Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Don't tick THAT box!

Don't tick THAT box!

Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:39 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't tick THAT box!

How? Why?

The consequences of mistakenly ticking yes on the worst ESTA question!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45678517
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't tick THAT box!

Originally Posted by lizzyq
How? Why?

The consequences of mistakenly ticking yes on the worst ESTA question!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45678517
Poor woman Bloody stupid question anyway, as if anyone would deliberately tick 'yes'!
Old Sep 28th 2018, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I can only imagine how many "you don't want to be on those lists" lists she is on now.

I'm guessing a very small purpose of that question is kinda of a gotcha question that can be used against you at a later date. Sometime after WWII they started asking immigrants if they were a nazi. I don't know the exact wording that was used, but it's how a bunch of them were later denaturalized and deported in 80-90-2000's.

Last edited by jkeller; Sep 28th 2018 at 2:25 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 2:36 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

She said: "I believe I ticked 'no' and then when I have scrolled down to click confirm, I think it has nudged and moved. That's the story I'm sticking to.
Computers don't magically 'move' a checkbox selection on a web form.

Attention to detail lacking - she clicked yes by mistake, didn't check it and made her own bed.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 2:45 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602

Attention to detail lacking - she clicked yes by mistake, didn't check it and made her own bed.
I agree that she should have gone back and checked all her answers before actually submitting the form, but sometimes on a mobile device the page shifts a little as it completes loading, the BBC News website is particularly guilty of that and I frequently click on one link only to have it register as a different link due to that final jump and then it loads an article I had no interest in or had already read.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
You have to touch the page to scroll down, very easy to detect it as a press in a checkbox.

The ones I hate are when you go to click on a link, and in that split second before you make contact the page moves because of some advert loading elsewhere, so you end up clicking on something else.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Poor woman Bloody stupid question anyway, as if anyone would deliberately tick 'yes'!
Very cynical to assume terrorists are dishonest people and would lie on a form.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to feel sorry for her as again, why would you not double check your answers, and why would you ever fill out anything (especially with tick boxes) on a tablet...?

I imagine she'll be spending a bit of time in secondary at JFK with their incredibly friendly staff...
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Gerard Hoffnung used to tell a story about visiting the USA. He maintained that there was a question on the paper form "Do you intend to assassinate the President of the USA ?" He answered in longhand "Sole purpose of visit.". He was granted a visa immediately The tale may be apcrcyphal.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really mean that I just think "stupid cow" and find this completely hilarious?
Old Sep 28th 2018, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Is it really mean that I just think "stupid cow" and find this completely hilarious?
Woman with terminal cancer signs off on form in a hurry. Hilarious.
Old Sep 29th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad the US embassy treated this on a case by case basis and didn't just give her a denial.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone want to pay that much to go to the home of Mango Mussolini? On the serious side, this sort of thing has happened on my phone. In a form with a drop down menu, I slid down to the end of the form to click submit, but it had changed my selection on the drop down menu. I always use a PC now to fill in important forms and do not use the mouse wheel to scroll down.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 3rd 2018 at 8:47 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of countries have questions like that on their forms. I routinely get asked about terrorism, people smuggling, firearms training etc.