Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:27 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
that pisses me off with America (not having a go but the attitude you see nowadays), it seams that if you disagree with someone's view the automatic answer is well leave then. to which I just want to then punch them in the face.
And you haven't even moved here yet .....
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you consider yourself to be living in a free'er country with more freedom?

Originally Posted by Mangaboy84
that pisses me off with America (not having a go but the attitude you see nowadays), it seams that if you disagree with someone's view the automatic answer is well leave then. to which I just want to then punch them in the face.
To be fair, I haven't heard that since being over here. I heard it a lot back home, and my Facebook page has a couple of these type of posts from friends who have decided to share something from Britiain First or whatever they are called.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
To be fair, I haven't heard that since being over here. I heard it a lot back home, and my Facebook page has a couple of these type of posts from friends who have decided to share something from Britiain First or whatever they are called.
I misread that as Britain's Fist initially. I guess the punching attitude adjusted what my brain was reading.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't much practical difference between the amount of freedom (or lack thereof) in the US when compared to most of the Western European nations.

Sure, on paper, the US has freedom of speech written into its constitution while, on paper, the UK still has some rather dubious restrictions (can you say "super injunction") but in practice it doesn't really seem to make much difference.

While the EU could be accused of "over regulation" at least they were seeking to impose the *same* regulations everywhere, while the US has multiple tiers of regulation from the Federal Government down through the states and cities which make life unnecessarily complex for everyone.

From a civil liberties perspective the US has some big systemic problems that it seems to be unable or unwilling to tackle. While the UK is far from perfect I would rather be black in the UK than in any state in the US.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

At least in the UK I could file a dispute with my credit card company without being threatened with a felony by a jumped up Chief of Police.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:55 am
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And you haven't even moved here yet .....
Im sure there will be other things i disagree with after i land but #yolo the joys of emigrating to a new country, new things to learn

Originally Posted by markonline1
That's mostly where i've seen it too, i have a few friends dotted about in the states and when you read some of the status that get liked/shared that are basically conservative in nature and start reading the comments I just end up wondering really, is this real or just a bunch of trolls.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 12:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
At least in the UK I could file a dispute with my credit card company without being threatened with a felony by a jumped up Chief of Police.
Very true; not only is the U.S. a police state, but it's an erratic and over politicised police state. We have a District Attorney here whose main election platform was that she was going to try a specific individual for a specific murder that occurred several years ago.

Well, the trial just ended, he was found not guilty, since there was only circumstantial evidence (the police had screwed up, contaminated the crime scene, failed to collect evidence etc.)

How does the DA react? Oh, she knows he's the murderer. She knew it from day one ... which is why the police didn't pursue any other leads...
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I can ride a motorbike without a helmet here. Freedumb baby!
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:34 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
aka "organ donor" in our house....
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kins
You must be in one of those States furthest from the ocean

Map of motorcyle helmet laws
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You must be in one of those States furthest from the ocean
Maine?
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

One of my pet hates is how we are quizzed when entering the US as US citizens by road. Yesterday...where do you live...where have you been...why are you coming back to the US...where are you going...how long for?

Land of the free indeed.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One of my pet hates is how we are quizzed when entering the US as US citizens by road. Yesterday...where do you live...where have you been...why are you coming back to the US...where are you going...how long for?

Land of the free indeed.
Doesn't seem to be the same coming back by air. I thought I was going to get at least a handful of questions coming back through Calgary on Monday but the immigration guy just scanned my passport while continuing his conversation with the Calgary policeman who was hanging out in immigration, then handed me my passport and said I was good to go. Perhaps that's a benefit of the new automated systems but I'm sure they asked us more stuff coming back into Chicago from Dublin. Maybe they didn't. Canadian immigration in Toronto barely looked at me either, it was weird to see immigration officials so relaxed. Though Dublin was the best, they couldn't stamp our passports quickly enough - must have been the end of her shift

Still, seems a bit needless to ask US citizens all those questions when they're just returning home.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Doesn't seem to be the same coming back by air. I thought I was going to get at least a handful of questions coming back through Calgary on Monday but the immigration guy just scanned my passport while continuing his conversation with the Calgary policeman who was hanging out in immigration, then handed me my passport and said I was good to go. Perhaps that's a benefit of the new automated systems but I'm sure they asked us more stuff coming back into Chicago from Dublin. Maybe they didn't. Canadian immigration in Toronto barely looked at me either, it was weird to see immigration officials so relaxed. Though Dublin was the best, they couldn't stamp our passports quickly enough - must have been the end of her shift

Still, seems a bit needless to ask US citizens all those questions when they're just returning home.
It doesn't that's why I stated it was by land. It's not a one off...it always used to happen. Not so much now as we have NEXUS but yesterday we had non NEXUS citizens in the car so we were unable to use NEXUS.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 1:34 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It doesn't that's why I stated it was by land. It's not a one off...it always used to happen. Not so much now as we have NEXUS but yesterday we had non NEXUS citizens in the car so we were unable to use NEXUS.
I mean, I can see why - all those Canadians so desperate to come to America and bankrupt themselves getting sick, so they all sneak in via the boots of US citizens' cars, right ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.