Dog Dilemma

Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Billy Shears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog Dilemma

Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for a few years now, but I don't post much. I need some opinions/advice if anyone would be so kind.

I moved out to West Texas last July, and wifey joined me in January this year. The plan was to bring our 12 year old dog over with her. To cut a long story short our dog went into diabetic ketoacidosis shortly after I left and very nearly died. She had no history of diabetes. She now has insulin injections twice a day and is almost totally blind, as well as being almost a year older.

I still want her to come out here and live with us. Am I being unrealistic? Is it too risky for her to travel?

I have read the threads about dog travel to the U.S. on here, read the Wiki page, looked at pet travel agencies. I would just like a little feedback maybe from people on here who have brought their dogs with them, and maybe older or sick dogs.

She lives with my Mum at the moment and is stable.

I appreciate any advice or opinions anyone may have. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Dilemma

This is a tough one. As a dog lover who had to have his 13-year-old lab mix put down just back in October, I know how attached you can get, believe me! My wife said that in 17 years of marriage, it's the only time she's seen me really cry!

I say that to tell you that you must do what's ultimately best for the dog, and in my opinion, putting her through the trauma of shipping will most probably kill her. If she's 13, she's getting really old, especially if she's a mid to large breed. So, you must ask yourself if you'd be doing it for her or for you. If it's the latter, then I think it's best for all concerned to make 'THE' decision, tough as it may be, unless you have a friend or family member prepared to take her in and make her comfortable until the time comes.

I hate to hit 'post' on this one because it's a tough time and a very difficult decision. You must do what you feel is best all round. No-one can really tell you what to do and I certainly wouldn't want to be blamed for telling you the wrong thing!

...and you'll notice I didn't even bring cost into the equation.

Good luck on whatever you decide and remember, that either way, when she does leave you, there are some very good shelters with plenty of adoptable dogs looking for homes.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I would get your Mum to get advice from your Dog's vet as to the fitness for travel. The dog may need an insulin injection or two during the journey, and it's unlikely that any company transporting your dog would give it, but you can always ask.

We drove from CO to CA a couple of years ago with a 13 year old Rottie, and she did well. We just had to get her put down 9 months ago because of a tumor.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

She is ok at my Mum's, the two of them rub along together ok, she is well looked after and she can stay there. It's just a crap life for her compared to how we used to live, but she is safe.

I am waiting to hear back from Pet Air UK, see what they say.

I can't go home and see her again just to leave her again, I thought about going back to the UK when she gets ill and be with her when the time comes.

Guindalf, I volunteer at the local dog pound. That way I have 150 dogs to take the place of my dog back home

Thanks for the help fellas.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If she is well cared for and safe where she is I would not transport her. If she is nearly blind then all she needs is food, warmth, protection, and love, and as long as she is getting those things I don't see any need to put her through the trauma of a transatlantic flight.

Given the rapidly rising temperatures in Texas, I think that you may have already missed the opportunity to fly her in to Texas before the autumn (airlines won't take animals on flights where the ambient temperature on the ground is high), so there would be a long road trip after she landed in the US.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:41 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billy Shears
Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for a few years now, but I don't post much. I need some opinions/advice if anyone would be so kind.

I moved out to West Texas last July, and wifey joined me in January this year. The plan was to bring our 12 year old dog over with her. To cut a long story short our dog went into diabetic ketoacidosis shortly after I left and very nearly died. She had no history of diabetes. She now has insulin injections twice a day and is almost totally blind, as well as being almost a year older.

I still want her to come out here and live with us. Am I being unrealistic? Is it too risky for her to travel?

I have read the threads about dog travel to the U.S. on here, read the Wiki page, looked at pet travel agencies. I would just like a little feedback maybe from people on here who have brought their dogs with them, and maybe older or sick dogs.

She lives with my Mum at the moment and is stable.

I appreciate any advice or opinions anyone may have. Thanks.
I can really sympathize. When we left the UK our border collie was 12, she was still crazy, insisting on running everyday until her legs gave out... her hips were a little dodgy, and she absolutely hated the sun.

