Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually use the N on their gear shift ?

Does anyone actually use the N on their gear shift ?

Old May 7th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone actually use the N on their gear shift ?

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I only ask because I just noticed that mine seems superfluous to my needs
If you ever shift between drive and reverse, the sojourn through neutral is very nice to both the engine and the transmission. [Come to think about this, neutral serves this purpose when shifting a manual.] As others have noted, it is not normally used in everyday driving
Old May 7th 2010, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
Are you aware this is actually a bit dangerous? - The slowing for lights bit, sitting stationary in N is perfectly fine!

The car is designed to be driven in gear, its handling and braking performance is changed when not in gear. In fact when slowing for lights ahead, leaving it in gear would allow for some engine braking and so actually be a good thing. It would also allow you to quickly accelerate from trouble if needed.

If you want an easy way to see the difference, find a big open spot of land and drive in a big circle, then put it in N and watch the radius of the circle change.

However sometimes driving in N is valid. For instance in a big skid on ice N can save the day.
because slipping the stick from N to D takes oooh so long...
Old May 7th 2010, 4:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
Are you aware this is actually a bit dangerous? - The slowing for lights bit, sitting stationary in N is perfectly fine!

The car is designed to be driven in gear, its handling and braking performance is changed when not in gear. In fact when slowing for lights ahead, leaving it in gear would allow for some engine braking and so actually be a good thing. It would also allow you to quickly accelerate from trouble if needed.

If you want an easy way to see the difference, find a big open spot of land and drive in a big circle, then put it in N and watch the radius of the circle change.

However sometimes driving in N is valid. For instance in a big skid on ice N can save the day.
Surely it's similar to depressing the clutch when coming to a halt at the lights or a junction?
Old May 7th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Perhaps an ancestor of the "flappy paddles" that Clarkeson dislikes so much?
My mother learned to drive on a three on the floor and then drove several three in the tree cars. In the early 70's she found it difficult to drive my Type I Bug.

A three speed pattern was

R 2

1 3

With a four speed it was

1 3

R 2 4

Mom said she would just treat as if it was a three speed and I had to say "no."

She never got to drive a five speed. I know I was driven nuts because some 5's had 1 outside the H and others had 5 outside the H.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep. I'm a big fan of engine braking - saves wear on the brake pads, saves fuel, pisses off the guy behind you. Lovely.
I just learned recently that in the UK these days, you are taught not to use engine braking when coming to a stop, because of the wear on the clutch (which is much more expensive than replacing brake pads). I always useed to change down through the gears as I approached a turn, or stop, but that is apparently a big No-No these days.

I no longer use hand signals, either.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
because slipping the stick from N to D takes oooh so long...
...in the same way all accidents happen in ooooh so slow motion! Plus still doesn't account for the handling and braking effects, or the fact that you might want two hands on the wheel if trying to avoid an accident.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
Surely it's similar to depressing the clutch when coming to a halt at the lights or a junction?
Depends how far out or fast you are going when you do this.

Its one thing to dip the clutch to avoid stalling or change gear, its another thing to coast.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Meant to add, assuming your vehicle is not an old car or has a carb, you will use more fuel coasting.

With modern electronics, when not under load, the engine injects just enough fuel for combustion, as it is already being turned over. If you coast (clutch down) the engine now has to produce enough force to turn itself over, which uses more fuel.

Last edited by srefre; May 7th 2010 at 4:42 pm.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

There's an 'N' on the gear shift?!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
ROFLMAO!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hello you!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Commentator

I just learned recently that in the UK these days, you are taught not to use engine braking when coming to a stop, because of the wear on the clutch (which is much more expensive than replacing brake pads). I always useed to change down through the gears as I approached a turn, or stop, but that is apparently a big No-No these days.

I never downshifted while slowing down for a stop. However, I would downshift is I was slowing down for other than a stop. For example, I would downshift before a turn in order to accelerate through the turn or if I was going to be driving slower due to traffic up ahead. BTW, I have not owned a manual since 1987 and have driven stick only on rental cars.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by shazza777
LOL when I realized the terminology! I guess the better term would be "selector" for most cars. Our BMW is labeled PRND -- and from D one can move the selector to the left for "M/S" -- if you just stay to the left, it becomes "sport" but you move it forward for "+" or back for "-" for manual -- I only use the "S" mode in the mountains -- like climbing the Grapevine going south on Interstate 5.
Old May 7th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As for neutral, it's handy to coast and save petrol on hills and especially on streets which have rows of traffic lights which are always out of sequence, no point gunning it fully, just coast from light to light.
Stop doing this! Auto transmissions are not designed to run disengaged - and can be quite severely damaged by doing so (this is why you should never tow an automatic with it's drive wheels on the ground). Not only can the clutch bands be wrecked (which are quite expensive to replace), it can also destroy the torque converter, which relies on transmission fluid being pumped into it by the control module, only when it is in 'drive' mode. A new converter can run to $.$$$'s.

As for engine braking, I'm no fan - despite being taught to drive that way in the late 70's. Consumable brake parts (pads, rotors etc) are a damn sight cheaper to relpace than drivetrain components like transmissions, differentials and clutches/converters, which get hammered by engine braking.
Old May 7th 2010, 6:23 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
As for engine braking, I'm no fan - despite being taught to drive that way in the late 70's. Consumable brake parts (pads, rotors etc) are a damn sight cheaper to relpace than drivetrain components like transmissions, differentials and clutches/converters, which get hammered by engine braking.
Well then! It seems that the received wisdom has changed since I last had a car.

I guess I shall have to try to cut down on my engine braking. Perhaps I'll become a true Texan, alternately hammering the throttle and the brake pedal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.