Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does anyone regret moving to USA

Does anyone regret moving to USA

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone regret moving to USA

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I like you, you don't mince words.
Great 1st post
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by greatscot
Not regret, but I don't like it here. I've been in the midwest for 11 years moved here to marry, from Scotland. First and foremost, it's missing real "heart" - for a number of reasons. I too find the people insular and self interested. I hate this notion of the americand ream, as in you've only achieved something with a big house and 2 cars - its very materialistic. And its not just a sweeping generalisation - they mostly are like that!! Holiday time STINKS too - I've worked a variety of jobs and dont be surprised if an employer expects you to be delighted with 2 weeks. Seriously. And healthcare - even WITH insurance, you're STILL paying a portion. ALso hate the obnoxiousness of entitlement attached to many American behaviours. Very grating. And you can't get an actual person on the telephone when you have to call anyone like the phone company or your bank, its all automated CRAP. Also hate the "right wing" "Left wing" bs whatever happened to the brotherhood of MAN and also the extremist "me good" "you bad" ideas peddled by the american right, or the bible bashers its poisonous.

Christ. I can't wait to go home. I loathe it here. Stay in Britain, seriously.

Can I hug you
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

greatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud ofgreatscot has much to be proud of

Hey there.
I stand by what I say. Brit is best.
America has been found wanting in my eyes.
Salutations,
HS
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Not regret, but I don't like it here. I've been in the midwest for 11 years moved here to marry, from Scotland. First and foremost, it's missing real "heart" - for a number of reasons. I too find the people insular and self interested. They dont let you make friends easily. And they pretty much care about #1. I hate this notion of the american dream, as in you've only achieved something with a big house and 2 cars - its very materialistic. And its not just a sweeping generalisation - they mostly are like that!! Holiday time STINKS too - I've worked a variety of jobs and dont be surprised if an employer expects you to be delighted with 2 weeks. Seriously. And healthcare - even WITH insurance, you're STILL paying a portion. Also hate the obnoxiousness of entitlement attached to many American behaviours. Very grating. And you can't get an actual person on the telephone when you have to call anyone like the phone company or your bank, its all automated CRAP. Also hate the "right wing" "Left wing" bs whatever happened to the brotherhood of MAN and also the extremist "me good" "you bad" ideas peddled by the american right, or the bible bashers its poisonous.

I'd never have kids here - first of all you'd have to mortgage your first born off to pay the hospital bills and they'd end up going to school with sycophantic cheerleeders called Amber and Tiffany before expecting you to send them round Europe on YOUR credit card, then they'd go to a sub standard college and get course credits for doing yoga or tai chi or something like that.

ALso the Americans do NOT know how to make a good cup of tea, that numpty Lipton should have been shot, I'm sure dishwater tastes better. You can't give anyone a good slap for getting in your face even if they deserve it or you will have the arse sued of you. And they can't drive. The general populace throws themselves round the roads like a bunch of 5 year olds at a go cart park. No turn signals, no lane discipline, and waiting 30 minutes to hog a parking space when they could have been in the shop and back twice over. Makes me want to scream.

Love your post ....
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in US since 1984 and my brother since 1982. We came to see our American father whom we had not seen for over 18 years. We had both been raised in an orphanage and chance to be with someone who actually seemed to want us was appealing. Also at age 22 I lived in Preston and back then was asking myself is this all there is? I loved my dad as did my brother but my stepmum made life hell for us both. She could not accept us and to be honest we never really got to know my dad. In fact when he died in 2002 we found out 3 months later from a family friend who just casually mentioned it. So do I have regrets - kind of yes and no. I love the vastness of this country and its beauty but yet again its vastness can be a detriment. Friendships can be made (difficult to though) but if a friend moves out of state it's pretty much end of friendship. It's not like friend moving from Manchester to London - it's like a friend moving from one country to another..Americans - well I reserve judgement on them. I feel more at ease with Europeans does not mean do not American friends. So to not bore anyone - materially done better than would have in UK - worked hard for it, not rich by any means. Now as I approach 50 I question my reasons for being here - I do not have anything personally that holds me here other than my brother but he would move if I did. So ideally in the next year or two I will move to England for a period and see if I can call it home again. If I do and it is doesn't work then that's that..I will not make one mistake though and that is to go back to my home town of Preston - there are much nicer places in England and Scotland (preference) that I would rather live..Also I would not hesitiate to move back should something happen to my 46 year old brother who may possibly have cancer -we find out more on Monday. Without him I do not care how my life is in England would rather be alone in UK than in the US. Give the US a try that's all you can do - everyone's circumstances and experiences are different..Also do not be fooled by Americans and the image you see on TV - they are very difficult to get to know. I think it might be easier in a city but in state I live in it has been very difficult..Good luck with your decision..
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great 1st post
He's got a future here!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO the younger you move the better you settle...less baggage to leave behind.
In a nut shell.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I like you, you don't mince words.
I like her or him as well

