Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Old Feb 11th 2015, 7:43 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet and exercise - a group discussion?

Originally Posted by jjmb
So as the weather is perfect here today, I decided to go the local lake (reservoir), kill 2 birds with one, sketch then run. I normally run on concrete paths locally and the lake is crushed granite. My husband loves it but I found it was like treading through treacle, so pace was even slower than normal and in the end, after a 1ΒΌ miles I walked. Which surface do you like to run on? Also I always wonder if I should say run as that implies some sort of speed whereas I moved slightly above my normal walking speed. I probably should say a shuffle walk LOL.
I prefer to run on grass or asphalt. I'm not mad about running on crushed granite or any kind of gravely path.

And don't worry about speed - it's the getting round that matters.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:01 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In my very concerted effort to lose a kg or 10, I had a consultation with a dietician yesterday where I learned nothing new...the only advice she gave me that I wasn't already doing was to eat some peanut butter with my afternoon apple (we eat late). This is disgusting and something that could only be dreamed up here in the USA. I like peanut butter and dark chocolate which is rather like crack cocaine for me (no, I haven't!!!!!) but that would defeat the object of it all..

As I was doing my HIIT on the cross trainer today, I was listening to Dr Peter Attia (a hero of mine) being interviewed by Tim Ferriss (another hero). Both of these guys are seriously hunky and very clever which is my alltime favourite combination btw. Anyway I digress - Dr P said that HIIT using weights is the way to go and that the best "cardio" exercise is walking. I thought of Hotscot then and smiled but then went back tothinking about the 2 hunks I was listening to. This interview is well worth listening to and it's on Tim Ferriss' blog.
I now have an appointment tomorrow with a trainer to give me some weights stuff to do that won't wreck my shoulder and send me back to the surgeon. Who is young but not hunky.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:02 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I got a fitbit last night. I set it up this morning and downloaded the app. I am going for a sit down now. I may attach it to the cat later.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I got a fitbit last night. I set it up this morning and downloaded the app. I am going for a sit down now. I may attach it to the cat later.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Dr P said that HIIT using weights is the way to go and that the best "cardio" exercise is walking.
My HIIT was shoveling the driveway and walkway this morning of new snow.... Excellent weight-lifting workout utilizing most of the large muscles of the body.

To get my walking in for cardio, later on I'll struggle through the snow to refill the bird feeders and add to the compost pile at the back of the garden, then maybe crunch through the woods a half mile to the main road. That's my exercise done & dusted!!

Last edited by WEBlue; Feb 25th 2015 at 1:45 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:44 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up getting one at Christmas. It's not perfect (focuses on step based activities) but what it did do for me was make me think about how much water I'd drink, how (generally) active (or inactive) I'd been and what I was eating and it's definitely had a positive effect on me. A few guys at work got them too so the competitive side of it really helped me.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I like mine, but it makes me realize how inactive I am due to my desk job. I struggle to get my 10,000 steps a day in, I sometimes struggle to get 5,000 in. Last week on vacation, when we weren't particularly active, just doing general vacation type pottering, I easily managed my 10,000 steps per day, I think my highest was 17,000, and did 67 flights of stairs, on the day we walked up to a waterfall. Wish I could find time to do something like that every day.

I do boot camp 4 days a week, but it's not steps activity, so doesn't help with my Fit so much.

One other good thing about it, is it matches up with MyFitnessPal, so if you were wanting to track your calories too, they work well together.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I like mine, but it makes me realize how inactive I am due to my desk job. I struggle to get my 10,000 steps a day in, I sometimes struggle to get 5,000 in. Last week on vacation, when we weren't particularly active, just doing general vacation type pottering, I easily managed my 10,000 steps per day, I think my highest was 17,000, and did 67 flights of stairs, on the day we walked up to a waterfall. Wish I could find time to do something like that every day.

I do boot camp 4 days a week, but it's not steps activity, so doesn't help with my Fit so much.

