Did the US Deport a USC?

Old Jan 26th 2020, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did the US Deport a USC?

21 in Colorado
Old Jan 26th 2020, 2:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking purely to the title of the thread, it happens fairly frequently. Some sources say at least a couple hundred a year. A guy who had done some work on my car got detained by ICE without documentation, placed behind bars and in deportation proceedings for about a month. For a week or two, everyone thought that he must have just gone missing. He had been a USC for about 15 years at the time. A big problem is that once ICE decides someone is not a USC, they deny access to anyone or anything that might prove the right to stay. In this guy’s case, once it was discovered that he was with ICE (don’t remember how it became known) his boss hired an attorney who was also denied access to him. The attorney ended up taking it to the newspaper and kicking up a big enough stink that someone finally listened and released the guy.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes there were some blanks but the other three siblings were US Citizens and therefore I doubt this one was just forgotten about and fell through the cracks. He did not get citizenship because he wasn't eligible. I suspect the reason it took months to get through the removal proceedings was precisely because multiple lawyers got involved to sort it out.
The others were most probably born in the US and are automatically USCs. How many immigrants to the US or any other country are unknowing about the laws, rules and regulations of that country regarding immigration, etc.

I know that you hold US citizenship but have not lived here in decades but are an expert on all things immigrational in the US. I was asking a question which could generate multiple responses.

I don't care that situations like this are "debated" by Usual Suspects on this forum. We would not be discussing this at all had it not been for his multiple arrests and a probation violation. After his first offence, the police actually drove him home and just left him alone. It was only after he became a repeat offender that deportation proceedings began.
You seem to live a somewhat insular life in regards to teenagers and minor crimes in the US. It is much the same as in the UK in many ways that the offender is given a scare and a caution and left to go home and ponder his mistake.

Frankly, if you don't care why are you posting? And posting with such vengeance?

"The Usual Suspect"

Last edited by Rete; Jan 26th 2020 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It would also seem that the US should have much, much bigger fish to fry in terms of poverty, gangs, drug running and violence. Deporting one teenager who has zero connection to Mexico and is therefore very likely to return anyway and be part of the underground economy would seem to be neither here nor there.
I tend to agree with you. I always feel bad when there are stories about young people being deported back to a country they have no ties to, in some cases may not even speak the language.

Canada deports people in similiar circumstances although the system here is a bit more transparent.

Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Indeed. But not a quiet kid smoking a bit of weed. Gangs tear families apart, and kill children and adults, and incarcerate young men. Yes, completely agree. Arresting a person for personal use will do absolutely zero to address that, which is why so many states are now going down the legalization road.

It is also why the US should focus on its exportation of weapons to the cartels.

Edit to add: And "flippant"? No. A friend of my son's was killed in a drive by, by a gang, only a few days after his high school graduation. Had his head blown apart. He wasn't in a gang, but he was with other kids some of whom were and a rival gang did the drive by. Let's focus on that, hmm? Because it's young people like that dying or having their lives ruined to run an illegal business for grown ups making a profit off using kids to sell an illegal substance, and kill and die for it.
The violence in Mexico has nothing to do with the US exporting weapons to Mexico. Mexico is a very wealthy country; they're in the G-20. Mexico is responsible for Mexicans, not the United States. Mexico has a long history of civil wars because of their class system; eventually society explodes (kinda like the London riots of 2011 which were under-reported)

We have enough of our own problems (i.e., drive by shootings). And one of the reasons we don't address "our problems" because we are distracted by illegal immigration. Do the Rich really need more people to clean their toilets? Maybe they should clean their own toilets, eh?

Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I know that you hold US citizenship but have not lived here in decades
This is not correct.

You seem to live a somewhat insular life in regards to teenagers and minor crimes in the US. It is much the same as in the UK in many ways that the offender is given a scare and a caution and left to go home and ponder his mistake.
This is also not correct. I am very familiar with crime statistics, contemporary and historical. The overwhelming majority of American - and European - teenagers have no arrest record whatsoever and find it no sweat at all to avoid ever being arrested. While a (simple) majority try marijuana, very few ever go on to become regular users or even habitual recreational users. The person in question is very much not in the mainstream or "a kid being a kid."

In this particular case, the individual did not run into deportation issues until he re-offended and got arrested again.

I believe you thoroughly misinterpret and misunderstand the function of the DACA and the proposed DREAM Act. I doubt very much the person in question would qualify for DACA based on his criminal record and the good moral character test. Additionally from that, a certain number of cumulative misdemeanours also disqualifies one from DACA and it is unclear whether that applies here though it seems it is, at minimum, an open question. I believe this is why he never enrolled in the program and believe it is highly likely someone along the line, from a public defender to a school administrator, investigated it on his behalf before deportation came to a head. DACA is not a secret program that few know about.

Politically the intention of DACA was never, ever to be a "hands off" card to take deportation off the table in cases of criminal behaviour, multiple arrests or repeat offenses. Use of the program in that way, is radical policy prescription that is not in line with community expectations - which is why no Democratic nominee will ever put that on the table if the program survives, which I believe it will.

Frankly, if you don't care why are you posting? And posting with such vengeance?

"The Usual Suspect"
Because I actually want to win the next election. Aggressively pushing radical interpretations of policy, anti-police and anti-ICE platforms, and recycled ideas from the 1970s are quick ways to hand a victory to Trump.

It is like some people on here are totally unaware of anything that's happened the last 5-6 years, and are content to keep playing the role of Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I'm not.

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 27th 2020 at 5:01 am.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 11:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Kid wasn't a USC from the facts presented.

As a GA resident I have no problem with my state, nor the Feds, prosecuting weed use to the fullest extent of the law.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, 21 Savage is still in the U.S.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neill
Meanwhile, 21 Savage is still in the U.S.
He has been honoured by the National Immigration Law Center for his demand that nayone coming here as a child should automatically be given Citizenship.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:52 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Minor children not born in the US still have to have the paperwork done through the Immigration Dept to be issued a Certificate of Naturalization. How would they obtain passports later on unless they could prove they were citizens since they could not otherwise show a birth certificate that they were born in the US. At least one of the parents has to be a US citizen at time of filing for the child
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

There is also a presence requirement for the US Parent. So yes most USC's can pass citizenship but a few can not.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:08 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boiler;12796857]There is also a presence requirement for the US Parent. So yes most USC's can pass citizenship but a few can not.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of citizenship classes available, many held in the evenings. No excuse for not taking one. The immigration official who interviewed me asked me to write a simple sentence in English and asked me to name the three branches of Government. That was it. She also remarked that those applying for citizenship very often know far more about the Constitution than citizens already born here

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 27th 2020 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dc koop;12796864]
Originally Posted by Boiler
There is also a presence requirement for the US Parent. So yes most USC's can pass citizenship but a few can not.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of citizenship classes available, many held in the evenings. No excuse for not taking one. The immigration official who interviewed me asked me to write a simple sentence in English and asked me to name the three branches of Government. That was it. She also remarked that those applying for citizenship very often know far more about the Constitution than citizens already born here
I think Boiler is referring to passing on US citizenship to children born overseas, not passing an exam. I think the law is the USC parent has to have lived in the US for 5 years, and 2 of those years have to had come after the age of 14, to be able to pass down citizenship. Or something like that.