Last edited by britvic; Oct 4th 2009 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by britvic
I like her or him as well
Me too
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:48 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Not regret, but I don't like it here. I've been in the midwest for 11 years moved here to marry, from Scotland. First and foremost, it's missing real "heart" - for a number of reasons. I too find the people insular and self interested. They dont let you make friends easily. And they pretty much care about #1. I hate this notion of the american dream, as in you've only achieved something with a big house and 2 cars - its very materialistic. And its not just a sweeping generalisation - they mostly are like that!! Holiday time STINKS too - I've worked a variety of jobs and dont be surprised if an employer expects you to be delighted with 2 weeks. Seriously. And healthcare - even WITH insurance, you're STILL paying a portion. Also hate the obnoxiousness of entitlement attached to many American behaviours. Very grating. And you can't get an actual person on the telephone when you have to call anyone like the phone company or your bank, its all automated CRAP. Also hate the "right wing" "Left wing" bs whatever happened to the brotherhood of MAN and also the extremist "me good" "you bad" ideas peddled by the american right, or the bible bashers its poisonous.

I'd never have kids here - first of all you'd have to mortgage your first born off to pay the hospital bills and they'd end up going to school with sycophantic cheerleeders called Amber and Tiffany before expecting you to send them round Europe on YOUR credit card, then they'd go to a sub standard college and get course credits for doing yoga or tai chi or something like that.

ALso the Americans do NOT know how to make a good cup of tea, that numpty Lipton should have been shot, I'm sure dishwater tastes better. You can't give anyone a good slap for getting in your face even if they deserve it or you will have the arse sued of you. And they can't drive. The general populace throws themselves round the roads like a bunch of 5 year olds at a go cart park. No turn signals, no lane discipline, and waiting 30 minutes to hog a parking space when they could have been in the shop and back twice over. Makes me want to scream.

sounds like australia . except the girls are all called kylie and bruce.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any plans to return to the UK, and if so, how does your wife feel about it (I'm assuming you are still married)?

When you're not where you want to be, it can be easy to drive yourself into a frenzy about how much/why you hate where you are. There's a lot of truth in what you say (and of course on MBTTUK, you have a captive audience for these sentiments), but apart from the quality of tea being better here (naturally) I think much of your post could describe how things are in the UK.

Also, some of what you say could be differently interpreted in defence of the US, and in criticism of the UK. One example: the American Dream is as much about poor families working their butts off to achieve a decent standard of living - it's not about being obsessed with opulent luxury. There's not much wrong with the idea you should work in order to make a living - I'm afraid sections of the British population don't get that at all - the State will take care of their lazy arses (which also could be described as "the obnoxiousness of entitlement").

Not trying to pick a fight - I know how you feel. I've come to learn, though that you can end up torturing yourself by only seeking the negative in where you've ended up. Good luck with whatever plans you have to move - and hang around here, you'll get lots of support if you really want to MBTTUK.

(Oh, and I think I'm not sure which is worse - having your kids in school with Amber and Tiffany, or with Chastity and Tiara)

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 4th 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:11 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do you have any plans to return to the UK, and if so, how does your wife feel about it (I'm assuming you are still married)?

