Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Disposable pets ... a tragedy that doesn't get the press it deserves

Wikiposts

Disposable pets ... a tragedy that doesn't get the press it deserves

Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disposable pets ... a tragedy that doesn't get the press it deserves

If you're in S. Florida, this moggie needs a home (sad story): http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...ry/339991.html
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:15 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Disposable pets ... a tragedy that doesn't get the press it deserves

Originally Posted by Zoot
....as I was talking to the lady, I expressed that my biggest concern is that people will take these animals for Christmas, only to turn around again and put them back into a shelter.
Yes, that's my concern too. When we went to the local animal shelter, they had just had a special event trying to get people to adopt a pet so that all the pets could go home for Christmas. It did cross my mind that some of the "Christmas" pets may later be returned. My kids know that I will never buy them a pet for birthdays or Christmas and that we all have to meet the prospective pet and agree as a family to adopt said pet, which is what we did with both our cats.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7211538.stm

Very unusual moggy up for adoption in Pennsylvania....

My heart's breaking again for all the unwanted pets. I chanced across a news headline in our local news, that dogs will stop being "dragged to euthanasia" -- I couldn't bear to read it but assume that they will be treated more kindly near their end.

I want to cry, but the tears won't come. All I can do is be thankful for the tender-hearted and responsible people who've taken in pets and made sure they were spayed/neutered.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7211538.stm

Very unusual moggy up for adoption in Pennsylvania....

My heart's breaking again for all the unwanted pets. I chanced across a news headline in our local news, that dogs will stop being "dragged to euthanasia" -- I couldn't bear to read it but assume that they will be treated more kindly near their end.

I want to cry, but the tears won't come. All I can do is be thankful for the tender-hearted and responsible people who've taken in pets and made sure they were spayed/neutered.
Everyone who feels this way needs to speak up too. Pets from petstores are not okay. Having kittens or puppies because you think it would be 'neat' is not okay. Encouraging backyard breeders or buying a puppy from "puppies for sale" etc. online is not okay.

Can you tell I feel strongly about this?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:40 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

im with you all the way on pet stores. My OH wants a dog and i have so far refused as i was at work all day and i didnt think it was fair to leave them alone all day. If we do ever get one - i want a shelter animal not some fancy pedigree anyway.

One of my particular pet peeves is dyeing fish. You do see it in pet shops in the uk with dyed fish but its usuallly trying to make plain fish look like a more exotic variety. Here we have seen small fish with polka dots or love hearts drawn on them. Its vile and they shouldnt be allowed to do it.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
im with you all the way on pet stores. My OH wants a dog and i have so far refused as i was at work all day and i didnt think it was fair to leave them alone all day. If we do ever get one - i want a shelter animal not some fancy pedigree anyway.

One of my particular pet peeves is dyeing fish. You do see it in pet shops in the uk with dyed fish but its usuallly trying to make plain fish look like a more exotic variety. Here we have seen small fish with polka dots or love hearts drawn on them. Its vile and they shouldnt be allowed to do it.
I've never heard of such a thing! I agree, that's ridiculous, but I'm against docking tails, ears, or applying dye to fur, etc.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:03 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Kittens should be drowned at birth. That way, there wouldn't be so many cats waiting to be adopted.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Kittens should be drowned at birth. That way, there wouldn't be so many cats waiting to be adopted.
Oh Redlippie - my orange cat just hissed at you. Tsk tsk.