Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:26 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

I have some good soup recipes that are easy and cheap if you want them, pm me with your email address and I'll send you them.
Frozen veggies are great. I'll use frozen green beans over so-called "fresh" ones anyday.
What's the cost of tinned fish like up there? Tinned tuna is great for lunches but I find it quite pricey down here.
Oatmeal is my breakfast too, but with milk nothing else unless it's the weekend and hubby pours a bit of whiskey over it (leftover from Scotland days!).

I would say walking is great exercise for you. Have you looked at amazon.com for delivery of household stuff?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
but with milk nothing else unless it's the weekend and hubby pours a bit of whiskey over it (leftover from Scotland days!).
You lived in Scotland?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:06 am
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Frozen veggies are great. I'll use frozen green beans over so-called "fresh" ones anyday.
I have an el cheapo life hack for this. A local fruit and vegetable store by me sells produce "uglies" in big boxes. They're bruised, soft and unworthy of being sold at full retail, so I get 7 lbs. or so for $2.

If it's green peppers, I clean, slice and freeze them with onions for fajitas. Tomatoes I chop in the food processor, cook for 10 minutes and freeze. Apples and other fruits are cooked and frozen in containers. You'd be surprised how nice and convenient it is to defrost a frozen container of delicious applesauce.

Last edited by manekeniko; Jan 29th 2015 at 11:17 am.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You lived in Scotland?
Aye!
South Lanarkshire for 8 years. First 2 kids were born there. First house was about a mile away from Carstairs....... Which I didn't know about until I drove past it on my way to Edinburgh about 3 days after moving in. Then I had a visit from the local police to advise me on what to do if I heard "the siren"! Oh dear, suddenly all those gorgeous floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides of the living room seemed like a scene from a potential horror movie!!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:17 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manekeniko
If it's green peppers, I clean, slice and freeze them with onions for fajitas. Tomatoes I chop in the food processor, cook for 10 minutes and freeze. Apples and other fruits are cooked and frozen in containers. You'd be surprised how nice and convenient it is to defrost a frozen container of delicious applesauce.
I do this too. Anything that's getting a bit old in the vegetable drawer of the fridge gets sliced/chopped, sautéed briefly, and stuffed in labeled ziplock bags for the freezer.

Chopped sautéed old cabbage, carrots, celery, even lettuce (except for iceberg)--they can all be pulled out of the freezer & thrown in the soup or bean pot.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Aye!
South Lanarkshire for 8 years. First 2 kids were born there. First house was about a mile away from Carstairs....... Which I didn't know about until I drove past it on my way to Edinburgh about 3 days after moving in. Then I had a visit from the local police to advise me on what to do if I heard "the siren"! Oh dear, suddenly all those gorgeous floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides of the living room seemed like a scene from a potential horror movie!!
Airdrie
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:07 pm
Austin. TX.

Airdrie
Hey! Practically neighbours....

We were in Strathaven for 6.5 years.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey! Practically neighbours....

We were in Strathaven for 6.5 years.
Mmmm Strathaven Toffee...
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:49 pm
Austin. TX.

Mmmm Strathaven Toffee...
TOFFEE!!!!

Tablet.......they're never going to let you move back now

I miss the bakers in Strathaven, I think I spent half my life in their coffee shop.
Many of the Motorola/Freescale people working in East Kilbride have moved out to Austin, so I'm reunited with some old friends now.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:57 pm
Austin. TX.

Back on subject....last night I went out to a TexMex resto and decided to try a chimichanga with queso sauce because I hadn't had one of those before. Then I came home and added it to myfitnesspal. OMG! 1236 calories! 59g of fat. Crap. Good job I didn't tell myfitnesspal about the 2 margaritas I washed it down with. I think it'd be fair to say that I completely screwed the diet yesterday. And today is middle child's birthday - fish and chips and chocolate cake for tea. I am never going to be slim....
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

TOFFEE!!!!

Tablet.......they're never going to let you move back now
Back off topic...(Well it is food related)

Did they rename it? When I was younger it was toffee, even though tablet in practice..

Update.
"It wasn't long until the delicacy of Gilmour's Strathaven Toffee, already a household word in Strathaven, became a delicacy known to the sweet toothed far and wide for, from 1924 onwards, Gilmour's sold confectionery wholesale across Central Scotland. Gilmour's Strathaven Toffee, like Strathaven gingerbread before it, put Strathaven firmly on the map."

https://caketastic.wordpress.com/tag...aven-toffee-2/

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 29th 2015 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:04 pm
Austin. TX.

Back off topic...(Well it is food related)

Did they rename it? When I was younger it was toffee, even though tablet in practice..

Update.
"It wasn't long until the delicacy of Gilmour's Strathaven Toffee, already a household word in Strathaven, became a delicacy known to the sweet toothed far and wide for, from 1924 onwards, Gilmour's sold confectionery wholesale across Central Scotland. Gilmour's Strathaven Toffee, like Strathaven gingerbread before it, put Strathaven firmly on the map."
Well, we always called it just tablet...and could buy it in the bakery. So we're probably both right. I will consult the oracle...my friend in Strathaven. :-)
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, we always called it just tablet...and could buy it in the bakery. So we're probably both right. I will consult the oracle...my friend in Strathaven. :-)
No harm there but I do remember the wrapper clearly A kind of wax paper in those days..
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I thought tablet was soft, like fudge, not pull-out-your-fillings sticky, like toffee?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
I thought tablet was soft, like fudge, not pull-out-your-fillings sticky, like toffee?
Yes true but Strathaven 'tablet' was called Strathaven Toffee years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.