Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you have a pet in the USA? Expenses, etc.

Do you have a pet in the USA? Expenses, etc.

Old May 10th 2012, 10:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a pet in the USA? Expenses, etc.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Aside from food and treats ,I don't believe my dogs care is more than $200 per year averaged. She is 11 years old, no problems.
Hmmm, I assume she's had no health problems as of yet. Once again, you seem to lead a charmed life, Beaverstate. I'm remembering that you're the person who pays $1K for the 4 bed house with the landlord who wouldn't dream of raising your rent.

Originally Posted by crg
I love my dog, and have had him for over 9 years, but he is expensive.

Expenses include, vet visits, allergies, monthly heartworm preventitives, annual heart worm test, vaccinations, monthly flea preventitive, pest control for the home if the parasites come into the home, dog food, fish oil for his food, ear medicine, toys, treats, joint supplements, damage to your home, care when you are out of town, cleaning the hair out of the car, special vacuum cleaners and travel all cost money. . . .

I should have kept track, but I bet I've spent roughly $15,000 over 9 years.
I believe it. It's a little daunting when you look at the bald figures up front like that. . . . .

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm sure that there are opportunities to volunteer in most parts of the state. The nonprofit I work with helps at the town pound, but there are also organizations like this:

http://www.cthumane.org/site/PageSer..._opportunities
This organization, the CT Humane Society, wants a six-month commitment for dog-walkers & cat-cuddlers, so I may have to wait till I know a bit more about where we'll be settling. But it's good to know they'll train me to walk & cuddle.

Last edited by WEBlue; May 10th 2012 at 10:17 pm.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:12 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 large breed dogs, 5 indoor cats, 1 barn cat, 5 horses, and 1 mule. Had until this evening. We just acquired another large breed dog (puppy) that was dumped on our rural road.

We live on a small ranch with fenced acreage and a large farm house, so we made room for one more. My wife is a veterinarian, and still the cost is astounding. From regular preventive treatments to unexpected ailments, the costs just mount.

Consider a trip to the ER will run you anywhere from a few hundred to ten thousand in a heart beat.

Vacations involve finding a trusted vet tech who is willing to house sit the ranch and all the furries.

Expenses are all relative. Some people believe 'natural' (natural to what exactly??) feed should be fed and are willing to pay extra for the belief they are helping Fido. If you live in the country you should really vaccinate for rabies, we do but our neighbor does not. Some people naively think you don't need to use a heart worm preventative because Tiddles is an indoor cat (because mosquitos respect this and will not enter the house, right?).

Anyway, your expenses will vary. There is no fixed formula.

Some of our indoor pets have had little more than their FrontLine, Rabies vaccines, and yearly blood work; others have had thousands in work. Horses need shoes, teeth floats, supplements depending on whether they are in training or out to pasture. There is no guarantee what a pet could end up costing you. To my wife, the outlay is irrelevant compared to the immense rewards they bring. To me, I've had many a sleepless night knowing what we were spending. But thats marriage, she gets her way and I say "yes dear". Happy wife, happy life.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:52 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmmm, I assume she's had no health problems as of yet. Once again, you seem to lead a charmed life, Beaverstate. I'm remembering that you're the person who pays $1K for the 4 bed house with the landlord who wouldn't dream of raising your rent.

I believe it. It's a little daunting when you look at the bald figures up front like that. . . . .

This organization, the CT Humane Society, wants a six-month commitment for dog-walkers & cat-cuddlers, so I may have to wait till I know a bit more about where we'll be settling. But it's good to know they'll train me to walk & cuddle.
Food and treats run about $75 per month which comes to $900 per year plus the extras = $1,100. Didn't want to seem misleading.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:28 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Anyway, your expenses will vary. There is no fixed formula.

Some of our indoor pets have had little more than their FrontLine, Rabies vaccines, and yearly blood work; others have had thousands in work. . . .There is no guarantee what a pet could end up costing you. To my wife, the outlay is irrelevant compared to the immense rewards they bring. To me, I've had many a sleepless night knowing what we were spending. . . .
Yes, it strikes me that having a pet is very like having a child. Several of you have said this. The thing about having a child is that IF you were to look at the event in terms of a logical choice--balancing the pros & the cons--you might not be able to do it. In fact, I've had younger relatives who made up a pro-con list, but IMO that was because they *didn't* want children & wanted to show others that they'd "thought" their choice through.

Most of our past pets just came to us, no choice & no logic involved. Our first pet was actually my husband's family's ancient dog, which his father couldn't keep when the family house was sold. So in a way my husband started the whole pet thing!!! After that cranky old dog died, *I* found the second dog at the pet shelter because the kids & I missed a dog in the house. And all our cats (6 altogether) just arrived on the doorstep--no one ever "chose" them. All the pets were loved, some being special pals of one child or another, or me, & each contributed immensely to our family --even the extremely shy cat who spent the first year either under our daughter's bed or up on the roof. But they weren't "choices", just natural parts of life as it was then. . .
Old May 11th 2012, 1:57 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
Thousand Oaks. I'd love too - my husband won't

Something to do with the cream colour carpet I insisted on.