One other good thing about it, is it matches up with MyFitnessPal, so if you were wanting to track your calories too, they work well together.
I had one and I thought the exact same thing - that I did NOT walk around as much as I thought I did. On days I did not hit the treadmill for 5 miles I struggled to make 5k. I had it hooked up to Loseit and I believe it does the same as MyFitnessPal.

Also does not show weight training or KB, but I use a heart monitor for that.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

I'm another fitbit 'fan' although I don't recommend the disheartening moment when you've been walking for hours, rush into the house to see how many steps you've clocked up only to find out you forgot to put the battery back in!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So, the personal trainer today recommended that I also get a fitbit.....to help me track calories burned mostly. I have a heart rate monitor that I use religiously when exercising but it's a basic model that doesn't tell you calories. I use myfitnesspal a lot..earlier this week I had a brainwave and realised that I could use it in reverse by planning my meals in advance to ensure accurate macro-nutrient intake. I tend to eat the same 2 or 3 things for breakfast and lunch so that's easy enough to do.

Is it worth getting the fitbit charge? Bluetooth and better battery life with the time visible seem to be the extras, are they worth it?

Project Me is underway now...the one thing left to do is get a resting metabolic rate done to determine how many calories I burn at rest. UT Austin does this in their physical therapy department for $90 and the Prof there is excellent, so I might do this next month.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springy6
I'm another fitbit 'fan' although I don't recommend the disheartening moment when you've been walking for hours, rush into the house to see how many steps you've clocked up only to find out you forgot to put the battery back in!
LOL, thanks for that reminder. I got a message yesterday telling me I needed to charge mine.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
So, the personal trainer today recommended that I also get a fitbit.....to help me track calories burned mostly. I have a heart rate monitor that I use religiously when exercising but it's a basic model that doesn't tell you calories. I use myfitnesspal a lot..earlier this week I had a brainwave and realised that I could use it in reverse by planning my meals in advance to ensure accurate macro-nutrient intake. I tend to eat the same 2 or 3 things for breakfast and lunch so that's easy enough to do.

Is it worth getting the fitbit charge? Bluetooth and better battery life with the time visible seem to be the extras, are they worth it?

Project Me is underway now...the one thing left to do is get a resting metabolic rate done to determine how many calories I burn at rest. UT Austin does this in their physical therapy department for $90 and the Prof there is excellent, so I might do this next month.
The battery on my Fitbit One lasts around 2 weeks, so I wouldn't pay any more for an advanced battery.

For MyFitnessPal, did you know you can log recipes directly from Cooking Light, My Recipes... You just click the log it button on those sites, and it puts it in your recipes on the MFP app, you can then just select the recipe and add it to your diary when you eat it? I thought that was a nice feature, as I hate putting recipes in...
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

For MyFitnessPal, did you know you can log recipes directly from Cooking Light, My Recipes... You just click the log it button on those sites, and it puts it in your recipes on the MFP app, you can then just select the recipe and add it to your diary when you eat it? I thought that was a nice feature, as I hate putting recipes in...
Do you think that myfitness pal is more user friendly than loseit?

I was thinking about using that instead of loseit.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:27 am
Rootbeeraholic

I've found the same. I don't think there's anyway you can hit 10,000 steps at a desk job on an average day unless you go out of your way to hit it.

Last edited by Bink; Feb 26th 2015 at 12:42 am.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

My DH got me a fitbit flex for my birthday last year (Aug) and it was great until the middle of Sept. After going through the reset steps with CS with no joy, they sent me a replacement. That one lasted until the 1st week in Dec. I decided to cut my losses as reading the forums they seem prone to breakdown. The CS was excellent. I do miss it clocking up my steps though.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by toopie28
Do you think that myfitness pal is more user friendly than loseit?

I was thinking about using that instead of loseit.
I haven't used loseit, I should imagine they are similar. I find myfitnesspal easy to use. Just looked at loseit, and it looks like some features are locked unless you pay an annual subscription.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.