Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you watch the Oscars?

Do you watch the Oscars?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you watch the Oscars?

Originally Posted by Rushman
No he don't...he looks like the absolute nutter he really is.
He's a legend...
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:29 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched for a while, but turned off when I heard the words "and coming up, Celine Dion...."

And the little bits of trivia for each winner was bloody annoying too. Nice to see that Helen won though.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:25 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I watched for a while, but turned off when I heard the words "and coming up, Celine Dion....".
I turned the volume way down after 30 seconds of her. She was CRAP! I hate hate hate the songs she sings to, but think (thought, rather) she had an amazing voice. No more! She was shit tonight. Must be the influence of Vegas, making her do a half-arsed job? She didn't belt it out like she usually does. Jennifer Hudson ran rings around her.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
I turned the volume way down after 30 seconds of her. She was CRAP! I hate hate hate the songs she sings to, but think (thought, rather) she had an amazing voice. No more! She was shit tonight. Must be the influence of Vegas, making her do a half-arsed job? She didn't belt it out like she usually does. Jennifer Hudson ran rings around her.
I think Celine has a great voice...as long as I don't have to see her or look at her husband.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not really my thing. My wife however, loves to watch them. Unfortunately for her, we only get two T.V. channels and neither one is the one with the Oscars on. So I guess it's kind of moot.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Nope, not really my thing. My wife however, loves to watch them. Unfortunately for her, we only get two T.V. channels and neither one is the one with the Oscars on. So I guess it's kind of moot.
Why only Two
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:40 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

We watched a few mins of it and then got bored with all the adverts and quit watching tv. Seemed very low key compared to the days Billy Crystal did it.

I didn't like the movie Queen too much, seemed more like a tv docudrama, but Mirren was brilliant.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
LMAO - the OH put Celine on mute in our house. I wonder how many other folk done the same thing!
Must admit I was dreading it when I heard Ellen was hosting but I did have a chuckle at some of her dribble!
Pleased to see Helen Mirren and Forest Whittaker winning! He was great in the current series of ER - a great actor!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Why only Two
The closest city with T.V. stations is Quincy, IL which is about 50 mi away and our "rabbit ear" antenna only picks up two channels. Cable isn't available in our area and we don't want to pay for satellite, although the previous owners of our house had the dish and wiring installed. I do have an outdoor tower antenna that a friend gave us but it's been two years and I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. It might give us another channel or two.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Its always boring mate...well atleast until about the last half hour
aye, and I couldn't be arsed to wait that long
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

The closest city with T.V. stations is Quincy, IL which is about 50 mi away and our "rabbit ear" antenna only picks up two channels. Cable isn't available in our area and we don't want to pay for satellite, although the previous owners of our house had the dish and wiring installed. I do have an outdoor tower antenna that a friend gave us but it's been two years and I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. It might give us another channel or two.
Well I never your the first American I've ever heard say that or dose not have a big f**koff TV
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by britvic
Well I never your the first American I've ever heard say that or dose not have a big f**koff TV
Our "big" TV is downstairs hooked to the VCR/DVD, it's a 19" model. Actually, for a while after we got married we had no TV. Once people found out, they started giving us their old ones. You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, we have four TVs in the house, three of which have antennas and the "movie" TV in the basement. All were given to us by people who couldn't stand the thought of us going without. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have any except the movie TV but my wife is one of those that has to have it on "for noise" and does like to watch a few shows. I won't be in the same room when it's on, I prefer doing something useful or at least reading a book.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:47 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Our "big" TV is downstairs hooked to the VCR/DVD, it's a 19" model. Actually, for a while after we got married we had no TV. Once people found out, they started giving us their old ones. You have no idea how much it pains me to say this, we have four TVs in the house, three of which have antennas and the "movie" TV in the basement. All were given to us by people who couldn't stand the thought of us going without. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have any except the movie TV but my wife is one of those that has to have it on "for noise" and does like to watch a few shows. I won't be in the same room when it's on, I prefer doing something useful or at least reading a book.
Feel the same way about TV but my OH would not do without it. I love to read. Our 2 TV's are 13 and 14 years old respectively and I think maybe 20" screens? I did compromise with satellite although was perfectly happy with PBS but no 60" TV's in this house!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:56 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

The only award ceremony we watch in our house, I've always loved the movies since I was a kid.
Ellen was okay, in her interview with Barbara Walters she seemed down to earth, and yet another abused celebrity ( step Dad).
Best: Helen Mirren, Jennifer Lopez, Gwyneth Paltrow( she looked hot) and Leonardo Di Caprio, I used to think he was just a pretty boy, but I he's got some good movies under his belt and seems pretty humble.
Worst: Jack Nicholson as a fat bald oaf, Philip Seymour Hoffman with a bad dye job on his eyebrows, they were huge and ginger. Cameron Diaz looked like a $3 hooker in an ice cream cone.

Best bits The tribute to Ennio Morricone and his music.The poignant obituaries from 2006. I didn't realize that Jack Wild the Artful Dodger in Oliver died last year;

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0928349/

Throat cancer and he was only 54.

Helen Mirren's acceptance speech saluting the Queen in front of an American audience was a little ironic (Psssttt..... they had a little disagreement with an English king and formed a republic over 200 years ago Helen)

I saw both Babel and The Departed and thought Babel could have tipped the scale as Best Picture, but The Departed was good too.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I got bored when the old git, was it Marconi something when he came on with Clint doing the translation? but managed to see Jennifer Hudson I was so pleased for her I got a bit choked up and teary that was the highlight of the night for me.
Nodded off before the end it was too riverting for me to sustain the excitment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.