We were moving to LA, to a temporary small apartment, and a very different life to walking in the open fields every day.

We took the painful decision to leave her behind with some very good friends, who we knew would keep her in the life she was accustomed to, and loved. Part of me still thought we would fly her out after we got a house sorted out. Within a matter of weeks we knew it would be wrong to bring her out, all the walking trails had leash laws and the only places we could let her off would have been dog parks (and she didn't like other dogs), plus the heat was crazy.

So she stayed with her 'new' family, we got to see pictures of her playing with the kids, and training for a triathlon with our friend. A year after we moved, we got the news that her back end had totally given out, and the vet had said she wouldn't recover and would be in pain and miserable, so the decision was made.

It still hurts like crazy that we left her behind, but I know it was the right decision for her. I think we'd have really regretted bringing her, as I know she would have been miserable. It's been 8 years now, and I'm sat in tears just thinking about her, I loved that dog so much.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I left my 12-year old dog behind with my parents when I moved to the US, but she had spent most of the previous four years with them anyway, after I had moved to London. With me leaving, they were happy to have her to hang onto, and neither London nor NYC would have suited her. She died only a month after I left. I know it's hard to do, but I would definitely not put your dear friend through either the journey or the new climate.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
This is a tough one. As a dog lover who had to have his 13-year-old lab mix put down just back in October, I know how attached you can get, believe me! My wife said that in 17 years of marriage, it's the only time she's seen me really cry!

I say that to tell you that you must do what's ultimately best for the dog, and in my opinion, putting her through the trauma of shipping will most probably kill her. If she's 13, she's getting really old, especially if she's a mid to large breed. So, you must ask yourself if you'd be doing it for her or for you. If it's the latter, then I think it's best for all concerned to make 'THE' decision, tough as it may be, unless you have a friend or family member prepared to take her in and make her comfortable until the time comes.

I hate to hit 'post' on this one because it's a tough time and a very difficult decision. You must do what you feel is best all round. No-one can really tell you what to do and I certainly wouldn't want to be blamed for telling you the wrong thing!

...and you'll notice I didn't even bring cost into the equation.

Good luck on whatever you decide and remember, that either way, when she does leave you, there are some very good shelters with plenty of adoptable dogs looking for homes.
+1
Old Apr 14th 2015, 4:21 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I would get your Mum to get advice from your Dog's vet as to the fitness for travel.
This. It may not even be possible if the vet wouldn't sign a fit to fly certificate.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the input folks, I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 5:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billy Shears
Thanks.

She is ok at my Mum's, the two of them rub along together ok, she is well looked after and she can stay there. It's just a crap life for her compared to how we used to live, but she is safe.

I am waiting to hear back from Pet Air UK, see what they say.

I can't go home and see her again just to leave her again, I thought about going back to the UK when she gets ill and be with her when the time comes.

Guindalf, I volunteer at the local dog pound. That way I have 150 dogs to take the place of my dog back home

Thanks for the help fellas.
If she is doing OK at your mum's I doubt she's thinking of her life as "crap", and the stress of travelling and the upheaval of re-adjusting, even to a nicer environment, could kill her or at least make life "even more crap" for her.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If she is well cared for and safe where she is I would not transport her. If she is nearly blind then all she needs is food, warmth, protection, and love, and as long as she is getting those things I don't see any need to put her through the trauma of a transatlantic flight.

Given the rapidly rising temperatures in Texas, I think that you may have already missed the opportunity to fly her in to Texas before the autumn (airlines won't take animals on flights where the ambient temperature on the ground is high), so there would be a long road trip after she landed in the US.
+ 1 to all of this.

The kindest thing we can do for our pets is what is best for them (even though that sometimes is the hardest thing for us).

From the viewpoint of an outsider who understands what dogs can mean to us, the situation you describe tells me the best thing is for her to stay where she is.