When you're not where you want to be, it can be easy to drive yourself into a frenzy about how much/why you hate where you are. There's a lot of truth in what you say (and of course on MBTTUK, you have a captive audience for these sentiments), but apart from the quality of tea being better here (naturally) I think much of your post could describe how things are in the UK.

Also, some of what you say could be differently interpreted in defence of the US, and in criticism of the UK. One example: the American Dream is as much about poor families working their butts off to achieve a decent standard of living - it's not about being obsessed with opulent luxury. There's not much wrong with the idea you should work in order to make a living - I'm afraid sections of the British population don't get that at all - the State will take care of their lazy arses (which also could be described as "the obnoxiousness of entitlement").

Not trying to pick a fight - I know how you feel. I've come to learn, though that you can end up torturing yourself by only seeking the negative in where you've ended up. Good luck with whatever plans you have to move - and hang around here, you'll get lots of support if you really want to MBTTUK.

(Oh, and I think I'm not sure which is worse - having your kids in school with Amber and Tiffany, or with Chastity and Tiara)
Hi dunroving ,good post and although not aimed at me specifically i do agree with what you say . The same outlook on life in general is prevelent amongst nations of the western world so they share exactly the same problems .
It really is just down to wether the place is a boring as watchin grass grow ,wether you feel belonging . It should neve be about money ,if i was to be thinking about money id be staying here in aussie but i just cant do it for all the same reasons the poster above stated about america .
I dont even think you should return to your home country because of friends and family as thats often a mistake after a fortnight ,if it isnt its a bonus .Got to go home because its in your blood .
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Hi dunroving ,good post and although not aimed at me specifically i do agree with what you say . The same outlook on life in general is prevelent amongst nations of the western world so they share exactly the same problems .
It really is just down to wether the place is a boring as watchin grass grow ,wether you feel belonging . It should neve be about money ,if i was to be thinking about money id be staying here in aussie but i just cant do it for all the same reasons the poster above stated about america .
I dont even think you should return to your home country because of friends and family as thats often a mistake after a fortnight ,if it isnt its a bonus .Got to go home because its in your blood .
Coincidentally, I was reading the Sunday Times this morning. The British press is very much no-holds-barred in how it covers conditions in other countries (including some quite shocking photographs). There was a series of pictures in the magazine on people living in Zimbabwe who have been mutilated under the Mugabe regime. It puts things in perspective somewhat - regardless of how boring, or bland, or lonely life is in whatever Western country we live, we have it pretty good compared to some countries.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:07 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by dunroving
Coincidentally, I was reading the Sunday Times this morning. The British press is very much no-holds-barred in how it covers conditions in other countries (including some quite shocking photographs). There was a series of pictures in the magazine on people living in Zimbabwe who have been mutilated under the Mugabe regime. It puts things in perspective somewhat - regardless of how boring, or bland, or lonely life is in whatever Western country we live, we have it pretty good compared to some countries.
absolutely ,we who are dual nationals and can live in several countries are very very fortunate indeed .Our problem is we dont embrace what we have , ie a dual passport is a true blessing it gives us choice ,the problem is some of us cant deal with the choice and use what is at our disposal and enjoy the countries we can live in ,instead we focus on too much permanency .
I met some people form zimbabwe [black] in the uk a few years ago ,they were great people and great fun too ,that despot mugabe has a lot to answer for ,he has ruined the garden of africa .
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

And you can't get an actual person on the telephone when you have to call anyone like the phone company or your bank, its all automated CRAP.

And they can't drive. The general populace throws themselves round the roads like a bunch of 5 year olds at a go cart park. No turn signals, no lane discipline, and waiting 30 minutes to hog a parking space when they could have been in the shop and back twice over. Makes me want to scream.

:
This is the same in Britain. Virtually every company has all the press 1 press 2 crap. Even my local council!

Same in the UK on parking, driving and shopping. I hope this makes you feel better.

Its not all rosy you know anywhere.

Last edited by martinw01908; Oct 4th 2009 at 4:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.