Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does anybody leave the USA?

Does anybody leave the USA?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 12:11 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody leave the USA?

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
exvj, I don't know what to say. My thoughts are with you and I'll say a prayer for you and your family tonight.

My deepest condolences.
ta Dave much appreciated
My dad died 14 years ago and i handled it ok even though I vastly admired him.
But never seeing my mum again is a bigger blow than I expected.
I will look on the bright side of life and realise that at 94.5 years of age , if she had survived pneumonia, she might well have died soon of something even worse and longer drawn out. Positive thinking !
I was over in England 6 weeks ago and took lots of photos of her and me with my new camera so I will treasure those

Last edited by exvj; Apr 1st 2009 at 1:13 am.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

texasmags is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Does anybody leave the USA?

Yes I have recently moved back to Scotland from the USA after 31 years of being in good old Texas. Family health issues. Can any one tell me how easy it is to get back into the USA after I have Abandoned my Green Card?
Any advice will be helpful
texasmags
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texasmags
Yes I have recently moved back to Scotland from the USA after 31 years of being in good old Texas. Family health issues. Can any one tell me how easy it is to get back into the USA after I have Abandoned my Green Card?
texasmags
How long have you been out of the US?

Moving to the US is very difficult for most...take a look at this and see if you fit into any of the categories. If you don't...marriage to a USC is the only way.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Your situation is the very reason why we advise people to get citizenship before they return home.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

texasmags
JerseyGirl has mentioned the important points.

When did you leave the US/abandon your GC?
How did you acquire your GC?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:57 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

texasmags
and how did you abandon your GC ? Did you send it back the official way ?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:34 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's me but how could anyone even think about going back to Texas if they had moved back to the UK and could live in a place as beautiful as Scotland?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Maybe it's me but how could anyone even think about going back to Texas if they had moved back to the UK and could live in a place as beautiful as Scotland?
I have the answer Joe- In a word - January ! Never lived in Texas but I imagine that being fried and tornadoed and hurricaned and republicaned to death is still fractionally less depressing than Govan in January

I love the West from the tip of Cornwall to the Isle of Skye (with a gap from Angelsey to the Solway) but not impressed with any of the East of the UK.

By the time I get back I will need a Scottish green card or passport anyway as the Picts will have got independence. But all this free old folk's care and stuff the Scots have wangled out of the English sounds wonderful. Keep your million pound house and have free nursing home care care too ? superb. Free university etc etc - yes the Jimmies extracted a high price from the English as a bribe not to go independent

If I return as a gerry-hat-trick, a place twixt Sterling and Edinburgh would do for me. I would hibernate in Tenerife Nov-April then the Scottish summer is beautiful (sometimes)

Most of the folk in the tourist areas are English b&B owners or ozzy barmen so I wouldnt be too foreign there

think I will swot up on Scottish residency requirements just in case - hope I don't have to pass the conversational gaelic, knobbly knee and kilt test - but not scared of the medical as nothing is worn under the kilt - its all in good condition
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob could you provide a link to the wiki? I could find the definitions of being an LPR.

Thanks.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:55 pm
Banned

I could find the definitions of being an LPR.

When your fingers fall off - that's when you know you are a LPR
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

texasmags is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Does anybody leave the USA?

JerseyGirl has mentioned the important points.

When did you leave the US/abandon your GC?
How did you acquire your GC?
I left the USA in June 2008 haven't given up my GC up yet but wanted to know how easy it was to get back in to USA once I have let the year passed.
I acquired my GC through marriage.

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I left the USA in June 2008 haven't given up my GC up yet but wanted to know how easy it was to get back in to USA once I have let the year passed.

Thanks
Maybe you could come back for a while and file the paperwork needed to leave the country for more than an year, then you won't have to worry about trying to get another.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Maybe you could come back for a while and file the paperwork needed to leave the country for more than an year, then you won't have to worry about trying to get another.
that still doesn't guarantee they'll let you back in though...and time out of the country dings the continous presence towards citizenship...
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
that still doesn't guarantee they'll let you back in though...and time out of the country dings the continous presence towards citizenship...
just delays that - doesn't kill it
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:41 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
I have the answer Joe- In a word - January ! Never lived in Texas but I imagine that being fried and tornadoed and hurricaned and republicaned to death is still fractionally less depressing than Govan in January

I love the West from the tip of Cornwall to the Isle of Skye (with a gap from Angelsey to the Solway) but not impressed with any of the East of the UK.

By the time I get back I will need a Scottish green card or passport anyway as the Picts will have got independence. But all this free old folk's care and stuff the Scots have wangled out of the English sounds wonderful. Keep your million pound house and have free nursing home care care too ? superb. Free university etc etc - yes the Jimmies extracted a high price from the English as a bribe not to go independent

If I return as a gerry-hat-trick, a place twixt Sterling and Edinburgh would do for me. I would hibernate in Tenerife Nov-April then the Scottish summer is beautiful (sometimes)

Most of the folk in the tourist areas are English b&B owners or ozzy barmen so I wouldnt be too foreign there

think I will swot up on Scottish residency requirements just in case - hope I don't have to pass the conversational gaelic, knobbly knee and kilt test - but not scared of the medical as nothing is worn under the kilt - its all in good condition

LOL!!
You're too funny!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Looks like you have a couple of options, but I would contact and immigration advisor and see what they say.

First, as has been said, you may still be able to go back to the US and file the re-entry permit, or whatever it's really called and that would give you a grace period of upto two year, but the burden of proof that you hadn't abandoned the GC would still be on you.

Second, you could go back to the US and see if you qualified for citizenship.

Third, if you are still married to the US citizen, in the future they could sponsor you again.

I think you have to ask yourself, how you would feel if you lost your ability to reside in the US and how much it means to you. Then you can see if your current situation allows you to take any action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.