British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Denver / Rapid City pointers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/denver-rapid-city-pointers-894576/)

Mitzyboy Mar 28th 2017 1:31 pm

Denver / Rapid City pointers

Hi all

I usually pop in here for "on the spot" advice when I'm planning a trip to the US.

This one involves, more or less, Denver - Deadwood / Rapid City area - back down past Denver and then West through the national parks to Las Vegas.

Obviously there's a lot for me to see and do between Denver & LV, but as the wife wants to see the Presidents I have that trip up north and back to sort out. Anything you can recommend to see in that area.

Appreciate your help, thanks

Former Lancastrian Mar 28th 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Denver / Rapid City pointers

If doing South Dakota then definitely a trip through The Badlands National Park is worth it. For cheap souvenir items and a walk around then visit Wall Drug in the town of Wall. Around Mt Rushmore there is scenic highway 16 that is worth the drive. Custer State Park is also OK. Keystone is also a neat little place for motels close to Mt Rushmore.

Mitzyboy Mar 28th 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12215225)
If doing South Dakota then definitely a trip through The Badlands National Park is worth it. For cheap souvenir items and a walk around then visit Wall Drug in the town of Wall. Around Mt Rushmore there is scenic highway 16 that is worth the drive. Custer State Park is also OK. Keystone is also a neat little place for motels close to Mt Rushmore.

Thank you

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 29th 2017 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 12215463)
Thank you

When you are in SD go to the Crazy Horse Monument. It is a work in progress but is amazing to see. It is not far from Rushmore or from Deadwood.

Loved that area and will go back again one day:fingerscrossed:

Jayney2 Mar 29th 2017 11:08 am

I really liked Badlands too. I think it was one of the first National Parks I saw in the USA along with Mount Rushmore. Another one in the area is Wind Caves which I was less impressed with than the others, but that's just me. We also went to Devils Tower National Monument, however that is in eastern Wyoming and may be somewhat out of your way.

For me the best must see place would be Badlands.

ddsrph Mar 30th 2017 4:48 pm

There is a 1880 steam train that runs near deadwood. I think Hill City to Keystone. I did it a few years ago. Has some good scenery along the way. Course is about 20 miles.

jkeller Mar 30th 2017 5:15 pm

The Mammoth site in Hot Springs SD.

What time of the year are going? That part of South Dakota is very busy in the summer time with a lot of RV'ers.

Here is a driving video from Mt Rushmore to Rapid City. It's a beautiful area. I worked for a while in the area. Once you get out of the black hills though it gets pretty uninteresting in comparison.

jkeller Mar 30th 2017 5:34 pm

If you are driving from Denver to Vegas you are in for some amazing views, enjoy.

jkeller Apr 1st 2017 1:14 am

I can't believe I almost forgot Carhenge. No need to go to that Salisbury Plain monument when you can go to Alliance Nebraska. :thumbup:

Carhenge ® | of Alliance, Nebraska