Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does anyone buy organic...

Wikiposts

Does anyone buy organic...

Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:32 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone buy organic...

Does anyone buy organic? I do sometimes depending on what it is and the price. I saw a lady at the local upscale market today buying 3 gallons of organic milk at $5 per gallon. That is obviously double the market rate. My organic buys are strictly produce, though not all my produce.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone buy organic...

We buy local farm eggs and local organic vegetables, just because they are good quality tasty food, not because they are organic as such. Standard supermarket eggs around here, for instance, are very poor quality. Probably OK for baking but not good enough for Sunday morning breakfast..
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I buy organic cage free eggs, but that's about it (unless there's specials on sale at the grocery store). My daughter buys both milk and eggs organic, milk costs a fortune as you say, but she thinks it is better for my grand-children (none of those hormones that are in the regular milk over here). The problem with organic is the price - it is much more expensive for everything.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

What hormones?

Is this different to the UK?
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
What hormones?

Is this different to the UK?
Very different, it has rSBT in, a growth hormone, Although some brands say rsbt free or hormone free on the container.
the hormones in milk and meat are supposed to have some responsibility for the precocious development in girls, they have been starting menses and developing earlier and earlier, some age 7 even.
We buy either Safeway or Crystal both are from cows not treated with growth hormones (so they say)
The only organics we buy are ones where the normal product contains HFCS as the organics usually just contain plain old sugar, so I prefer that. It used to be ketchup and bread, but now lots of brands are using sugar instead of HFCS and advertise the fact on the front.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Very different, it has rSBT in, a growth hormone, Although some brands say rsbt free or hormone free on the container.
the hormones in milk and meat are supposed to have some responsibility for the precocious development in girls, they have been starting menses and developing earlier and earlier, some age 7 even.We buy either Safeway or Crystal both are from cows not treated with growth hormones (so they say)
The only organics we buy are ones where the normal product contains HFCS as the organics usually just contain plain old sugar, so I prefer that. It used to be ketchup and bread, but now lots of brands are using sugar instead of HFCS and advertise the fact on the front.
That is exactly why my daughter buys organic milk. My grand-daughter is 7 years old. It is very scary the way they have growth hormones in milk here. The quality of food (on the whole) is much better in the UK - none of the crap that is sold here. Also, on a different note, women's make-up has a lot more additives here than is allowed in the EU countries - that is why I buy Boots Number 7 products in Target.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

While I think it is very good to buy organic milk without the growth hormones, it is even better to move to a diet with much less milk and dairy product, eliminate the corn and refined flour and sugar, greatly reduce the red meat etc. I don't practice this myself; I love Ben & Gerry's for instance. I just think big government over here (the USDA) has totally perverted the American diet for generations. Maybe it was good in the thirties and forties to encourage kids who didn't get enough protein to drink milk by the glass and by the gallon, but we've moved on since then.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I shop on price and taste. If it tastes the same and is cheaper then I'll be getting that.

Some of our friends grow most of their own stuff and swear to us that it tastes a lot better....I tried it and couldn't really tell. But I was nice enough to lie and tell them it was amazing.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 4:44 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I shop on price and taste. If it tastes the same and is cheaper then I'll be getting that.
I mostly do this too. But 5 years ago I read in a study that most ordinary celery is chock-full of pesticide (by far the worst of any vegetable in the study), so since I love celery I often try to buy organic. Uusually organic celery's not as nice & fat as the regular celery, but I buy it anyway.

Now I'm worrying about milk. My Stop&Shop gallon has a little notation on the label that says "Our farmers pledge not to use artificial growth hormones." Hmmm...pledge?? Does that mean it's hormone-free or not? Who exactly holds these farmers to their "pledge"?

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 16th 2012 at 6:25 am.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on which item. I used to buy organic all the time but it went bad so quickly I ended up throwing it out a lot.

I buy organic meat and chicken - no growth thingies, hormone free, grass fed, promises that a limb won't fall off - and it's bloody expensive. BUT we only eat meat about once or twice a month so it's not too bad. Chicken we eat more often and cannot go back to the stuff I bought before, after tasting the organic stuff.

I wish I could grow my own tomatoes - the difference is unbelievable. I buy fresh tomatoes in bulk at Costco to make my sauce and when I do I cut them up and have to squeeze all the water out of them before roasting.

Organic tomatoes - oh my. Red, rosy and not even a touch of water. Sooo much flavour. But again, really expensive.

Last edited by toopie28; Sep 16th 2012 at 6:14 am.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 6:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by toopie28
Organic tomatoes - oh my. Red, rosy and not even a touch of water. Sooo much flavour. But again, really expensive.
We didn't have much of a vegetable garden this year since we were away in England for four weeks, June - July. But where we had the garden last year we had dozens.. Hundreds maybe.. Of nice healthy self sown volunteer tomatoes from last year. We are getting the best tomatoes, and they are going on and on. No late blight here, this year. They are several different varieties but they are all delicious!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We buy lots of our veggies from the organic section. I know they may be any different nutrition-wise from the conventional grown veggies, but we feel they are safer because of the lack of pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If there's a choice at TJ's, I'd guess 9 times out of 10 it's the organic produce that goes in the cart.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:33 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Organically grown Monsatan GM veg .... coming to, or at, a supermarket near you?!?!
Spoiler:

When inclined, I'll go to the local farmer's market. But, in the long run, we're all going to be dead so I don't give a huge weight to it; except when I'm thinking more about flavor.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:00 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

At the rate my daughter drinks milk I'd be homeless if I bought organic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.