Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:13 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Originally Posted by Bink View Post
I've found the same. I don't think there's anyway you can hit 10,000 steps at a desk job on an average day unless you go out of your way to hit it.
If I could walk on my lunch break, instead of using my lunch break to get daughter from school in the car, I might be able to do it.

I think I'm going to make my aim 70,000 steps a week, rather than 10,000 a day, that might be more achievable
Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:37 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
If I could walk on my lunch break, instead of using my lunch break to get daughter from school in the car, I might be able to do it.

I think I'm going to make my aim 70,000 steps a week, rather than 10,000 a day, that might be more achievable
this article backs up what you are saying Nicky. I was wondering where 10,000 steps came from.
The Truth About '10,000 Steps' a Day
Old Feb 26th 2015, 4:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I went the easiest route by just eliminating processed foods and sugar, and down to 221 as of this morning, about 12 pounds lost since this round started a few weeks ago.

No clue of my calorie intake as I am horrible at tracking and using the websites, so I just eliminated all the bad stuff from my diet.

I eat a smallish breakfast of oatmeal with some fruit and I throw in an egg a few times a week.

I snack on a variety of cheap veggies like carrots, and snap peas and the like.

Dinner varies and I kind of eat whatever, tonight was a small frozen pizza, I do know it had 700 calories, or chicken with some veggies.

Long term no clue how successful it will be for me, but weight has come off.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:14 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm down 8lbs since the new year just by eating a little less and walking more. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week normally too. I'm not one for "diets" as I'm the sort of guy who will enjoy a burger and then some ice cream. I'm really not a salad type.

My wife has had her ups and downs with weight. She started a "keto diet" at the beginning of this month and she's already lost 15 lbs. It's actually quite amazing the difference she has noticed. Plus it's a diet she can follow too as you can still actually eat nice things like bacon and cheese.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I went the easiest route by just eliminating processed foods and sugar, and down to 221 as of this morning, about 12 pounds lost since this round started a few weeks ago.

No clue of my calorie intake as I am horrible at tracking and using the websites, so I just eliminated all the bad stuff from my diet.

I eat a smallish breakfast of oatmeal with some fruit and I throw in an egg a few times a week.

I snack on a variety of cheap veggies like carrots, and snap peas and the like.

Dinner varies and I kind of eat whatever, tonight was a small frozen pizza, I do know it had 700 calories, or chicken with some veggies.

Long term no clue how successful it will be for me, but weight has come off.
Wow, good for you!

As for raw veggie snacks, I wish celery weren't so expensive--I used to love it with a bit of Marmite. Carrots are about the cheapest here. Yellow & red bell peppers are less pricey than the green ones, so I get a bag & slice those up for snacks too.

Edamame are now available frozen in some supermarkets around here--I don't even cook them, just thaw & eat out of the bag raw--delicious!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:13 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue View Post
Wow, good for you!

As for raw veggie snacks, I wish celery weren't so expensive--I used to love it with a bit of Marmite. Carrots are about the cheapest here. Yellow & red bell peppers are less pricey than the green ones, so I get a bag & slice those up for snacks too.

Edamame are now available frozen in some supermarkets around here--I don't even cook them, just thaw & eat out of the bag raw--delicious!
Pickles have 0 calories!!! down 13 lbs in 4 weeks.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 1:41 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

So 4,500 steps yesterday just pottering around the house and a small trip for groceries. I am surprised I did so many!!. I got the cheapest fitbit, the fitbit zip to see if I would actually use it or not. Now to sort out the diet
Old Feb 26th 2015, 2:31 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue View Post
Wow, good for you!

We buy frozen Edamame from Kroger - $1.99 - and steam it in the microwave for 5 mins and then dry fry it in the pan with a pinch of salt for a minute or two. Delicious and mini-Bink (3 y.o boy) goes crazy for them which is awesome.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
But they are gross.....
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:56 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
But they are gross.....
Pickles are supposed to be good for the digestion, authorities now say:
Can Pickles, Sauerkraut and Fermented Foods Make You Healthier? | Grace Suh, L.Ac., Dipl.O.M.

Fermented vinegary products like kimchi and dill pickles are pro-biotic and can help sort out your gut so it operates in a healthy way that enhances your health.

Only thing to worry about, apparently, is that many pickles contain a fair amount of sodium, so moderation is best--just a few a day.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:39 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Target to get a fitbit today and I was just going to buy the flex but they are selling the next one up (charge) for the same price. It's last year's model but I don't care. Downside is that now I have a fitbit that can sync with a phone....but not mine apparently! First world problems eh?