Where are you? If we ever get one then there will be no excuse.
We are considering a move to TO, we have an almost 12 year old beautiful golden - if we moved maybe we could doggy sit for each other
Old May 11th 2012, 1:58 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
****ing twat. I hope someone does the same to you, should you get sick.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:48 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RICH
My philosophy is , if they get sick put then down.
Glad you've got that sorted.

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Sorry to hear that about 'stockings' ... we're fostering another dog now - had her for just a few weeks. She's 16, blind in 1 eye, has various other minor ailments. Her vet bills are taken care of by the rescue shelter we fostered her from. All she wants is some TLC and a place to chill out. She can't have any more ops, the anaesthetic would kill her, but she's a dear ol' soul and we enjoy her company.
Thanks Harry. What a wonderful thing you are doing with your new foster dog. For some unknown reason, I have always wanted to take care of a blind animal. My POV is that no matter what we spend on our critters, we are then rewarded a million times over with love and devotion.

Our last pet, the older cat my friend had to give up because her toddler twins were terrorizing it, was a bit of a wedge between us. DH didn't approve of my taking her.
You did the right thing, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by thinbrit
We had 4 large breed dogs, 5 indoor cats, 1 barn cat, 5 horses, and 1 mule. Had until this evening. We just acquired another large breed dog (puppy) that was dumped on our rural road.
I'd like to pistol-whip anyone who dumps an animal. (Not really, I'm not violent, but this really gets my goat.)

Most of our past pets just came to us, no choice & no logic involved.
Ours too. Our cats just showed up in our backyard and never left.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:42 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Fostering sounds like an excellent alternative for us.
I really respect people who can foster pets, but I could never do it. The pain of handing the animals back to someone else would be unbearable.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:57 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Primula
I really respect people who can foster pets, but I could never do it. The pain of handing the animals back to someone else would be unbearable.
I know, I know!! That would be the horrible part of it.

But it may be the only alternative that my dear husband will accept. A non-expensive pet (because all vet expenses are paid) who will eventually leave. . . . It's dreadfully sad, but it may be the only alternative. We'll see.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:20 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I know!! That would be the horrible part of it.

But it may be the only alternative that my dear husband will accept. A non-expensive pet (because all vet expenses are paid) who will eventually leave. . . . It's dreadfully sad, but it may be the only alternative. We'll see.
Or it could get you a full time dog. I have some friends, whose dog was bit by a rattlesnake and died. One of them wanted another dog, the other said no, it's too heartbreaking. They eventually decided to foster, and the first dog they got, they both fell in love with and adopted
Old May 12th 2012, 12:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by N1cky
the first dog they got, they both fell in love with and adopted
Good point, but not all fosters are available for adoption. Sometimes the pet is adopted, but for a future date, and needs fostering temporarily.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:42 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by N1cky
Or it could get you a full time dog. I have some friends, whose dog was bit by a rattlesnake and died. One of them wanted another dog, the other said no, it's too heartbreaking. They eventually decided to foster, and the first dog they got, they both fell in love with and adopted
This would be my secret hope.

Good point, but not all fosters are available for adoption. Sometimes the pet is adopted, but for a future date, and needs fostering temporarily.
This would be my secret fear.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

This is the first time we have fostered. The last dog we got from the same Sanctuary we actually adopted and she was 13 years old. We came to love her dearly but unfortunately 6 months later she went downhill fast and within a week we found out she had stomach cancer and it was terminal - we had to make that awful decision to put her to sleep. Horrible. The Sanctuary we help takes in only older dogs and older dogs with special needs. It is always difficult for the rescues to adopt out older and special needs dogs because people don't want the expense, etc. So, as Harry the Spider said, we are now fostering for the first time, and at her age, we can't see anyone wanting to adopt her so she is probably with us until her end of days, so to speak. If someone comes forward to adopt then we will cross that bridge then.

Mrs H the S
Old May 12th 2012, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

We are generally lucky with our original three girls we brought over with us to the US Just the usual heartworm tablets, vaccinations annually; especially rabies (needed for licence). Food, a big bag lasts 2 months and costs us $48 from the Vet (it is a weight control one).

Having said this, the one we adopted last year suddenly had all sorts go wrong. Eye problem, not eating, then stomach cancer diagnosis (ultrasounds, hospital admissions, etc). We do not have insurance coverage; instead we have something called Care Credit which we find very useful. At least then you are not paying out premiums for insurance you either (a) never use or (b) something happens and the company refuses to pay out, grr.

All in all I would say the veterinary costs are pretty much on a par with back in the UK.

Mrs H the S
Old May 14th 2012, 7:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Britishbees
we have something called Care Credit which we find very useful
Can you tell us something about Care Credit if you have time?

I do think what you and Harry are doing is pretty amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.