Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

dodgy past ---- apply here.....

dodgy past ---- apply here.....

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default dodgy past ---- apply here.....

This was just sent my way....
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14911467

"Hi HN,
My name is Richard Bronson and I'm the founder/CEO of 70MillionJobs (https://www.70millionjobs.com). Our website is the Internet's first job board for 70 million Americans—1 in 3 adults—with criminal records.

I'm something of a domain expert in this area because I myself have a criminal record. In the early 1990s, I worked on Wall Street and some of what I did was illegal. For a time I was a partner at the infamous Wolf of Wall Street firm, Stratton Oakmont (Scorcese film). I went on to build a large financial services firm, but despite having paid everyone back, I ended up with a 2 year Federal prison sentence. I was guilty.

I experienced first hand how difficult it was to get on with life after going through the "system." I served as Director at Defy Ventures, a great non-profit in the reentry space, but was interested in a scalable solution to ex-offender unemployment and resultant recidivism. I felt a new, for-profit, tech-based approach was necessary, so I launched 70MillionJobs. We're seeking "double bottom-line" returns: make money and do social good.

Like most job boards, our business model is based upon employers paying to advertise their jobs. We expect additional revenue to come from municipalities, who spend tens of billions of dollars annually, when someone is rearrested.

You might not be surprised to learn that most formerly incarcerated men and women are petrified to discuss their background with prospective employers. So we created a "safe haven" where all parties knew the score, and applicants could relax knowing that jobs being offered were with companies that accepted their pasts.

Since many of our applicants don't have a laptop or easy access to the Internet, we send out text alerts they can easily respond to. Because most of these folks have limited work experience and limited formal education, we plan on building a video resume platform to accompany their resumes. In person, many of these folks are respectful, bright and personable, so this will show them at their best."

I wonder which jobs will be advertised?

do you think they'll ask for references and from whom????
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dodgy past ---- apply here.....

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I wonder which jobs will be advertised?
Stick your zip code in. I put mine in and there were 2 pages of job advertisements. The ones I mostly saw were manual jobs, such as moving stock around.

do you think they'll ask for references and from whom????
If I were a hiring manager for one of these programs I would probably ask for a reference from their probation officer.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 10:57 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has a criminal record (for stealing from his employer!) and he has only been unemployed for a total of 8 months since leaving prison in 1993.

Finding somewhere to live has always been more difficult.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 11:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that it's a serious problem for people needing to get work after serving a prison sentence.

It did make me laugh though because this company is asking for funding for this business and I'm not sure I would trust the founder with huge amounts of money just based on what he wrote
"I worked on Wall Street and some of what I did was illegal. For a time I was a partner at the infamous Wolf of Wall Street firm, Stratton Oakmont (Scorcese film). I went on to build a large financial services firm, but despite having paid everyone back, I ended up with a 2 year Federal prison sentence. I was guilty."
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that it's a serious problem for people needing to get work after serving a prison sentence.

It did make me laugh though because this company is asking for funding for this business and I'm not sure I would trust the founder with huge amounts of money just based on what he wrote
"I worked on Wall Street and some of what I did was illegal. For a time I was a partner at the infamous Wolf of Wall Street firm, Stratton Oakmont (Scorcese film). I went on to build a large financial services firm, but despite having paid everyone back, I ended up with a 2 year Federal prison sentence. I was guilty."
Honesty is a good thing, ..... but on this occasion doesn't fill me with confidence.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Stick your zip code in. I put mine in and there were 2 pages of job advertisements. The ones I mostly saw were manual jobs, such as moving stock around. ..
Of the first ten for my zip code, five were for Lyft drivers, ....

One was for a physical therapist .... willing to relocate to a distant part of the state.

One was for a doctor (that doesn't sound like their target demographic )

Once was looking for a registered nurse ..... for job with the department of corrections!

And then was production line work, and one was in a warehouse.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:34 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I read about this a few weeks back, more here -> https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri.../#15730b127be7

Fair play - i think it's a good idea, people do change.

All top 10 results in my area were warehouse and sales. kinda makes sense as theres so many big warehouses nearby. 2 best buy sales consultant jobs on it too.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:59 pm
Austin. TX.

I wonder if the Indeed web crawlers will pick up these jobs? Unless Indeed specifically excludes them, I don't see how this site can stop them.

Can you imagine the questions? "What did you do and for how long" whole new meaning!!
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what is special about these listings. Mine produced a long list of manual jobs interspersed with an Operating Room Nurse, CPAs and Clinical Psychologist.

I know 100% that several of the employers only accept on-line applications so I am not sure how it specially helps applicants (who) don't have a laptop or easy access to the Internet

I did once employ someone for a warehouse position in the UK who had an unexplained gap of 6 years in his employment history, and later admitted he had been in jail. He turned out to be one of the best, hard working, honest and loyal employees because he was so grateful that he had been given a chance.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 4:10 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

I did once employ someone for a warehouse position in the UK who had an unexplained gap of 6 years in his employment history, and later admitted he had been in jail. He turned out to be one of the best, hard working, honest and loyal employees because he was so grateful that he had been given a chance.
Thanks for that positive story! That certainly matches up with my husband's approach to work and many other things in life.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 9:24 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Like most job boards, our business model is based upon employers paying to advertise their jobs.
Wait, what???
I am asked to pay to advertise on a job board specifically targeting people with criminal records. Why would I do that? If I'm OK with an employee having a criminal record then why not just advertise as normal
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no jobs matching your selection.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:28 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Wait, what???
I am asked to pay to advertise on a job board specifically targeting people with criminal records. Why would I do that? If I'm OK with an employee having a criminal record then why not just advertise as normal
feel good factor?