in front of her.

I'm pretty sure she still passed.
So, per your post #3, above, you think the examiner "gave her one"?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure she scored maximum points on the remaining maneuvers.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

To make it even easier, pick a test centre outside the city for the driving part. I was scolded for driving across the painted lines in the vast empty parking lot, then made a few right turns and a left turn around the wide suburban streets and that was it.

Written test used to be multiple choice, probably still is. "When you reach a railroad crossing should you A. Speed up in case a train is coming; B. Drive on to the tracks, stop to look left and right for trains, continue; C. Stop. Check for signals and trains. Proceed with caution."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.